Suspension tuning made easy. See inside!

Wow, Stevo! What a deal! Wish it were closer to Christmas (either way :laugh: ) as I would've put these on my wish list. Excellent deal, my brother. Will be on these when I get back in the 'support our government' mode (still working school pretty hard). I remember you talking about these last time we visited (yea, it's been too long ago!). I appreciate the heads up. Have a Good 'un! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Got an email saying "order #263 shipped". Mine is on it's way.
I'll soon have something to watch on the tube.. while it rains and snows outside.:banghead:

going to settle in to watch these tonight... (well as soon as Karen is done with some bachelor show) :) whoopee!!

oh great... now I know I ride like a girl.... were is my copy of "wild hogs"

Tufbusa, thanks for the lead...will order today. Man it is good to have mentors...No sense in reinventing the wheel...i haven't touched my suspension on the Busa. My first track day I paid some guy...60 bucks to set er up...When I commute I have a top Givi case full of food, gear, and work. Then I added the two givi side cases to carry everything and I am on a pogo stick dropping in on corners and acclerating out of them in the mountains...So, this will be very interesting...thanks mate...2hip

:laugh: that bad huh? still awaiting my order.
naw, you see what it takes to make the suspension work as it should and you gotta be pretty good rider...

Just furthers my belief that very few riders can push the Busa to its physical limits.. Meaning.. we sure waste a lot of money on stuff we don't need yet...

:laugh:

Here is my problem. I can't tell the differrence when I change suspension setting by one-two clicks - be it preload, damping or rebound. Street or track, I use the same settings and it works just fine. What I mean is I don't experience any issues. The bike is absolutely stable. Small slides going over bumps on the street are predictable and non-scary. So, how can I tune it if I can't tell the difference between a click or two? I am afraid it will become a guess work of my imagination.

you adjust by more clicks :)

also, if you are only pushing the suspension to say 60%, then you wont notice a lot.. if you are at 90%, then we start getting twitchy on settings..

sort of goes back to why waste money on trick stuff you can not use yet.. :) I am only getting to the point now where tires and suspension are requiring fine tuning.. The basic baselines were fine most of the year..

Now that I can flop the tank over and use the entire track (well where I have to use the entire track) , settings are starting to matter (and really only about half a session..)

Maybe SteveO can expand on this better as I am pretty new to it but just getting in the ballpark was all I needed at first..

Last edited:
Here is my problem. I can't tell the differrence when I change suspension setting by one-two clicks - be it preload, damping or rebound. Street or track, I use the same settings and it works just fine. What I mean is I don't experience any issues. The bike is absolutely stable. Small slides going over bumps on the street are predictable and non-scary. So, how can I tune it if I can't tell the difference between a click or two? I am afraid it will become a guess work of my imagination.

There is a lot to be said about that old cliche "The best you've riden is the best you know"!

Although you can't tell much difference in your suspension when you add a click or two here and there, you will definately feel the difference if you crawl aboard a bike with fine tuned suspension.

I had the opportunity to climb aboard a genuine Super Bike (GSXR1000) and after three or four laps I was in love. Suspension, brakes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, everything was leaps and bounds ahead of my stock suzuki suspension. Made me realize to some degree how the really fast guys go that fast. This bike held the track record at the time. Of course I wasn't going to set any records with it but I could go faster everywhere.

You too, will improve your riding skills at a faster pase if you have your suspension dialed in for YOU! There is no "One size fits all" when it comes to suspension set up. When you get your suspension set up at the track, you simply acquire a baseline. A place to start, so to speak. From there you should play with one adjustment at a time, starting with rebound. Add a few clicks, then go the other way a few clicks and see how you like it. Don't be afraid to play with your settings, you can't hurt anything. Just remember where your baseline settings are so you can go back to that setting in case you get lost.

Dave Moss explains much of this in his dvd's. You can't go wrong with this learning tool. Although these dvd's won't make you into a suspension guru like Dave, it will give you a much better understanding of how your suspension works and hopefully take away those fears of twiddling a few knobs yourself!

Got mine today and watched the first disc of the "Introduction to Sportbike Suspension". In that one run through, it was explained to me what was up with the strange scalloping on the rear tires ever since I've had the Busa.
Will watch (and re-watch several times) all of the vids in the coming days. When the weather moderates to where I can get the bike out, I'll go to work on setting it up more like it should be. Try to get it in the ballpark on the backroads before I head to the track.
As I said before, this is going to be fun.
Thanks again SteveO!:thumbsup:

There is a lot to be said about that old cliche "The best you've riden is the best you know"!

Although you can't tell much difference in your suspension when you add a click or two here and there, you will definately feel the difference if you crawl aboard a bike with fine tuned suspension.

I had the opportunity to climb aboard a genuine Super Bike (GSXR1000) and after three or four laps I was in love. Suspension, brakes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, everything was leaps and bounds ahead of my stock suzuki suspension. Made me realize to some degree how the really fast guys go that fast. This bike held the track record at the time. Of course I wasn't going to set any records with it but I could go faster everywhere.

You too, will improve your riding skills at a faster pase if you have your suspension dialed in for YOU! There is no "One size fits all" when it comes to suspension set up. When you get your suspension set up at the track, you simply acquire a baseline. A place to start, so to speak. From there you should play with one adjustment at a time, starting with rebound. Add a few clicks, then go the other way a few clicks and see how you like it. Don't be afraid to play with your settings, you can't hurt anything. Just remember where your baseline settings are so you can go back to that setting in case you get lost.

Dave Moss explains much of this in his dvd's. You can't go wrong with this learning tool. Although these dvd's won't make you into a suspension guru like Dave, it will give you a much better understanding of how your suspension works and hopefully take away those fears of twiddling a few knobs yourself!
ya know I think he just invited us to ride his track bike... how cool is that? :rofl:

Anything in these DVD's that is not covered by Andrews Trevitt's book Sportbike Suspension Tuning and Kevin Camerons Sportbike Performance Handbook?

cheers
ken

Back