Suspension Setting for Gen 2

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I have been reading and reading about suspension setup with one piece being spring preload. Reading Jinksters post about doing the Gen 1 gave me enough confidence to take on the Gen II. Setting it is actually not difficult, but arriving at the number took some reading!

You need fully unloaded extension (Not the same as stroke on every bike)
GEN II = 4.7"

Front Suspension stroke (from the manual)
GEN II = 4.7"

30% preload of stroke
(4.7 * .30) = 1.551

Fully unloaded extension - 30% Preload
4.7-.1551 = 3.149 Laden Sag

With gear on sitting on the bike it should measure 3.149 on the front suspension. (measured from the fork seal to the bottom of the fork) I am at 180 or so with full gear and am two turns out from maximum to achieve this laden sag which indicates the stock suspension is set very soft.

The laden sag number does not change from rider to rider, it should be that with a heavier rider as well. The part that changes is how much to crank down or out on the preload adjustment to achieve this number. So a bike set up for a 180 lb rider will be set soft for a heavier rider.

Last edited:
everything sounds good so far!
i came across an article comparing the zx and the busa and they posted some suspension settings that worked great for them.. i tried them out and have been extremely happy with them so far. i think i may have tweaked one spec here or there but everything else has turned out well for me.
keep in mind i weigh around 140...
here's the link CLICK
their recommended settings are near the bottom i believe

I'll be bringing my tools to Barber; Tufbusa and LA Busa are both Suspension aficiandos and will have you set up in a jiffy...

Back