Flushing Brake/Clutch Lines

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Im going to be chinging all my lines to Galfer over the winter months, clutch included. I know the normal flush is to just put fresh fluid in the lines to flush the whole system but is there a more effective flushing and more DOT4 may not get everything out... I read on one post to use rubbing alcohol as a solvent? Im not so sure about that...

Just want to know if there is any other ideas. I googled it and all and i couldn't find anything else. Guess i would just get some cheap DOT4 and use that to flush it before i put in my Amsoil DOT4....

if it was me i would just repeatedly flush it with clean brake fluid.. just me i would never put anything else in the brake/clutch lines that might make the brake fluid unstable or mess up... just my .02.. but all the time ive changed and cleaned my clutch fluid out it always turned back black after a short period but i hear thats normal

if it was me i would just repeatedly flush it with clean brake fluid.. just me i would never put anything else in the brake/clutch lines that might make the brake fluid unstable or mess up... just my .02.. but all the time ive changed and cleaned my clutch fluid out it always turned back black after a short period but i hear thats normal

Thats what i figured. Just seeing if there was some kind of solvent to run through once. Ill just get som cheap DOT4 then put in the good stuff after i have flushed it out really well :thumbsup:

It won't take that much to flush out. I wouldn't even worry bout runnin a cheaper fluid thru it.
Posted via Mobile Device

what ever you do dont put rubbing alcohol or peroxide or anything else in the lines. Bad things will happen to your break system.:rulez:

what ever you do dont put rubbing alcohol or peroxide or anything else in the lines. Bad things will happen to your break system.:rulez:

Yeah thats what i figured but i dont know everything so figured i would see if i was missing something :laugh:

It won't take that much to flush out. I wouldn't even worry bout runnin a cheaper fluid thru it.
Posted via Mobile Device

You'll be surprised at how little runs thru, even doing both sides and the back. B etter to stay w/ teh same fluid for the whole operation if you can, but then I'm not a fan of mixing fluids. NEVER introduce ANYTHING other than brake fluid into your system, the system is one that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO USE for safety and normal operation. Messing w/ it for the sake of 'cleaning it' is nothing short insanity. The fluid turning color is just the DOT 4 fluid absorbing water. I have the same problem w/ DOT 5 in my HD despite it being 'anti-water absorbing'.

I bleed the brakes and flush new DOT 4 fluid through the brake and clutch lines of my 3 bikes at the beginning of each season. i consider it part of annual maintenance to get rid of the old fluid which has absorbed some moisture. I've changed the brake and clutch lines on all three bikes to the braided stainless steel lines and used aMighty-Vac to purge the air out ofthe new lines. The Mighty-Vac makes this process quick and easy. Use only the brake fluid for flushing, don't use anything else unless you want problems with your barkes and clutch.

Back