Front End Bouncing

SO I call the shop. They said whatever the service manual calls for is what they do as far and oil weight and amount. He didn't know off the top of his head what the hayabusa takes. He also says that if the forks, rims or rotors were bent he'd know and he'd tell me. He said he'd know right away if the rims or rotors were bent when he put it on his balancer.

Offor- the bike did it before the shop had it. I only rode it 8-10 miles and I thought it was because of the low tire pressure.

So what I did so far is I cleaned the front rotors, checked the front pads (which are new), checked the front wheel bearings (which seem fine), and reassembled the way the manual says too. It was a slight improvement but did not fix the bounce. I checked the chain limt. It was 304.6 mm. The manual says 319.4 mm is the lint. I adjusted the slack with a micrometer and tightened everything down the way the manual says too. That was a slightly improvement but didn't fix it. This is driving me nuts. Lol

I going to get the right size socket for the steering stem and the front sprocket (if you know the size please let me know). I'm going to loosen and retighten the steering stem and just replace the whole chain setup.

Last post I swear lol. I did take it for a ride. I did a few things. 1. I applied a little front brake to see if that stopped it and it didn't work. 2. I applied a little rear brake and that didn't work. 3. I pulled the clutch in and that didn't work. 4. I noticed that as soon as I get speed it starts. So I gradually sped up and noticed about 20 mph the bouncing started.

I checked the chain limt. It was 304.6 mm. The manual says 319.4 mm is the lint. I adjusted the slack with a micrometer and tightened everything down the way the manual says too. That was a slightly improvement but didn't fix it. This is driving me nuts. Lol

Make sure to ck chain tightness at full sag and not with the rear wheel off the ground. Chain probably isn't the problem but with funny gremlins like this might be worth while to just loosen the chain a little extra to see. Easy to do.

How big of a bounce are we talking? Does it feel like the front wheel is almost loosing contact with the road? Is the travel of the bounce feel like a mm, cm, inch? When you are riding at 20mph what is the frequency of the bounce? (ex 5 bounce per second) And the frequency of the bounce speeds up relative to the speed of the bike right? And it happens on smooth surface too right??

Mathew- it's hard to tell but I'd say it goes down and comes like a free spring. It comes up as fast as it goes down.

Have you tried setting the rebound and compression to a factory setting? I just wonder if they are way off.

I think I may have found my problem. This is the bike on the rear stand in first gear. No throttle. I don't think this is right.

Jermz- ok I will try that today with the chain sag. It's not a big bounce where the front wheel comes off the ground. It's more like mm to cm. The frequency is about 2-3 at 20mph. The frequency does speed up and it happens on smooth roads. It's easiest to feel it on smooth roads.

I am by far from an expert, but that chain looks to have a kink or tight link in it to me. If no other opinions on it, I would change it out and see how it is with a new one.
Good luck.
Troy

Mine did this when i cranked down the preload of the front forks to prevent the suspension from bottoming out and ruining my fork seals again lovely roads we have roun these parts i softened it back up some and it went away

Tac. 10wt gives a lot more fluid resistance than the normal 5wt, making the shock much stiffer which would explain a little bounce. 7wt might be a good compromise.
+1
But any bounce would be from incorrectly reassembled forks, or improper sag.

Mikbusa- the suspension settings are at stock.

A "stock" suspension setting is a joke.
You NEED to have the suspension sag set, and that is set to the rider's weight.

Yes, 10w oil can cause the front to feel stiff or firm. But, at 180lbs (+your helmet and any gear), you should have more than enough weight on the bars for it not to be a problem.

+1
But any bounce would be from incorrectly reassembled forks, or improper sag.

My 10wt front end busa has a much stiffer feel from stock even dialed in soft. Hitting a bump the 10wt shocks are not as forgiving and the road feels a little more "bumpy." But this bike is doing it even on smooth surfaces so its something else.

I'm going to change the chain and sprockets for now. I have a new setup already. This way what looks like a kinked chain problem can be solved and that's one less possibility.

Back