Fork pre-load question

Un-Caged

Donating Member
Registered
I've set my suspension up according to the last group of settings at sportriders, with the exception of not knowing exactly where my fork preload is at. I have a genmar riser so I can't see the adjustment lines for setting the preload. I turned them down 3 turns from stock; anyone know how many turns per line for adjustment?

So far, I'm very pleased with the improvement; the bike seems much more stable than with the stock settings.

I'm not sure how many turns/line. I'm 240# and added 5 full turns to mine. I also have Genmars and can't see the lines. From what I've seen, sportriders.com doesn't know much about suspension tuning.

Thx. I'm 190#, so 3 turns is probably close. I know it's not diving bad on hard braking like it was. The settings I used are simply 1 click stiffer from stock on all 6 screws. I added 2 turns preload in the rear also. The only handling issues I've had so far before changes were some slight head shake with hard braking (in addition to diving), and some rear tire chatter with what I would consider "spirited" but by no means hard cornering. Otherwise it just felt soft to me. I'll have to see how it acts now tightened up a tad.

I'm no expert, so please feel free anyone to steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a good street setup that will handle a little better than what it did stock.

Thanks. As it turns out, I have it set almost the same as the Jinkster write-up. I'll know more after this weekend how it's going to act in the corners, but for now the ride is way better than it was.

I weigh 215 and had to turn the preload almost all the way in to get about 37 - 40 mm of sag. Having your preload all the way in is not ideal as your spring is over compressed and the suspension can become quite harsh. I installed heavier springs and used a different weight fluid and fluid level, as recommended by Traxxion Dynamics. TD even provides all the tools you need for a very reasonable cost. With springs, tools, fork oil and shipping, it was about $200. The staff was very helpful in providing guidance throughout the project. My preload adjusters are now in the middle of the adjustment range and the ride and handling are great. Total Control riding techniques by Lee Parks has a great section on suspension set up - $16 on Amazon.
Cougar

Back