Fiscal Cliff Crisis Averted - or just Delayed?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Details of the deal (with my thoughts in BOLD ITALICS):

Income Tax: Over $400k Individual / $450K Joint, Goes from 35% back to 39.5%. Personal exemptions phase out at $250K and $300K.
Actually, I think this was a reasonable compromise; Income taxes had to go up SOME, this amount, while not enough to pay down squat, isn't too big to absorb by those actually making that kind of money. $250K was way too low a line. Both sides can claim some victory; the Republicans were NOT holding the high ground on this one.

Estate Tax: 40% at $5M Individual and $10M Family. Up from 35%.
This one was the one that scared me the most. Income tax is pay as you go, but Inheritance tax is tax paid on money/assets/wealth you've ALREADY paid taxes on, and really effects small business and family farms (have to sell the asset or go into huge debt just to pay the tax to keep it). Much better than the result of going over the cliff (50% with no exclusion would have KILLED small business and the economy along with it). If I had to compromise, I'd rather pay higher income taxes, but what I've got afterwards IS MINE.

Capital Gains: 20% on those exceeding the Income limits above, up from 15%.
Surviveable won't destroy the stock market.

AMT: Idexes AMT for inflation
Surviveable

Other:

- 5 year expansion of Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, Renewable Energy, Accelerated Depreciation, R&D, Renewable Engergy, $2500 Tuition Credit.
5 years WAAY too long. Anybody who thinks the above deal lasts past the next congressional election cycle is fooling themselves. Earned income tax credit burns my shorts the worst: It's a CASH REBATE on taxes NEVER PAID (just call it WELFARE; debate and vote on it as such). Oh, and the more babies you have that you can't afford, the more the gov't pays you..

- Extended unemployment benefits for another year
What is it, now 4 years extended paid vacation? They need it to start to go down after a point so people don't get dependent on it. I had someone tell me today that they had hired a guy to start today; he didn't show up this morning and when asked why, he said he didn't have to since his unemployment had gotten extended.....here's a guy that COULD work but chooses not to because he's living on the Govt dole...

- Blocked 27% Medicare Reimbursement cut
Don't have opinion but I'm sure Doctors do.

- Social Security Payroll Tax cut expires (2%)
Should have never been enacted anyway because it was supposed to be temporary. Effects everyone that actually WORKS equally.

- Delayed Sequester of Defense Budget for 2 months
Ridiculous just kicked the can for 60 days about the time we fight over debt ceiling

- Harder to convert existing Traditional IRA's to Roths.
Survivable

The bottom line is: Both sides got some of what they wanted thru this manufactured crisis, but the real loser is still the country as it does nothing to stop or even slow down the reckless spending spiral we are in. We don't have a revenue problem, we have a SPENDING problem. Uncle Sam needs to get his dirty hands out of his great-grandchildren's piggy banks! Look for the next "cliff" to be the debt ceiling. By making all these "crisis", it will promise another slow, bumpy 2013 because we still live in too much uncertainty.

Should have never been enacted anyway because it was supposed to be temporary. Effects everyone that actually WORKS equally.

Not really, Politicians, and some non-profit organization workers do not pay social security tax. A better solution IMO would be to stop raiding the social security fund.

The problem is they can't seem to do their jobs for fear of losing their jobs. It's like they are all campaigning still, yet none want to actually solve the issues. No one wants their pay cut for additional taxes but especially when the govt spending is at an all time high with more and more programs coming online every day. The problem is there is no such thing as a retired/closed/shutterred govt program. Once one gets going you can't stop it, at least not completely.

My fear is that they will take the next 59 days to publicly stroke each other for doing such a great job on this "compromise" and let this debt issue go til the last minute again. While no one I'm sure thinks we won't pay our debts, the economy will get clobbered is our rating falls again. For some reason those in DC think they can still spend their way out of debt :lol::banghead:

Not really, Politicians, and some non-profit organization workers do not pay social security tax. A better solution IMO would be to stop raiding the social security fund.

Absolutly, but too late for that. So much for entrusting your financial future to the GOVERNMENT...If you are really expecting the govt to provide for you in your older years...I've got some swamp real estate to sell you. Between raising the retirement age (no DOUBT it's going to 67) and Obamacare (reduced care to elderly), I think the real idea is to make it so you work/pay into it most of your life, then you die before you get much out of it...

I cant wait til we hit the fiscal wall, think it will be sooner now. Don't mind paying higher taxes just wish they would get spending at the federal level back within their constitutional bounds. The credit card is about maxed out, I am pretty excited about it too. The fiscal day of reckoning is near. Fk the Republicans and really Fk the Democrats, both are organized crime syndicates.

Absolutly, but too late for that. So much for entrusting your financial future to the GOVERNMENT...If you are really expecting the govt to provide for you in your older years...I've got some swamp real estate to sell you. Between raising the retirement age (no DOUBT it's going to 67) and Obamacare (reduced care to elderly), I think the real idea is to make it so you work/pay into it most of your life, then you die before you get much out of it...

I think this goes along with the current immigration plan. Make the USD worth less than all the countries who's citizens flood our country each day so that they just stay home. :whistle: When I see the peso, currently around .10/dollar worth .50/dollar, I'm outta here :laugh:

Oh, and Obama can no longer use the "EVIL RICH" as he has now gotten a tax increase thru on them. Now the Republicans can say "Mr. President, the rich ARE paying more of their "Fair Share", so when are we going to cut spending?"

Once the US dollar falls from grace and is replaced as the reserve currency, it will make our current economy look like the good years.

It's all hocus pocus. They had this worked out weeks ago and just want to look like heroes for staying late on New yrs eve. Bunch of paid actors is all they are. I can't wait for what's coming. Lets tear it down and rebuild it soon so at least my kids can have a decent life.

Back