Fitness/Health for Life...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, this topic actually started as a ruthless thread jackin' . To avoid further jackin' of poor ol' Meat Grinder's thread I decided to open a new thread for this discussion.

In addition to that motive, I also wondered how many of you may have made this commitment in the past? Maybe you could share some motivation and/or information that you've used to keep you on the path? Maybe even share some healthy yet tasty recipes for ol' BT the recoverin' fat ass. A little moral support never hurts either.
biggrin.gif

Right now I'm pretty much followin' the workouts in Bill Phillips' book, Body For Life. I did well with his program before so I went with what I knew would give results. I'm just gettin' started but I am already seein' and feelin' results. My mental outlook and energy levels have improved tremendously over the past week or so.

To recap the original diuscussion, I posted about how I'd always looked at diets and exercise as ways to get to where I wanted to be regarding weight and clothing sizes. I always reached my goals but once I did I sort of started slippin' and eventually stopped doin' good. We all know what happened then.

Well, I'm tired of bein' out of shape and unhealthy. I've been doin' a lot of readin' and soul searchin' and I've decided to approach the problem differently this time. I'm going to change the way I live and eat with the ultimate goal of livin' the rest of my life as healthy as I can instead of settin' weight and clothing goals. I'm makin' a lifestyle change, so to speak. No weight goals, no clothing size goals, just the goal of eatin' for energy and health instead of just for pleasure. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna weigh myself. I don't want to rely on that aspect as a guage of my success. No bench press or squat goals, just the goal of improving my physical health as best I can.

Now, have at it. Criticism, comments, suggestions, etc...
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082731756 -->

The most significant advice I can give is make it a life long change rather than a quick fix (sounds like that's your plan). I know so many people who want to lose 25lbs without the work of lifestyle change. If it took 2 years to put the pounds on it should safely take about the same to take it off. Remember a pound of fat is 3500 calories. So by removing 500 calories a day from your diet you could legitimately lose 1 pound of fat per week. Ususally this isn't feasable, so I teach patients to cut out 200 calories (a soda, candy bar, bagel) and incorporate an activity that burns ~300 calories (20 minute walk or bike ride--varies pending current body weight/type & activity level) to compensate. If you adopt that principle of allowing for you body to safely transform itself over time you'll be fine. Stay away from Atkins (although we do consume far too many carbs), south beach, LA weightloss, etc. Quick fixes to cure a longterm problem. Be safe and keep me posted Bullet, I too am adopting the same change. We're young, but we won't be always. God bless.

The most significant advice I can give is make it a life long change rather than a quick fix (sounds like that's your plan). I know so many people who want to lose 25lbs without the work of lifestyle change. If it took 2 years to put the pounds on it should safely take about the same to take it off.  Remember a pound of fat is 3500 calories.  So by removing 500 calories a day from your diet you could legitimately lose 1 pound of fat per week.  Ususally this isn't feasable, so I teach patients to cut out 200 calories (a soda, candy bar, bagel) and incorporate an activity that burns ~300 calories (20 minute walk or bike ride--varies pending current body weight/type & activity level) to compensate.  If you adopt that principle of allowing for you body to safely transform itself over time you'll be fine.  Stay away from Atkins (although we do consume far too many carbs), south beach, LA weightloss, etc.  Quick fixes to cure a longterm problem.  Be safe and keep me posted Bullet, I too am adopting the same change.  We're young, but we won't be always.  God bless.
You mentioned avoiding Atkins... Mind elaboratin' on that a little?
rock.gif
I'm curious as to your point of view as to why.

FWIW, I have used Atkins before. I started out on it the last time I done the weight loss thing. Lost around 40 pounds fairly quickly. Then I started workin' out regularly and found that I didn't have the energy I thought I should have, nor the strenght I usually had in the past when liftin'. I changed over to the Body For Life program which includes good carbs in moderate amounts and found that my energy levels and strength made nice improvements very quickly. I lost a total of 81 pounds that time... about half with each program. I certainly felt better on the BFL program though.

