Fork question

cougar694u

Registered
According to RaceTech's website, stock spring rate of the busa's fork springs is .850 kg/mm, but the 05-06 GSXR1k are .950 kg/mm.

If the tubes are the same diameter, wouldn't it be a worthwhile upgrade to use 05/06 1k forks on the busa?

Granted, the valving's still stock, but you're rolling with a stiffer spring.

I looked on RaceTech's website and the part numbers for the springs are identical for busa vs 1k, but what about length, travel, and O.D.?

Anyone every done this?

I was looking into rebuilding my own forks with either .95 or 1 kg springs (street calls for .95 and racing calls for 1, so I'm torn), but I'm looking at around $500 before shipping. I figured I could pick up some 05/06 forks cheaper and roll on them until I can afford to rebuild my busa forks.

Discuss...

lurk.gif

Sounds like a smart idea as long as eveything else mounts up, fender, brake calipers and such. Might find the dampening in the 1K shocks to be a tad better...towards the aggressive side.

It'd be cool if you could keep the GSXR's radial brakes also.

The problem might be with the triple tree....

i have heard & seen articles that you need a spacer to fit 1k forks into busa trees
something like 1mm smaller OD for 1k's

(cougar694u @ May 07 2007,11:57) According to RaceTech's website, stock spring rate of the busa's fork springs is .850 kg/mm, but the 05-06 GSXR1k are .950 kg/mm.

If the tubes are the same diameter, wouldn't it be a worthwhile upgrade to use 05/06 1k forks on the busa?

I looked on RaceTech's website and the part numbers for the springs are identical for busa vs 1k, but what about length, travel, and O.D.?

Anyone every done this?

I was looking into rebuilding my own forks with either .95 or 1 kg springs (street calls for .95 and racing calls for 1, so I'm torn), but I'm looking at around $500 before shipping.  I figured I could pick up some 05/06 forks cheaper and roll on them until I can afford to rebuild my busa forks.

Discuss...

lurk.gif
They can be done for less than that lmk and i'll get ya hooke up...

The thing is I'm funny about servicing my bike. Only I, or my brother, service my bike, car, computer, etc.

I'll order parts and DIY, I have the skills. How much you talkin about, and with what?

(GoldenChild @ May 07 2007,23:13)
(cougar694u @ May 07 2007,11:57) According to RaceTech's website, stock spring rate of the busa's fork springs is .850 kg/mm, but the 05-06 GSXR1k are .950 kg/mm.

Anyone every done this?

I was looking into rebuilding my own forks with either .95 or 1 kg springs (street calls for .95 and racing calls for 1, so I'm torn), but I'm looking at around $500 before shipping.  I figured I could pick up some 05/06 forks cheaper and roll on them until I can afford to rebuild my busa forks.

Discuss...

lurk.gif
They can be done for less than that lmk and i'll get ya hooke up...
I was thinking the same. i'm about to replace the seals in my forks, and have been considering re-springing them at the same time. That price just seems high to me...

Future group buy?

(Cykill @ May 08 2007,12:13) I was thinking the same. i'm about to replace the seals in my forks, and have been considering re-springing them at the same time. That price just seems high to me...

Future group buy?
FRSP S3825100, which is a 1 kg spring = $109.99 - Good price, IMO.
Gold Valve FMGV S2530 = $169.99 - A little high, but still reasonable
US1=3.5-5w fork oil ( 2 qt required) = 59.98 - A little high, I might be able to score some locally cheaper.
Fork seals: FKOS 43 P = $18.38 - cheap enough to only make a marginal difference
Dust Seals: FKDS 43 P = $21.98 - ditto

Total is $380.32, plus shipping. The price I estimated was with purchase of tools, but CAT3 had a good write up on how to build your own, thus saving around $150

I may just buy parts in increments as I can afford them, but the $380 seems very reasonable to me.

The point of the thread was something like a reasonable alternative to rebuilding stock forks. Sometimes you can roach up on a set of forks for a couple hundred bucks, saving almost 2 bills. Then you could take yours apart and rebuild and not be out a bike, understand?

I had my suspension tuned by a certified suspension shop while at a track day, and the springs are way too weak. We went with full pre-load and it's not enough. Sure, I could fake it by adding heavier fork oil and dampening, but who likes a faker?
SHOCKED.gif

Back