Fur Bearing Predator hunting

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
Happy new year orgsters and hope everyone had a great holiday season. Just wanted to see how many of you enjoy going coyote, fox, bobcat etc hunting and what rigs you use to do so. I just bought my boy for xmas his first dedicated coyote gun. We love to go out into the desert and mountain washes to go calling.

Savage XP axis .223 with 9x bushnell

My new coyote gun
DPMS Panther Bull 24'' with Leopuld Mark AR 12x scope.

warrens gun.jpg

dads gun.jpg

WHAT!!! an ar used for legitimate hunting purposes???? and not for killing innocent baby's??? :poke: lol very nice set up

I can't believe you let a child play with such a weapon.
I'm emailing a link to this thread to big brother!

Thank you. I purposely bought this gun because I needed something a lil bit smaller than a 30-06 for coyote hunting. The first thing I went and bought was a five round magazine just so I can hunt. even scoping this thing in i have never used a 30 magazine. I have some just because but I highly doubt this gun will ever see them. It's a lil on the heavy side for hike hunting but ill give that up for consistent accuracy any day. I did however had to buy a one inch riser for the scope because it doesn't have an adjustable stock.

Great set up.. However.. I have a fundamental problem hunting for the Predator. When you kill one or a mother and a litter which effectively results in the same net effect; reduced population due to reduced fertility and fruition or birthrate. Hence, declining population of the predator and an unnatural population boom for prey. The results are predictable based on the model of Yellowstone park's wildlife management program which stated that the environmental cost of predator abatement was worse than the original population's detriment at the fangs of the wolf. They had to spend millions on a well managed and perfectly modeled canine social development study on near natural conditions working out of blinds like the original poster of this thread. This, in order to replace the animals abated by the pioneers on the Oregon trail.. Poor Okies, they bared the burden of ignorance on the path west. It was wild and it was yours, put down that claim. Blindness costs... Stubbornness costs... Learning wins and knowledge pays... Look at Cesar Millan who profits from his innately developed understanding of the canine psyche.

ah......???

Dont hunt wolves, hunt coyotes.......varmint......not endangered......wtf

Well man.. Your opinion is something you are certainly entitled to. However, the Coyote represents the apex predator in your territory since big cats and wolves were eradicated. Failing to understand the ramifications of your killing of a single Coyote will likely result in the infestation of your home area with extensive and damaging varmints and rodents which will inevitably bring pathogens hitching a ride on these vectors. It's all good, the worst that can happen is that you get bit by a rat that comes into your house and that ain't too bad but what could be is the Bubonic Plague that is present in the stowaway fleas and ticks that reside on such creatures. No big deal right? :poke: ???

Arg........ Maybe i should just start shooting baby chickens? Would that be better? Coyotes are overabundent in arizona. Hunters harvest tens of thousands of coyotes a year across the state and populations have maintained steadily. Plus i live in a subdivision with no coyotes....your point is invalid.

Hardly invalid but if you just want to play ping pong with your one sentence replies versus my not one sentence replies, I've got all night. :moon:

So... Now you've got to look at the increase in food supply for the other major predator on the ground over there; the rattlesnake. I suppose you would rather see your son bit by a diamondback or copperhead. :poke: :laugh:

I see a point here. Coyotes litters are controlled by there population, habitat and amount of food. A ***** has a litter of 4 pups in the spring, you blow up 6 guess how many in the next spring? 6-8.
Now dont get me wrong, I like blowing up coyotes also and I just called my buddy the other night saying I am wanting to go hunt them.
The reason I like to hunt them are, Challenging, Fast paced hunting, setup, call and blow up, next spot!:thumbsup:

I used these when I did a lot of prairie dog hunting. I've tried my luck at coyote hunting a couple of times over the last few year with no luck. My problem is I don't have enough land to do more than 1 or two setups. I do have fun trying though. The first is savage with a Burris 8x32 ballistic plex and the second is a DPMS lower custom built with a Burris Black Diamond 8x32 ballistic plex. This gun is a tack driver.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Coyotes are over abundant in Utah as well. Do an internet search on "Utah coyote bounty"

I'm thinking about picking up another varmint rig. A POF with a good tactical scope. Heavy, but rugged and reliable.

Back