FRIED RECTIFIER CONNECTION

BusaBill03

Registered
What would make my rectifier connection fry/melt like this on 03 Busa (30k). Rect is 1yr old /11k miles
For past wk I'd get on bike every morn to a dead bike/blown main ffuse. I'd replace & it'd last 4-6 stops (ign off) then be dead on nxt start. Then today it 1/2 cranked once then I heard buzz/ weak pop pop pop. Brad new battery. I started a complete elec check from terms, to main fuse relay area then rectifier where I found this melted mess.

20221123_173745.jpg

20221123_171929.jpg

these connections notoriously get crusty and the resistance goes way up which in turn causes heat

Google rick's regulators he sells the replacement connectors and regulators

A massive power draw from some other problem in the bike can cause this, thus inspect as much of the wiring and power as you can. Make sure and include high power connections like the starter and headlight. Any connection that was loosened by the bike's vibration or that is highly corroded can lead to this.

Those stator wires should all be tight and the connection clean. How is the stator in terms of the resistance and voltage checks in the service manual?

After the replacement, did you ever have a dead battery and ran the bike to charge it up? That will fry charging components.

Check for short circuits or leakage current as I think the manual calls it.

Are there any accessories and is anything tied into the tail or elsewhere where a splice was made? Inspect such for tightness.

A massive power draw from some other problem in the bike can cause this, thus inspect as much of the wiring and power as you can. Make sure and include high power connections like the starter and headlight. Any connection that was loosened by the bike's vibration or that is highly corroded can lead to this.

Those stator wires should all be tight and the connection clean. How is the stator in terms of the resistance and voltage checks in the service manual?

After the replacement, did you ever have a dead battery and ran the bike to charge it up? That will fry charging components.

Check for short circuits or leakage current as I think the manual calls it.

Are there any accessories and is anything tied into the tail or elsewhere where a splice was made? Inspect such for tightness.
I forgot to mention. A cpl times I noticed the main fuse lit up like this after a ride w/ Ign off & keys removed. Hrs later even.

IMG_20221121_174909180.jpg

That may be discharging the battery and is a potential fire hazard. This could burn down the bike and your house. Leave the battery disconnected for now for safety.

Were there any events, maintenance, damage, was anything touched leading up to this?

You must methodically inspect everything and identify all of the issues before replacing hardware and hooking up a battery again.

Do you have the service manual which includes a wiring diagram and harness routing diagram?

That may be discharging the battery and is a potential fire hazard. This could burn down the bike and your house. Leave the battery disconnected for now for safety.

Were there any events, maintenance, damage, was anything touched leading up to this?

You must methodically inspect everything and identify all of the issues before replacing hardware and hooking up a battery again.

Do you have the service manual which includes a wiring diagram and harness routing diagram?
I should mention the pic looks worse than it is. Only the top middle of fuse is lit (abt 1/8" sq). I'll take pic of fuse bc its slightly diff than regular fuse, I think.
No significant issues, changes, maintenance etc recently altho I've had all fairings off over past col months for various reasons.
Wait. My light rear running lights were loose (brake lights fine). I got in tight spot there & took care of prob & dbl checked all others. I just noticed part of Busa plastic at very rear is melted. Obviously where connector was just as wires made a 90° bend under last few inches of frame.

Back