So, more input on Atkins just out of curiousity's sake please? I don't plan to use it again, just interested in your take.
wink.gif

Atkins incorporates an initial hardcore carb avoidance to switch the body's metabolism from burning carbs to burning fat. This process works, but oh my God slip for a minute on you diet and it comes back with a vengence. Any diet/program that incorporates diet or exercise ONLY! is incomplete. There needs to be a combination of the two for total lifestyle change. Not to mention the cardiovascular/muscular and psychological factors that go along with physical fitness. You mentioned that Body for Life incorporates "good carbs". That sounds like you're right on the money, they also incorporate workout plans...beginning to see the completeness. I think you're definitely on the right road.

I've found in my past experiences that a permanent lifestyle change is the only way to go.  There are seven key elements to promote a healthy lifestyle change and here they are summarized:

1.  Don't skip breakfast!  That is the most important meal of the day and should never be skipped, but is the easiest to skip.  This is the meal that gets your body going and stabilizes your metabolism, so whatever you do...DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!

2.  No meat for at least twelve weeks (3 mos.).  What happens here is that you are weened off of meat so that you won't feel that every meal has to have meat in it.  Works well for people like me who are meat lovers.

3.  Add more fiber to your diet.  Fiber is a good nutritional source and helps your body perform it's natural functions a lot more effectively.  A good way to do this is by adding a tablespoon of Grape Nuts cereal to a container of yogurt.  Gives yogurt a new kick and is pretty good also.

4.  Stay away from fast food.  Need I say more?

5.  Don't eat your evening meal past 7:00pm.  On the average, people retire for bed at 10:00pm and that allows your body approx. 3hrs for good digestion to take place.  Eating late and then going to bed (metabolism slows) without proper digestion won't allow for the body's metabolism to work effectively, therefore allowing for fat to store more effectively.

6.  Drink lots of water!  No need to go any further.  Water not only quenches your thirst, but it is very filling also.  Natural source of no calories or fat.  Drink to your hearts content.  In some cases, such as myself, you may need an over-the-counter diuretic to help you get rid of excess water.  This could give you a false sense of security if not done.  You may carry around a few lbs of unwanted water weight and a diuretic is designed to help.

7.  Count your caloric intake.  Some people go as far as keeping a little calorie diary.  If you're that strict then go for it.  I personally just keep an inventory of the foods I buy at home and just do a little calculating in my head.  Once you get familiar with what foods you like and their caloric values, then it will be quite simple.  Once I did my body fat-to-weight ratio, I was allowed to intake 1500 calories per day.  Depending on your body fat, it may be more or less.  I personally have been able to see anyone go under 1000 calories per day.  Anything under that, and you will literally starve yourself.  I found myself staying closer to the 1200 cal. range even though I was allowed 1500.

Now add in a little exercise on top of all that and this makes for a healthy and effective lifestyle change.  Focus more on the cardio for weight loss.

(Dr.)  Brian
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082733723 -->

Hey BT,

I posted some info on my experience

Basically, I had a protein shake in the morning, ate a piece of fruit every 2 hours, had a lunch (usually left overs from half decent meal night befoer), ate more fruit, then had dinner.   During the day, i had a 2L (64oz) bottle of water with me (it's easier to just fill up that ONE bottle instead of trying to remember how much you've had throughout the day).  i made sure i finished by the end of day...

Had a workout schedule I could forward u if you would like to see...  Just send me a PM
smile.gif

I have heard nothing but good things about the Body For Life program... I haven't tried it myself, i kinda went out on my own and did what was worknig for me.

