front brake caliper

Texas_Heat

Registered
I was thinking about removing the right side brake caliper and rotor which will show the khrome rims a lot better in the front and will be easier to clean.. I was just wandering if the breaking power is lost to the point of being unsafe has anyone tried this? Im not into front wheelies or any trick riding, maybe a little 130-140MPH riding is all.

There has been lots of debate about it.
Do a search and there should be a tread that is only a couple of months old.
I voted no don't do it, but surpisingly it was about 50-50 (if my memory serves me).
Lots of guys have done it and say no problem.
Do the search as there was quite a few opinions about it and some good info.

cruising, easy riding probably not a lot of difference.. however if you push the bike for any amount of time you could overheat the rotor/brake pads..

I personally would never do this but it is a common mod for drag racers.. (less rotating mass) and they stop fine from 150mph + I would not want to do it 2 or 3 times in quick succession however. :)

Brake feel will change.. you now have the pressure of the M/C applying to half the pistons..

:whistle: thanks joseph
if you want it then I say try it. Keep your OEM stuff just incase you don't like it.
I'll also suggest running braided lines and HH pads. If you can upgrade the rotors then do so.

With all that being said. Is it the same. NO. Can the bike still do endos YES
you'll run thru pads quick, but that's the price you pay.
there's a few dummy rotors on the market to cover the ugly holes also.
here'a a pic for ya

hope this helps ya

aug o7.jpg

DSC04302.JPG

julian 024.jpg

DSC04928.JPG

I wouldnt do it personally but all them 800+lb harleys out there only have 1 front brake,atleast the ones i've seen,not that they are doing 186mph but most of us arent either. for track and twisteis,probabaly not the smartest thing,but everyday rideing...I dont know.unless you have a show bike,a real show bike I wouldnt do it.

but if you do it,I would suggest upgradeing rotors,brake calipers,pads and lines

the bike was built by a team of very bright engineers who deemed it necessary to use two front brakes to slow the 500 + pound Hayabusa down to a dead stop at a safe rate of deceleration. Taking a rotor off is asking for trouble:rulez:

I wouldnt do it personally but all them 800+lb harleys out there only have 1 front brake,atleast the ones i've seen,not that they are doing 186mph but most of us arent either. for track and twisteis,probabaly not the smartest thing,but everyday rideing...I dont know.unless you have a show bike,a real show bike I wouldnt do it.

but if you do it,I would suggest upgradeing rotors,brake calipers,pads and lines

actually in the twisties it helps ya out.
It won't stand the bike up in a turn as quick. at least that's what I've found out :whistle:

the bike was built by a team of very bright engineers who deemed it necessary to use two front brakes to slow the 500 + pound Hayabusa down to a dead stop at a safe rate of deceleration. Taking a rotor off is asking for trouble:rulez:

are you sure it was engineers that came up with that or government?
Just like the 300lbs exhaust right :whistle: or the reflectors :laugh:

actually in the twisties it helps ya out.
It won't stand the bike up in a turn as quick. at least that's what I've found out :whistle:

I seen ben spies get up on the front tire this past weekend and the way it looked,he needed every ounce of stopping power to slow enough to navigate the turn,I imagine with one rotor he wouldnt have had a chance, plus the fluid would most likely overheat really fast working just one caliper...just a thought,im not an expert on the subject.

I seen ben spies get up on the front tire this past weekend and the way it looked,he needed every ounce of stopping power to slow enough to navigate the turn,I imagine with one rotor he wouldnt have had a chance, plus the fluid would most likely overheat really fast working just one caliper...just a thought,im not an expert on the subject.

I don't have ben spies talent. I wish I did. I also don't suggest using this setup during track days. Other than the straight track. I guess I should have cleared that up. I was referring to dragon twisties.

I don't have ben spies talent. I wish I did. I also don't suggest using this setup during track days. Other than the straight track. I guess I should have cleared that up. I was referring to dragon twisties.

haha,dont we all wish we had his talent,he made matt meladin look like he was standing still in the 2nd race this past weekend in Atlanta...no fear!

I totally agree that this mod seems dumb to me, but keep this in mind. Not all features on a bike are there for legitimate safety/performance/engineering purposes. Sometimes they add features because it helps market the bike or place it more favorably against the competition. If Yamaha started putting 330mm wave rotors on their bikes, wouldn't Suzuki look silly if they only had 290mm plain rotors? If going to carbon/ceramic brakes all of a sudden led to an increase in sales, you better believe that ever manufacturer would leap on the bandwagon to help sell bikes to "me too" consumers even though that would be radical overkill for a streetbike. Don't place all your trust in fully engineered products. Sometimes it's all about marketing.

With that being said, I wouldn't even think about taking off a rotor. In fact, I'd like to upgrade to better pads and SS braided lines.

Last edited:
If you want to shed some rotating mass and improve your braking performance, this might be the rotor for you. Rotormod.com has some very cool designs for 1st and 2nd generation Hayabusa models.
08busa3.jpg

The trick is keeping the brakes cool and this OEM rotor modification does just that. Since these rotors are modified for track use and hold up well in those conditions they will certainly be a huge improvement to your OEM set up. I love my set.

nice looking "stock" rotor... sure wish they posted prices... pretty hesitant about any site that does not...

Awh, don't worry about it. You'll never miss that OTHER rotor!

Until you need it! :beerchug:

Back