Fuel guage question

pcosho

Registered
Hey guys haven't been in here in a long time! I see alot has changed. I have a quick question hopefully someone can help me out. I own a 08 hayabusa and my fuel guage just went crazy on me. It will read full but i know it's not. It works correctly until its filled past half tank. Any help would be much appreciated thanks. It was stored with a full tank all winter by the way.

If you remove the sender unit in the fuel tank, clean the rheostat with brake cleaner (white spirits) and reassemble and test it, it should work after doing this.
This is not a Busa, but you get the idea . . .

Here's how I gauge my fuel level in my Busa . . .

No. 1, Never rely on fuel gauges, EVER!!

No. 2, Never partially fill your fuel tank, ALWAYS fill it to the top!

No. 3, Always zero the trip meter at the gas station at the time that you fill it.

No. 4, Use the trip meter as your fuel 'gauge' reference, you should be able to get 170 miles before the fuel light comes on, then you have about 25 miles left before empty.

This is actually a very accurate way of knowing exactly how much fuel you have used, and how much you have until empty.
Try it, you'll never worry about your fuel gauge again!

Last edited:
If you remove the sender unit in the fuel tank, clean the rheostat with brake cleaner (white spirits) and reassemble and test it, it should work after doing this.
This is not a Busa, but you get the idea . . .

Here's how I gauge my fuel level in my Busa . . .

No. 1, Never rely on fuel gauges, EVER!!

No. 2, Never partially fill your fuel tank, ALWAYS fill it to the top!

No. 3, Always zero the trip meter at the gas station at the time that you fill it.

No. 4, Use the trip meter as your fuel 'gauge' reference, you should be able to get 170 miles before the fuel light comes on, then you have about 25 miles left before empty.

This is actually a very accurate way of knowing exactly how much fuel you have used, and how much you have until empty.
Try it, you'll never worry about your fuel gauge again!
Very wise & true except wish I got that type of mileage I call it a day around 154 miles or so. If you twist that wrist aggressively birds will eat a lot of gas quickly.

If you twist that wrist aggressively birds will eat a lot of gas quickly.

Gearing has a big effect as well. I went back to a 17/40 from a 43t rear and it helped the fuel economy a bunch. If I behave, I can squeeze 200 miles (Springfield to St louis) out of a tank.

Gearing has a big effect as well. I went back to a 17/40 from a 43t rear and it helped the fuel economy a bunch. If I behave, I can squeeze 200 miles (Springfield to St louis) out of a tank.
My gearing is standard, 17/40, I've never played with that but can only imagine how it would affect the fuel consumption lol.
My trip computer shows on average around 17 to 18 km per liter, thats 43.75 mpg (US Gallons @ 4 liters per gallon)
If I get on the gas hard (100-140mph) for a 30 mile stretch that will drop to 15.5 km/liter, (38.75 mpg)
So that's 5mpg lost just by opening the throttle and I never go past 8,000rpm, there's no need to!
The Busa has a very giving motor! :thumbsup:

My gearing is standard, 17/40, I've never played with that but can only imagine how it would affect the fuel consumption lol.
My trip computer shows on average around 17 to 18 km per liter, thats 43.75 mpg (US Gallons @ 4 liters per gallon)
If I get on the gas hard (100-140mph) for a 30 mile stretch that will drop to 15.5 km/liter, (38.75 mpg)
So that's 5mpg lost just by opening the throttle and I never go past 8,000rpm, there's no need to!
The Busa has a very giving motor! :thumbsup:
I humbly disagree; unrestricted with a tune and so on it becomes a vastly different animal at 10-11k.

Back