Doing the above, i lost 25lbs in 2.5 months.  I had been working out for 10 years on and off and not seeing anything...  I was just stubborn and never really considered a healthier diet.  We shouldn't be eating to fuel hunger pangs.   Those kinds of scenarios only have your body telling u, "I need food, and since i don't know when i'm gonna get some next, i'm gonna store as much as possilbe + some extra".  Treat food as a drug and take it regularly and I saw changes immediately... Water is also an important key.... get your 2L (64oz) of it and it's pure water, not something that contains water like beer hahaha... (something i thought didn't matter at one point)...  

Eating regularly and frequently and smaller portions will increase your metabolism.

I'd type more but i have to work!  Hope some info helps u out or is useful to you
smile.gif

Added: Cut out those sugary soft drinks and fruit juices too! water water water!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Iced
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082733190 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks for the reply and insight. I agree that diet without exercise isn't the way to go. Too many "flabby" skinny people walkin' around as proof. There's definitely a difference between being slim and being fit and healthy. I wanna be FIT and HEALTHY dammit, not just slim!
wink.gif

i should mention as well... once u get closer to your target, you will find that u have to work less to maintain your current fitness level.

I've found in my past experiences that a permanent lifestyle change is the only way to go.  There are six key elements to promote a healthy lifestyle change and here they are summarized:

1.  Don't skip breakfast!  That is the most important meal of the day and should never be skipped, but is the easiest to skip.  This is the meal that gets your body going and stabilizes your metabolism, so whatever you do...DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!

2.  No meat for at least twelve weeks (3 mos.).  What happens here is that you are weened off of meat so that you won't feel that every meal has to have meat in it.  Works well for people like me who are meat lovers.

3.  Add more fiber to your diet.  Fiber is a good nutritional source and helps your body perform it's natural functions a lot more effectively.  A good way to do this is by adding a tablespoon of Grape Nuts cereal to a container of yogurt.  Gives yogurt a new kick and is pretty good also.

4.  Stay away from fast food.  Need I say more?

5.  Don't eat your evening meal past 7:00pm.  On the average, people retire for bed at 10:00pm and that allows your body approx. 3hrs for good digestion to take place.  Eating late and then going to bed (metabolism slows) without proper digestion won't allow for the body's metabolism to work effectively, therefore allowing for fat to store more effectively.

6.  Drink lots of water!  No need to go any further.  Water not only quenches your thirst, but it is very filling also.  Natural source of no calories or fat.  Drink to your hearts content.  In some cases, such as myself, you may need an over-the-counter diuretic to help you get rid of excess water.  This could give you a false sense of security if not done.  You may carry around a few lbs of unwanted water weight and a diuretic is designed to help.

Now add in a little exercise on top of all that and this makes for a healthy and effective lifestyle change.  Focus more on the cardio for weight loss.

(Dr.)  Brian
laugh.gif
In reply:

#1- That's my favorite meal of the day so no problem there. The problem is what I love to eat for breakfast. :;
smile.gif
I've started eatin' Myoplex nutrition bars for breakfast. I do my workouts and cardio first thing in the morning before eatin' to maximize fat burning and then wait 45 minutes to an hour before eatin to take advantage of the increased fat burning from the workout. Got that tip from BFL...

#2- I can't see me quit'n meat for a week, much less 12 weeks. I've tried the no meat diets and didn't feel healthy. However, I am now including other sources of protein into my diet so that I don't rely on meat for all of it.

#3- Workin' on that as well. Good tip!
biggrin.gif

#4- You struck a nerve with that one! That's a LARGE part of my diet problem. Aside from the fact that I tend to habitually overeat at every meal, given my job I find myself pressed for time to eat most days and swingin' through the drive-thru at Mickey D's or Wendy's is just plain CONVENIENT. To solve that problem I have bought a small Igloo lunch size cooler that I keep in the car at work with one of those freezable cold packs in it. I've been makin' health conscious sandwichs that are portion sized for me and keepin' them in the car. Even if I'm runnin' call to call I can whip out a sammich and eat it on the way to the next one. That has helped me to plan my meals out and beat the clock so to speak. I haven't been tempted to stop at a fast food place since I started that.
super.gif

#5- I've stopped that as well. Again, the cooler with sammiches in it has came to my rescue when I work over. I don't get off until 6:00 so if I'm over at all it's hard to get home in time to fix somethin' before 7:00.

