Front End Bouncing

If the forks measure the same heigth through the top of the upper triple clamp, before and after removing/installing front wheel/calipers, then nothing has moved, and forks are installed correctly.
I have never seen an axle that won't slide right in when forks are ok to start with.
To each there own, but it is unessacery.
You also must have a front forklift or Bursig style stand to move the forks up or down.
No disrespect intended to anyone.

That's ok kiwi. Happens to the best of us. But I like your method you aligning the front end. When the new rotors show up I'll do it that way.

Hey what are you paying for the new rotors? and what brand are they?
I'm considering new EBC rotors soon, have replaced the m/cyl piston and cup set, new braided lines front and rear, new EBC HH sintered pads front and rear,
stripped the front calipers to find a wax type substance blocking the lower cross over ports between the caliper halves and seized lower pistons both L & R sides. I was wondering why my brakes were so poor in performance. This is why, because only 60% of the surface area of the pads had hydraulic pressure on them. It made a massive improvement when all cleaned out and working 100%. The new EBC pads and braided hose on the rear also transformed the rear brake. It actually works now lol.
It really is worth stripping and inspecting the calipers.
Ya never know what you may find :confused:

I paid $323 for two new stock ones from bikebandit. The next option I saw was ebc contour xc and ebc vee. They were around $400-416 for two.

If the forks measure the same heigth through the top of the upper triple clamp, before and after removing/installing front wheel/calipers, then nothing has moved, and forks are installed correctly.
I have never seen an axle that won't slide right in when forks are ok to start with.
To each there own, but it is unessacery.
You also must have a front forklift or Bursig style stand to move the forks up or down.
No disrespect intended to anyone.

That's ok, no disrespect detected.

Ok, its about relieving stress from the chassis.
Ask any race bike tech, they always loosen everything off and re torque all fasteners when servicing and checking over the bike. It's common practice.

I know we are not race bike riders, I don't know about the US, but the roads here in NZ are pretty rough most places and the chassis gets tied up in knots so to speak.
I went to fit my front wheel recently and found the axle was difficult to get threaded, I loosened off the fork clamps and hey presto! slid right through and threaded up nicely.
This was after I had already been through the alignment of the forks previously when I had re assembled the front end and then rode 1000kms, and yes, I had torqued the clamp pinch bolts correctly.
Things move and need adjustment occasionally.

Ask any race bike tech, they always loosen everything off and re torque all fasteners when servicing and checking over the bike. It's common practice.

I know we are not race bike riders, I don't know about the US, but the roads here in NZ are pretty rough most places and the chassis gets tied up in knots so to speak.
I went to fit my front wheel recently and found the axle was difficult to get threaded, I loosened off the fork clamps and hey presto! slid right through and threaded up nicely.
This was after I had already been through the alignment of the forks previously when I had re assembled the front end and then rode 1000kms, and yes, I had torqued the clamp pinch bolts correctly.
I've spent some time in the South Island, over the years, I know what you mean about the roads, they are shocking lol, only ever saw one busa, outside the blue pub in methven, during a street race, think it was a gen 2, (got a photo somewhere).

I've never had to loosen the forks to make the axle go back in easily. But, if it wouldn't, I would loosen the forks:beerchug:

A typical newzealand road.

IMG_2698.JPG

If it's not the torn up roads, you have to also contend with escaped animals wandering across the road, on a road test, I helped round up some pigs, a chicken and negotiated 3 sheep in the middle of the road, having a meeting, I caught one at about 7mph and it bounced down the road, got up and ran off.
One of the most pleasurable and genuinely free country's I've ever visited and the people arnt too shabby either lol.

So just a small update. I changed the front and rear sprocket and chain. I have a brand new driven 530 chain with -1 in the front. I set the sag with it on and off the stands per the manual. The bike is smoother but the bounce is still there. In fact it feels like it's getting worse. It definitely feels like it's the front rim. I did notice though that at 60 mph and up it disappears. Not 100 % but a lot of it disappears. A friend thinks that maybe the front rim is bent. Like there is a flat spot and it's being skipped over at higher speeds. So for now I'm going to have another local shop juts out the wheels on there balancer and see what they says. Basically a second opinion.

I just caught this thread, read the first page and skipped here. I had the same symptoms on my previous busa. It was a slightly bent front rim.
I put the bike on a front stand and rotated the rim watching the rim and after some examination I found that one area was slightly dented in.
I chocked it up to having hit a major pot hole? Tire seemed fine and I rode it like this until I sold it.
My $.02

Back