Gas milelage

det45

Registered
Check this out, some dude told me that if you keep your vehicle under 2000 RPM while driving your gas milelage will almost double. I am putting this to the test with my 2003 F-150 5spd manual V6. So far I have gone 300 miles on a half of tank! My truck cruises at 60MPH @ 2000 RPM. Grant you that going 60MPH on the highway irritates some drivers but they're not paying for my gas. (I have a 23 Gallon gas tank) Once I finish this tank of gas, I'll compute my milelage and post it. :thumbsup:

figured out my wrangler gets 35 miles to the gallon, if i'm cruising at 47 mph, on flat ground, with no headwind. but you couldn't pay me to drive that slow.

I totally agree, I couldn't drive that slow myself. As I said when I posted this thread my truck runs 60 MPH @ 2000 RPM so that's resonable for me being that the speed limit is 65 MPH. I'm just experimenting to see what kind of milelage I can get with this truck driving under 2000 RPM.

figured out my wrangler gets 35 miles to the gallon, if i
'm cruising at 47 mph, on flat ground, with no headwind. but you couldn't pay me to drive that slow.

I get around 20 from my 01 Chevy x-cab 2wd 4.3 V6. let a buddy who drives a 2500HD Chevy with the 8.1 drive it on a trip, he came back complaining it only got around 12 mpg. Asked him how he drove it, and he said same as he does his. He is a known lead foot and averages less than 10 in his truck. I explained to him that if you drive a V6 lke it's a big block, you will get crappy mileage. I don't let the tach past 2500, set the cruise on 6 over the limit on the highway and roll. Driving style has everything to do with mileage....

Don't know about doubling your mileage, but you definitely can improve it by short shifting. The best thing is to accelerate gently, shift early, and avoid stopping whenever you can. If your vehicle is automatic, let off the gas early and you might be surprised how far you can coast, such as approaching red lights and such. Also with an automatic trans, you can ease off the gas pedal to encourage an early upshift when accelterating.

I'm getting 18mpg out of my 09 2500 Z71. On the way to work I'm going about 70 but at night on the way home I try to keep it around 65.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can cruise at 60 MPH turning only 1400 RPM... Turbo Diesel baby.:bowdown:
Last long trip I got 22 mpg,not bad for a large 1 ton crew cab.If I drive it like I stole it...my miliage can fall to 13.9mpg.

RSD.

Don't know about doubling your mileage, but you definitely can improve it by short shifting. The best thing is to accelerate gently, shift early, and avoid stopping whenever you can. If your vehicle is automatic, let off the gas early and you might be surprised how far you can coast, such as approaching red lights and such. Also with an automatic trans, you can ease off the gas pedal to encourage an early upshift when accelterating.

Good advice on the short shifting. Currently we are teaching all our drivers across the country something called S.A.F.E.D ( safe and fuel effeceint driving). It teaches them to look further ahead and plan better but also how to block change or skip shift. This is when you miss out a gear change, for instance moving off from standstill and using firm acceleration but not hammering it change up from 1st to 3rd and then if space and speed permit up into 5th, this reduces clutch wear and saves time and can help to improve gas mileage, it can also be done going down the box so rather than shifting from 5th to 4 th to 3rd approaching a stop sign or turn circle look , observe at what may cause you to stop or slow down use the brake and then select the gear required to keep moving say approach in 5th slow down and select 3rd and continue on your way, less gear changes = less effort by you, so less is more as you are carrying more speed and not using lots of your power to shift the truck and it's rolling resistance.

my 67 plymouth gets about 4 mpg....:laugh:

all those estimated mpg numbers are based on 55 mph...highway and 25 mph city speeds...most vehicles will get there best milage at 55 mph on highway not slower, not faster

Sorta. The fuel economy reporting changed in 07 to include a wider variety of drive traces.

Most of your fuel economy loss is from aerodynamic drag, which increases exponentially with vehicle speed. Anything will get better fuel economy if you slow down. This isn't rocket science. :D

I think this tank of gas will last me all winter in the busa...:laugh:

Mileage was never a consideration on this purchase.BusA

In the wee truck the mileage drops off at 60 mph for sure

Back