#6- Another excellent tip. I've started keepin' a quart bottle of water in the car, too. I drink 3-4 quarts while at work and usually about half a Brita pitcher at the house before bedtime. That reminds me, I gotta PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
laugh.gif

Thanks for the input bro!
beerchug.gif
<~ That's water in those glasses!
wink.gif

laugh.gif

Here's my .02 cents BT. I work out at least 5 times a week and have for the last 3 1/2 years. The biggest mistake I see people do when they are starting an exercise program is that they don't ease their way into. Most people I see dive right in and try and hit the weights/cardio a lot heavier with a lot more reps than their bodies can handle. The end result is they are so sore that they can't come back in and do it again for another week. By then they have lost the incentive to keep coming back. They usually end up lasting a month tops and then they are done.

Stick with it and it will change your life. Besides, the stronger you are the better you can handle your Busa.
soapbox.gif

Hey BT,

I posted some info on my experience

Basically, I had a protein shake in the morning, ate a piece of fruit every 2 hours, had a lunch (usually left overs from half decent meal night befoer), ate more fruit, then had dinner.   During the day, i had a 2L (64oz) bottle of water with me (it's easier to just fill up that ONE bottle instead of trying to remember how much you've had throughout the day).  i made sure i finished by the end of day...

Had a workout schedule I could forward u if you would like to see...  Just send me a PM
smile.gif

I have heard nothing but good things about the Body For Life program... I haven't tried it myself, i kinda went out on my own and did what was worknig for me.

Doing the above, i lost 25lbs in 2.5 months.  I had been working out for 10 years on and off and not seeing anything...  I was just stubborn and never really considered a healthier diet.  We shouldn't be eating to fuel hunger pangs.   Those kinds of scenarios only have your body telling u, "I need food, and since i don't know when i'm gonna get some next, i'm gonna store as much as possilbe + some extra".  Treat food as a drug and take it regularly and I saw changes immediately... Water is also an important key.... get your 2L (64oz) of it and it's pure water, not something that contains water like beer hahaha... (something i thought didn't matter at one point)...  

Eating regularly and frequently and smaller portions will increase your metabolism.

I'd type more but i have to work!  Hope some info helps u out or is useful to you
smile.gif

Added:  Cut out those sugary soft drinks and fruit juices too!   water water water!
smile.gif
Good input Iced.
beerchug.gif
I'd love to see your workout schedule. Want my email addy or what?

smile.gif

smile.gif

Hey BT,  I updated the list because I forgot one.  Check out number 7.

7. Count your caloric intake. Some people go as far as keeping a little calorie diary. If you're that strict then go for it. I personally just keep an inventory of the foods I buy at home and just do a little calculating in my head. Once you get familiar with what foods you like and their caloric values, then it will be quite simple. Once I did my body fat-to-weight ratio, I was allowed to intake 1500 calories per day. Depending on your body fat, it may be more or less. I personally have been able to see anyone go under 1000 calories per day. Anything under that, and you will literally starve yourself. I found myself staying closer to the 1200 cal. range even though I was allowed 1500.
I'm in the 1200-1400 calories per day, 300-350 range and I feel completely satisfied, as in no hunger pangs all day until just before bedtime, which is when I WANT to be empty/hungry. My energy level (and I assume my blood sugar levels) stay consistant instead of peakin' and dippin' throughout the day like it did before I changed.

I've added up my caloric intake a couple times since I started just to make sure I was in the ballpark of where I wanted to be but I won't be countin' calories per say. That's one thing I LOVE about BFL. No countin' calories or weighin' yer food at ALL. You just eat from an approved foods list, which has lots of things I like on it, and you eat "portions" instead of havin' to weigh it out in ounces and count calories. I can live the rest of my life eatin' portions of good foods. I don't care to spend the rest of my life countin' calories (I HATE math!) or weighin' food (too much hassle).

