Fork Spring Preload Adjusters

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
I want to make sure that the fork spring preload adjusters are set equally on each fork leg, it appears that one pertrudes above the top triple tree about 1/16" - 1/8" higher than the other.  The manual says to use the groved lines in the adjuster but those are resessed into the top triple tree so I really can't see how to get a visual on that without removing the top triple tree.  What's the standard procedure?  Turn them in all the way then back them out equally like the clickers for rebound & compression adjusters?

1.jpg

Trying to grasp a better understanding of these settings and how they actually apply to the fork's performance. Tell me this chart is not contradicting what is states at the top of the page (previous pic, previous post)

2.jpg

Just screw all the way down then count revs made to one side and duplicate on the other side. When your sag measurement is correct you will have arrived at the proper adjustment.

But stock springs are set up for someone that weighs about 150lbs. So if you are heavier than that it really does not matter how much preload you put in because it is not enough. I upgraded my springs, valves, and oil and the $700 is worth it. I can easily see that during my track days and riding two up.

And yes they are contradicting to eachother.

Gene, if they are both out the SAME ammount of clicks (and they are from today when I did it) the only explanation I can think of is one of tubes may not be seated all the way up...tight to the underneath of the top triple tree piece. You know it doesn't hurt to put the bike onto a rear stand and loosen all of the tree/fork tube clamps(at that point make sure they are all the way home/up), then tighten them all again. At that point measure the left/right preload tops for equality.
Doyle

I had my forks rebuilt and adjusted mine today, turn them clockwise until they stop, turn them counter clockwise slowly until you can see the groove you might have to have someone shine a light on the adjuster if you cant see the groove, I adjusted mine to the 4th groove, then adjusted the rebound and compression adjusters, now my busa eats the twisties for lunch.
laugh.gif

My 06 has 28000 miles and feels better than it did when it was new.

100_5759.jpg

just shine a light on it Gene and you can see the lines pretty good and see how many there are

Today must be fork day??....
Well, finally let someone stiffen up the front end up today on our ride, feels much better in the corners, just being anal as usual and going back over it to make sure each side is equal.
You LET someone?  Someone? Am I chopped liver?........................
OK, was just keepin it anonymous ..........

Today I let THE "IRONMAN" DOYLE ((( RAYDOG ))) MENTOR & THE MAN WHO INSPIRES ME TO BECOME A MUCH BETTER RIDER!!!! stiffen up the front end on our ride.

How's that? Is that better?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well, finally let someone stiffen up the front end up today on our ride, feels much better in the corners, just being anal as usual and going back over it to make sure each side is equal.

Today I let THE "IRONMAN" DOYLE ((( RAYDOG ))) MENTOR & THE MAN WHO INSPIRES ME TO BECOME A MUCH BETTER RIDER!!!! stiffen up the front end on our ride.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
YES!!!!
muscle.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

bowdown.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I thought we were Friends DOYLE
dunno.gif
. You Adjusted Gene's Suspension before Me
sad.gif
I Think I am a Little HURT......
wowold.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Preload adjustments will not make your front stiffer. It only compresses the spring internally and raises or lowers your sag. You have a "Linear" spring in your fork and compressing it does not make it stiffer. You get a stiffer front from adjusting the compression dampening in to restrict the oil flow or by installing a heavier spring.

Also, I suggest you not go by ring count on the preload but run the preload adjuster all the way in then counting the turns as you back it out to your desired sag setting, making sure both forks have the same number of turns. Use a socket and mark the 12 o'clock position with a shapie so you can easily count the revolutions.

Proper sag on your busa forks (Street use) would be between 35 & 40 mm. IMHO of course. If you dress out at 200+ pounds I doubt you will achieve 40mm.

Adjusting your suspension is not a difficult task but it is important to know what each adjustment does and the effects it has on the bike.

There is another equasion most guys don't take into consideration when setting up their bikes suspension, "Swingarm angle"! Without trying to explain how it all functions in detail, swingarm angle is extremely important. Expecially when dealing with the massive power of the mighty busa.

Back