Frank Thomas Xti gloves - OK for track days?

spotrot

Registered
I found Frank Thomas Xti Long Sport gloves that fit me at Cycle gear for $64

leather tab connecting pinky finger to the adjacent finger
Kangaroo leather palms offer improved abrasion resistance and tear strength
External seams on fingers for increased comfort.
Pull through D-ring wrist adjuster. Stretch panelling on the back allowing greater flexibility and improved comfort.
Moulded knuckles and finger inlays for added protection
Gloves @ Frank Thomas

but no plastic on palms to keep hand from grabbing on pavement in a get-off.

Any advice regarding whether these are OK for occasional track days, or is it necessary to pony up the $230 or so for HandDroids or Alpinestar GP Pro?

A search on forum brought up these comments:
have their top of the line XTi gloves. They were $100 and crashed great. Kevlar stitching was coming undone so I took em back. They exchanged em, no receipt and no questions asked
I'm on my second set of the gloves - crashed the first one's and they did their job but stitching ripped
I like Cycle Gear.
I've had loads of Frank Thomas gear over the years. Always liked it

I purchased a pair of FT to use on the track, thay'll probably be my dedicated track glove as a matter of fact out of my other pairs of leathers that I have been using.

My only gripe about them is one of the armored pieces sort of irritates a finger, but only on one glove...not bad enough to worry about~!~

A really good way to determine what works and what doesn't is by what your local race guys use. If you don't see a single racer wearing what you are, chances are what you have has already been tried and tested within the racing community where most everyone knows each other and it's failed to stand up during crashes. When something works really well, word gets around. If it doesn't work so well, word gets around on that too.

When you are buying protective gear, if it's cheap, it's most likely not as good as the more expensive gear. Be it Helmets, gloves, leathers, boots or any other goodies.

This is why it's a good idea when you are at your local track having a grand time to pay attention to the "A" group which is the racers and fastest street riders. Those guys usually know what works and what doesn't as well as the best bang for the buck.

I crashed on the street a few years back and the only injury was to my little finger where the stitching ripped out and bloodied things up a bit. I had a cheap pair of gloves that looked great with Kangaroo palms. I loved softnes and comfort of those gloves but they didn't hold up in a crash. My son had a pair of Taichi gloves that crashed at least a half dozen times and were still useable. There is a big difference in all leather protective gear. I'm not saying expensive is the way to go but going cheap is rarely the way to go.

Keep in mind when purchasing anything leather, it will last a very long time if properly maintained. In my view, it's better to spend a few more bucks and be confident you are protected while looking and feeling good as well.

I have nothing else to add to Tufbusa's most excellent advice :thumbsup: except: check your local craigslist (if you do not mind previously owned stuff).

My son had a pair of Dainese Full metal Pro which he used for three track days. He low sided around a right corner at 70mph. The seams pulled apart from the palms and the gloves suffered quite a bit of damage from the asphalt. IMO, not a glove for the price!

He's now trying KNOX Handroid armour.

KNOX Handroid Hand Armour Black from SportbikeTrackGear.com

knox_handroid_black_400.jpg

Thanks for the input.

'Just bought the FT XTI 2 in black. Cycle Gear makred them down further to 49.97.

CG also had the previous model with very soft brown Kanagaroo leather palms for $59 but did not have the 3-4 finger bridge.

Also, CG said I could try them for a week and bring them back for exchange or credit if I didn't like them.

Looks like they will work fine, But I do have a pair of the AS GP pro gloves and they of been through 3 get offs and are rashed up but are still in good shape and 1 I even slide on my palm for a ways and went through to the kevler, And it did its job well. My next set will be the Knox gloves, Taylor has a set of them and they are very comfy and very well made.

Back