On the BFL program, a portion is about the size of your clenched fist, or the palm of your hand. A piece of chicken breast or steak the size of your palm and approx 1/2" thick is a portion of protein, a baked potato the size of your clenched fist is a portion of carbs, two slices of whole wheat bread about the size of your palm is a portion of carbs, a pile of lettuce or broccoli about the size of your palm is a serving of veggies, etc... No weights, no calculator needed, no hassle. I shop the meat section for cuts that are about the size of my palm, the veggie section for appropriate sized veggies, etc... Absolutely no hassles and the calories have checked out right for me every time I've ever added up my intake. Besides, I'm sort of a perfectionist and I DON'T need somethin' else, like countin' freakin' calories, to try and get exactly friggin' right in my life!
biggrin.gif

That's how I done it when I lost weight on BFL before. I did monitor my caloric intake to begin with out of habit and it worked out to around 1500-1800 a day. However, at that time I was liftin' heavy and was eatin' six small meals a day. I'm eatin' five a day right now. Once I get hard core into weights and exercise again I'll prolly go back to six meals a day which should put me back around 1500 or so a day.

I'd say that you have an excellent point for those whose diet and portions/meals doesn't happen to work out to these numbers. Excellent point Brian!
super.gif

BT, just wanted to jump in and say congratulations on making the decision to make this lifelong change! I don't have a whole lot of suggestions for you because I have been kind of lucky in being able to workout and eat in a good combination. I have done just the opposite and worked on adding muscle and size by lifting, but staying in shape through cardio exercise. I know when I head back to the desert that that will be one of my mainstays to help get me through the year. Whether this is true or not I have been told that doing something repetitively for 21 days is sufficient to establish a pattern or routine. So, I would echo what Geebman said and take it easy, work your way into it and after about 3 weeks you will really miss it if you don't do it! My mother started working during her lunch hour at work and after that time she felt really bad when she wasn't able to do it!

Anyway, good luck and know we are all here to help if you need us! Of course we may want a little gratas in the paint shop, but hey! Just kidding! Sounds like things are going well and will continue that way!

Here's my .02 cents BT. I work out at least 5 times a week and have for the last 3 1/2 years. The biggest mistake I see people do when they are starting an exercise program is that they don't ease their way into. Most people I see dive right in and try and hit the weights/cardio a lot heavier with a lot more reps than their bodies can handle. The end result is they are so sore that they can't come back in and do it again for another week. By then they have lost the incentive to keep coming back. They usually end up lasting a month tops and then they are done.

Stick with it and it will change your life. Besides, the stronger you are the better you can handle your Busa.  
soapbox.gif
Excellent point Geeb!
super.gif
I am easin' into both the cardio and the weights this time. I've been down the road to premature burnout before. Luckily I've never injured myself by doin' too much, too fast but it's due to luck, not the fact that I used common sense.
wink.gif

You also have a good point about bein' able to handle the busa better! On that note, after losin' down to a healthy weight I should also be able to better enjoy a litre bike, too. I feel a bit too big to be on one of those things right now.
wink.gif

I think maybe I'll plan to try and buy me a litre bike later on after my life changes allow me to fit comfortably into nice racin' leathers. That could provide a LOT of motivation and help me stay focused!
biggrin.gif
I know I said that I don't want weight or clothing size goals, and this is not technically a clothing "size" goal, but one thing that I keep on my mind and focus on when I want to blow it by eatin' junk is this... One of my goals is to look GOOD in a set of full racin' leathers. Besides the fact that they will protect me in the event of a crash, I just think they looked damned schweet (!!!), but not on a fat ass.
laugh.gif

wink.gif

BT, just wanted to jump in and say congratulations on making the decision to make this lifelong change!  I don't have a whole lot of suggestions for you because I have been kind of lucky in being able to workout and eat in a good combination.  I have done just the opposite and worked on adding muscle and size by lifting, but staying in shape through cardio exercise.  I know when I head back to the desert that that will be one of my mainstays to help get me through the year.  Whether this is true or not I have been told that doing something repetitively for 21 days is sufficient to establish a pattern or routine.  So, I would echo what Geebman said and take it easy, work your way into it and after about 3 weeks you will really miss it if you don't do it!  My mother started working during her lunch hour at work and after that time she felt really bad when she wasn't able to do it!

