Garage door spring

MoNoXiDe

Registered
So I'm sitting at work and my wife calls me saying she can't open the garage door and she needs me to come home and help her. I instantly think that someone had pulled the emergency release and she can't connect it back. So, I get there and nope its not that. I notice that one of my springs broke. I looked on ebay to see if I can order a spring and I did. I measured from end to end etc. Now that I ordered it I am a little worried that I wasted my money because I've seen horror story posts online about it. Has anyone had this happen and replaced them? What am I in for?

It is best if done by a professional, but I have installed one before. There are videos out on the web as well for reference and of course the instruction book that should come with the spring. You just have to be very careful not to let it "spring" back at you and to not over tighten it.

It is best if done by a professional, but I have installed one before. There are videos out on the web as well for reference and of course the instruction book that should come with the spring. You just have to be very careful not to let it "spring" back at you and to not over tighten it.

Ya, the reviews I've read said you can really get messed up by one. Broken Jaw was probably the worse one I read. I know one said it can cause death but didn't read of anyone dieing doing it.

I would suggest putting some calls out to garage door service companies in your area, it may only be around $75 or so to install. It might be worth your time and money just to let some one else do it.

There has to be a safety cable through the inside of the spring for the full length or someone can get killed.

You also have to make sure you rewind the cable on the pully on the end of the spring rod, I am pretty mechanical, but I pay someone to do that, its less than a 100 bucks and saves my knuckles. :laugh:

From memory as a kid if the door is up there's no tension on the spring and therefore less danger.

I've done several. You can buy the springs at your local Menards, Lowes etc. There are a never ending amount of different types and you should take the old one in with you to match up as there are many variables which make it easy to accidentally get the wrong one. No need to order when every big box store in your area carries them.
If it's a torsion spring, you'll need a set of rods to wind it which are like $10 bucks for the pair. If you have more than one spring, they are BOTH supposed to be replaced at the same time to allow even opening.

You'll need a bit of upper body strength to wind the spring (mandatory man card confiscation if you can't). Instructions are in the box and easy to follow. Even at that, if you don't do your own wrenching and/or are the Darwin Award type, then DO NOT attempt it! If you let go of one of the rods with your face in the way, you'll be in for a world of hurt.
Imo the biggest danger is loosening the tension from the spring that's still good.

My garage has a deluxe type torsion spring system which winds with a tool you attach to a battery drill. You just wind until all the painted dashes make a solid line and you're done. If you have that type, it's safe and next to impossible to hurt yourself.

The old fashioned extension springs are easier and a bit safer as long as you have the safety cable. I remember when one of those broke from normal wear and tear at our house when I was a kid. Piece of the spring shot across the garage and embedded itself deep into a 2X4 wall stud. Could have easily killed someone. Garage was built in the late 60s before things like safety cables were mandatory.

+1000 on having a professional change it. The guy that changed my parents spring was limping because one had sprung back on him a few days before and thew him off his ladder. To me it is not worth risking my next riding season being injured.

Per the repair guy spring and fall are the busy times because the temperature change makes the metal brittle.

THIS is one thing that I would let a pro handle. It can KILL you. Seriously, be CAREFUL homie!

If you have the wound spring type on your door there is no problem at all in changing it. Go to the local Westlake, Menards, Home Depot, or Lowes and they should have what you need. There is usually a chart that references the size and approximate weight of your door. With the door in the up position there is very little if any tension on the spring. I wouldn't be afraid at all of changing the spring as I have replaced several over the years and had no problem at all. As far as the torsion bar type, I've had no experience

if you have two, you should be buying a pair and not just one. I had a Genie put in contracted by Lowes about two months ago and also I bougt at Lowes the rubber rollers and replaced all those myself. You can't hear that think open or close anymore. I to read the stories and would not even consider this job myself.

Back