Full Exhaust System Or Suspension

jdub

Registered
Right now i have a busa with a full hindle exhaust on it. not brock just the norm. I was just about to change it up when a friend of mine started talking about suspension upgrades. So i did a search on the board and did some reading. After reading what greg at hpc did for george it got me thinking. I was never to concern what my suspension setup was like. Just give me two wheels and let me do my thing. So my question is 2 fold. If you had to choose between the two meaning exhaust or suspension which would you do first? Second what is the expense involved? Not looking to do anything crazy. Trying to keep it reasonable. Im a street rider and like to get in the curves.

How big are you? I am 6'2" 250 and the stock suspension tightened up a bit is fine. Eventually I will do a full suspension mod but only because I want it, not because I need it.

BTW, I live in NW Arkansas we have lots of twisties to ride here.

Don

Go with the suspension. You didn't mention your budget, but upgrading the suspension is a huge improvement.

Traxxion Dynamics do incredible work, and have great support.

Good luck with your decision.

im looking to spend around a $1000. im 5ft 10 and weigh 245. my bike feels good. but that could be more because im use to it. im pretty sure it can be improved.

Don't think because your exhaust is a Hindle that it is inferior. It's not. If you want better power but good sound, try a stepped Hindle system. Much better power delivery over the standard street system. I've had both and can't beat the stepped system performance.

I think that if i were at the crossroads your at trying to decide which direction to go that i would sit back and think of what type of rider your are. Are you an aggressive/spirited corner carver, a touring long distance rider or a general ride/cruise around guy. No matter what type of riding you do you can benefit from suspension upgrades, but they aren't always necessary. Maybe a simple adjustment of the stock components might suit you fine. You don't always have to spend money to improve your bike's performance.

I would consider myself a hybrib rider based on your comments gmbusa. i do all of the type of riding you described. I like the exhaust thats on the bike. it was on there when i purchased it. but people get your ear and you start thinking. maybe a exhaust upgrade is in order. then i figured well since its on there why reinvent the wheel. so i moved on to something else that will enhance my riding experience. not looking to spend for the sake of spending. im into doing whatever will enhance the fun on my busa.

(jdub @ Feb. 17 2007,13:44) I would consider myself a hybrib rider based on your comments gmbusa. i do all of the type of riding you described. I like the exhaust thats on the bike. it was on there when i purchased it. but people get your ear and you start thinking. maybe a exhaust upgrade is in order. then i figured well since its on there why reinvent the wheel. so i moved on to something else that will enhance my riding experience. not looking to spend for the sake of spending. im into doing whatever will enhance the fun on my busa.
Honestly, do the suspension. From the sounds of it, you and I are similar style riders. Heck, I ride around town for the fun of it, but I LOVE the twisties... I also ride distanes (though not TOO incredibly long, about 200Miles at most). I'm gonna TRY and get suspension work done before I go to the Busa Bash... TRY...

(jdub @ Feb. 17 2007,05:22) Right now i have a busa with a full hindle exhaust on it. not brock just the norm. I was just about to change it up when a friend of mine started talking about suspension upgrades. So i did a search on the board and did some reading. After reading what greg at hpc did for george it got me thinking. I was never to concern what my suspension setup was like. Just give me two wheels and let me do my thing. So my question is 2 fold. If you had to choose between the two meaning exhaust or suspension which would you do first? Second what is the expense involved? Not looking to do anything crazy. Trying to keep it reasonable. Im a street rider and like to get in the curves.
Firstly?..I don't believe any of us here can advise you "acurrately & definitively" on which mods would be best to do first "for you"...without knowing you're personal riding habits and skill level or?...your personal priorities concerning what areas of perfomance are of most importance too you personally...and asking a few questions...such as..

a. Is most of your riding "real agressive twisties"...or?..."straight line hot rodding and super slab sport touring"?

and?...

b. What's your skill level?

Cause unless you live in, or often times frequent hardcore agressive twisty sportbike mecas or are a track day junkie?...you'll not recognize the benefits of upgraded suspension as often as you should or?..would brake and exhaust upgrades. And btw....when it comes to suspension upgrades?...we're talking about $2,000 to do it right...full house revalved forks $1,000 and a new penske rear shock at near or about $1,100.

I've personally found that with proper tuning?..that the FULLY ADJUSTABLE stock o.e.m. suspenders are more than adequate road gear for the vast majority of street riders out there and even offer up a "How To Tune & Adjust Your Adjustable Suspension" link here...

Personally speaking?...as you are my friend?..i advise that you adjust and tune your stock suspension before making the $2grand decision and then?...if ya want the most bang for the buck?...

1. Do the "Braided Brakelines and EBC Pads" mod

and then?...

2. Go with a FULL exhaust

and the reason i recommend that?...is this...

Going with a Full Exhaust is imho an even better suspension mod than the dang $2K suspension mod itself...and here's why...."WEIGHT-SAVINGS"....the busa loses a good 30lbs with just about any full exhaust system out there...and that 30lbs "OFF THE STOCK SUSPENSION"?..makes a very noticable dif in the bikes handling charateristics....imho?...moreso than does the freaking high-end suspension mod itself..and then for bonus points?..your busa gains about 8-10rwhp.

Frugal shopping can land you a lightweight brand new full exhaust for about $600..tag on another $270 for a PCIIIUSB and then apply the change left over towards news brake pads and lines upgrade.

JMHO and?...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I would go with the full exhaust, but you already have something else (non stock). I don't feel I need to upgrade the suspension. I still have stock exhaust system, but hopefully not for long, looking to buy full system Yoshimura R22.
beerchug.gif

Correct suspentions set ups will add a lot more performance to your bike than any exhaust system. It will give you a lot more control and confidence. Until you've set up your suspention to your weight and riding type, you can't imagine the difference it makes  
race.gif

J-i dont know u from adam son, but "i feel ya", so in MY opinion:go for the suspension upgrades... new fork internals set-up for YOU, and a nice drag rear shock will have you parkin-lot pimpn and ridn the strips off your tires whenever you want, and if you hit the stagin lanes (ie: red lights/on ramps) and want better take-off, that is guna improve greatly.

even if you had a stick exhaust sys, Id say do suspension work (and espect to pay more like $2k for the really hot s**t) it will really change your ridn exp...if you were a featherweight then it wouldnt be such a big deal (under 200lbs) Im no tiny guy either (duh) n Im tryn to save up for suspension mods right now...call a few shops, talk to guys with modded forks/shocks n get some feedback from them too
beerchug.gif

It really depends on the riding you're doing. You stated daily driver with some twisties. The OEM suspension tuned with proper sag measurements for Street riding should be fine. Go with the Full exhaust.

Now, once you've been bitten by the track bug, doing canyons on a regular basis, the suspension upgrade is the way to go. That'll make more difference than the full exhaust upgrade. Another reason for only upgrading unless you're doing track/canyon riding is that the setup will feel harsh on street compared to track. Granted, you can adjust the suspension to easily fit the needs of the street and adjust ride height, reb/comp and plushness to taste. Suspension upgrades are for the guys at the track who want more front end feel, quicker turn ins for deeper braking and to meet the tighter/stiffer sag requirements. As Jinkster says, you won't feel the benefits on the street as you would on the track/canyons.

okay fellas. I went to my man shop. he said i should just get a track bike.
beerchug.gif
stop modding my busa to death. there is a full exhaust and power commander on the bike. muzzy fan. braided lines tobin seat gi pro quasar map etc etc etc. My style varies as far as riding goes. rode my r6 to death before i got my busa. maybe i will try to better setup the stock suspension before i make the suspension investment.

Back