fix for cut out problem

OB_hiabuser

Registered
Well folks, here is the fix for the cutout problem. (drum roll please) Crank Angle Sensor. simple huh. well, before everybody who's had it checked out tell's me that it isn't what's causing the problem, i will just say this. mine tested fine with the suzuki test's listed in the suzuki service manual. bench tested just perfect. on a hunch, my dealer's mechanic, who happens to be a really good friend and an excellent mechanic, went on a hunch and replaced the crank angle sensor (he had a crashed busa at the shop and borrowed it) and voila! it worked. no more problem. not to mention that i was losing hp by the droves toward the end. down to 90 rwhp just before we replaced it. now it's back up to over 160 rwhp and run's like a champ. so, when your dealer tell's you that the crank angle sensor is testing fine, you can opt to spend your own money to order one and prove them wrong, (if this is definately the same problem everyone else is experiencing.) then make them pay you back for it when it fixes the problem. hope this helps.
mike

Thanks Hiabuser, I already told the mechanics to order one for me, I can't stand to worry about this cut anymore, I will test anything that can help us to fix the problem. I'll post the result as soon as I've done my tests procedure.
Do you mind if I send this info to Suzuki ?
pmb...a smile on my face...hayabusa...we are back !

well, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems that this may not actually fix the problem. it may only be a band-aid. seems after a longer period of time, the cutoff problem came back again. only this time, much worse. now, it won't idle at a stop light for more than a minute or two without shutting down. now i know some of you will probably be a little upset with me for posting that this was the fix, (i have confirmed that it was the reason i had lost all the hp) but i feel that i will take the heat by posting this message rather than continuing to lead people in the wrong direction. it is true however that the crank angle sensor was messing up and bench tested o.k. by suzuki's standards regardless, it's just that it either didn't fix the problem, (made it worse in fact) or the second one was just bad in a different way. it is back in the shop now. sorry to anyone who may have been inconvenienced by this information, but like i said, i will take the heat from this post rather than let people continue to believe the opposite. hope someone comes up with a fix soon or i may just go after suzuki for a 2000 model in place of my 99. take it easy.
mike

Sometimes these problems are tricky so I don't see any reason to be upset about anything. I wonder if your problem has to do with that little fuel filter mentioned in another thread? Please keep us posted on your problem. Althoug I have had no problems with my bike so far, I sure like to keep informed of what could possible happen and your posts are very useful.

hiabuser--you were only providing the information you had. Its a start, and its not like there is any better ideas at this point.
I have been lucky, so far, and have not experienced this.
Kawabuser--requested posting the serial numbers for the bikes with problems. Do you know how many people have cut out problems? If so, are the serial numbers/production dates similiar?
Good Luck

I don't know why people do not want to stand up and be counted when the dealer network does not even recognise there are serious safety issues at hand. A bike that cuts out with out any warning is nothing but dangerous and a threat to those who ride it or ride near it.

I just wish the service managers would at least say "let me take a look" and try to resolve it. But no, the owners who have these problems are left to fend for ourselves and attempt find solutions and do the work for Suzuki.
Sure it is a first year bike and there will be bugs but these bikes for the most part have low mileage and are not exclusive to any one country.If a bike in England and a bike in the USA have similar problems it is a common problem to the bike not to the specific build for each country(service manual shows differant ID's for each retail market). So all I can say is stand up be counted or tell me why you choose not to. I would not want anybody or myself to become a statistic for what could have been avoided in a responsible attempt to fix the problem.

The Hayabusa a bike that is sold as the "Ultimate Sportbike" capable of breaking all speed limits in first gear, and if it cuts out at any speed it could of only been the rider who was irresponsible should this result in a crash.

Have you ever tried to contact a Suzuki Regional Rep.? Good Luck!

Ever call Suzuki USA California to tell them of a problem? Here is what it sounds like.

It starts like this, "there is nobody here to speak to at this time, but give us your phone number and someone will call you in the next three days". They will not even give you a name or phone number to reach the mystery Regional Representative. And by the way they do not call you or write to you. They instead call the dealer where you bought the bike and give them flack for "why is the consumer complaining". When you call Suzuki in Cailfornia they cross referance your name so they know which bike you bought(VIN/Serial#- warranty card)and where it was sold .

It may take someone getting killed by the engine cut out problem before they react to it and I don't want it to be me or someone I know.

Don't get me wrong the bike is awsome, but the dealer network is suspect - dealers that still do not have service manuals to service Suzuki's flagship bike.

If your bike cuts out post your Serial#.

Kawabuser I couldn't agree with you more. I posted a question asking for an update on the timing chain tensioner failure, nothing yet. Suzuki denies it and now there is no new postings??
Suzuki customer service is pathetic, but I have spoken to real people and sometimes on the first attempt. It did however take them three days to return my request for an update on my back ordered parts.
Call em--714 996-7040 x-380 is c. service.
I also wish the ones having the problem would stand up and be counted or heard. Serial numbers, build dates, anything!
Bob

I am a lucky dog so far; I have had no cutout problems ... yet. So far, I've had no problems with my Busa other than the false neutral while shifting in the higher gears.

well, thanks for the support people. by the way, my busa is still in the shop. my dealer and his mechanics are great people. they have never denied me service or questioned my concerns. unfortunately, they are a little confused as to what the problem is. when i took it back to them, i didn't even have to ask them to ride it, i pulled up, left it in neutral, put the side stand down, the guys were all standing around the area, the bike idled for about 30 seconds then it sputtered and died. i cranked it for about 15 seconds then it started again. it idled fine, for about 30 seconds, then it died again. did this five or six times then it wouldn't even start. so, they have seen the problem. will post when i get some form of answer. good luck
mike

well, thanks for the support people. by the way, my busa is still in the shop. my dealer and his mechanics are great people. they have never denied me service or questioned my concerns. unfortunately, they are a little confused as to what the problem is. when i took it back to them, i didn't even have to ask them to ride it, i pulled up, left it in neutral, put the side stand down, the guys were all standing around the area, the bike idled for about 30 seconds then it sputtered and died. i cranked it for about 15 seconds then it started again. it idled fine, for about 30 seconds, then it died again. did this five or six times then it wouldn't even start. so, they have seen the problem. will post when i get some form of answer. good luck
mike
p.s. my serial # is 168

Back