Gas tank open?

kickinit

Registered
Ok just curious if anyone has came up with something to keep their gas tank open. I would have thought they(Suzuki) would have made something but I guess at least on my bike im wrong.

Anyone came up with their own design?

As usual I'm confused, but at the gas station I just leave the key in it and it usually stays open. If you're talking about keeping the tank up when doing maintenance; there's a rod in the trunk that does a good job. Hope that helps...........

I took a goldwing radio knob, shortened a key and made a gas cap key. It only opens the gas cap. I leave it in the gas cap all the time. I don't need to remove the ignition key to fill up. Just take the gas key out if the Busa is left out overnight when away from home.

As usual I'm confused, but at the gas station I just leave the key in it and it usually stays open. If you're talking about keeping the tank up when doing maintenance; there's a rod in the trunk that does a good job. Hope that helps...........

Yeah it was a long day man... I was thinking about keeping it open for maintenance (the tank itself). I dont have any rods, trunk as you call it does not exsist since I have a 1piece tail. Previous owner, but you did answer one question. You dont by chance have a picture of this rod do ya? Otherwise I might be making one up at work.

I'm to lazy to pull mine out and usually use a rubber mallet between the neck and the tank. It's made from 1/4 rod ( my estimate ) but has several bends in it. I'm not at home or I would take a pic of it. If you get one and use it, it goes in the whole in the center nut of the top clamp and one of the bolt holes at the front of the tank. Best of luck.

I'm to lazy to pull mine out and usually use a rubber mallet between the neck and the tank. It's made from 1/4 rod ( my estimate ) but has several bends in it. ( Fuel Tank Prop Stay ) I'm not at home or I would take a pic of it. If you get one and use it, it goes in the whole in the center nut of the top clamp ( Steering Stem Head Nut ) and one of the bolt holes at the front of the tank. Best of luck.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/24284-permanent-shop-manual-hosting.html

Try page 365

I use a bike tie down strap from tank to grab bar on back... works just fine..

HPIM2888 [50%].jpg
HPIM2889 [50%].jpg

here there are

HPIM2888 [50%].jpg

HPIM2889 [50%].jpg

Last edited:
I thought you meant keep the cap open. Keeping the tank propped up with the factory prop rod or a long screwdriver etc.

I usually hang it upside down from the carport...then the tank stays up/down by itself~!~

strap bike.jpg

He's talking about the gas cap, not propping up the tank. It's very delicately balanced; when I added the CF accents, just that tiny bit of additional weight on the cap makes it fall back closed even with my keys in it. I have the same problem have not figured out a solution yet.

I made my own prop out of threaded rod curved in all the right places then I slipped gas line over it.. :thumbsup:
I keep it on the shelve of the tool box handy at all times..

Gas cap I have a keyless one that is kinda of pain because there's no were to put it when filling her up.. :whistle:

thanks for the pics and info, appreciate it!

Im going to try and find a used one, otherwise looks pretty easy to just make one up at work.

thanks, problem solved!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Last edited:
thanks for the pics and info, appreciate it!

Im going to try and find a used one, otherwise looks pretty easy to just make one up at work.

thanks, problem solved!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Might take a peek on Ebay...Item number: 140350870046

Here's one for $5 but he's way over charging for shipping~!~

Should be able to find one for 7-8 bucks including s/h

I'm to lazy to pull mine out and usually use a rubber mallet between the neck and the tank. It's made from 1/4 rod ( my estimate ) but has several bends in it. I'm not at home or I would take a pic of it. If you get one and use it, it goes in the whole in the center nut of the top clamp and one of the bolt holes at the front of the tank. Best of luck.

Ditto :thumbsup:

Back