Anyway, good luck and know we are all here to help if you need us!  Of course we may want a little gratas in the paint shop, but hey!  Just kidding!    Sounds like things are going well and will continue that way!
Moral support is worth just as much as the tips and tricks at this stage, bro! Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Best advice I can give is to avoid eating anything full of sugars... period... Yup, just cut down on the typical American intake of Sugar and that should help a whole lot.

Then, once your down to where you want to be, don't eat anything that isn't really good, I am meaning junkfood wise.
Sometimes you get a piece of cake, at a Birthday thing or something, if it is not really whoop ass... don't eat it... Same goes for everything else, twinkies are not REAL GOOD... so don't eat em'. Out at a fancy place and you get offered a piece of Flourless chocolate cake? If it's perfect...eat it, if it's not just right don't... Becoming real picky about what you do eat helps alot. It eliminates allmost all junkfoods/fastfoods etc...

Just a thought... Good luck to you bro, you can do it.. Food is a muther, and I am talking from experiance... I am still wrestling with it...

Best advice I can give is to avoid eating anything full of sugars...   period...  Yup, just cut down on the typical American intake of Sugar and that should help a whole lot.

Then, once your down to where you want to be, don't eat anything that isn't really good, I am meaning junkfood wise.
Sometimes you get a piece of cake, at a Birthday thing or something, if it is not really whoop ass... don't eat it...  Same goes for everything else, twinkies are not REAL GOOD... so don't eat em'.  Out at a fancy place and you get offered a piece of Flourless chocolate cake?  If it's perfect...eat it, if it's not just right don't...  Becoming real picky about what you do eat helps alot.  It eliminates allmost all junkfoods/fastfoods etc...  

Just a thought...  Good luck to you bro, you can do it..   Food is a muther, and I am talking from experiance... I am still wrestling with it...
Yeah, sugar filled foods are my weakness I guess. I friggin' LOVE me some ice cream and uhhhhhh, donuts (shut the f*%k up!), and chocolate ANYTHING. I've been eatin' the typical American diet. Loads of sugar and empty calories. That's what got me where I am.

The BFL program gives you one day a week that you can eat ANYTHING you want. However, what I'm finding already this time is the same thing I found last time. When my free day rolls around I'd just as soon have the same things I eat for the rest of the week for the most part. I did blow one meal yesterday. Felt like crap for the rest of the day. The food was good, but not worth the way I felt afterward.

Before, even though I had one day a week that I could eat whatever I wanted all day I usually preferred to eat the same good for me stuff I ate during the rest of the week for the same reason. Phillips touches on that in the BFL book and it's true. Once the good eatin' habits flush yer body of the crap food effects, eatin' garbage foods just kind of re-enforces the good habits. The slugishness, indigestion, energy level swings, etc rare their ugly head after just one junk meal and you wish you'd just ate right. That goes a long way toward helpin' one do what you said and become picky about what garbage they eat.

Sometimes I'd use one meal that day to eat something really good (like you said) that wasn't exactly good for me but I usually still watched portions and never blew a whole day. Most times I'd just keep right on truckin' with my program and skip the free days until some sort of social situation came up and I wanted to eat whatever I wanted. That's how I intend to handle it from now on. A rare junk meal won't have much effect on things. It's when basically EVERYTHING you eat is junk that you end up like lots of modern Americans.
wink.gif

Good advice, Rev. Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Back