Finished 1441 build, need a little help

KvHotDog4

Registered
Everything is working pretty good, however I have a few concerns.

1. If the engine is warm and you shut it off long enough to fill the tank the starter will not turn it over fast enough to crank. I tried the higher amp lead/acid battery and now I have the 325 cca Lithium ion battery. This one does a lot better but it did fail me yesterday, let the bike cool off a little and it fired right up.

2. The clutch cover will get so hot it will literally blister your hand, I can feel the heat though my shoe when riding. The clutch was slipping under a load at about 6k, but now I have installed stiffer clutch springs it does not slip at all but it still gets hot.

These 2 things have me worried and I would like to know if this is normal for the 1441 build or something I may have done wrong. The engine now has close to 1500 miles on the build I have changed the break in oil and added engine ice. Also the engine temp never goes above half on the gauge no matter the temp of the clutch cover, also I checked to see if it was just the clutch side its not, the sprocket side is just as hot as the clutch side.

Please help :please::please:

Was the oil cooler removed,like in a turbo build? Or a block off plate used?

Yer battery is having issues because of the added heat now around it from this build.

Fixing the cooking motor,will cure the battery issue.

RSD.

Convert to 24 volts - its a high compression/heat issue. i work with a guy that has pressure relief valves on his high compressed Harley for that specific reason.

You need to go with a 24v system. Its making to much compression for 1 battery. Look on the Schnitz site, it will tell you how its done

I have not tuned it yet, I have the power commander 3 usb with the muzzy exhaust map, when I rev it it shoots a little black smoke, so I am not too worried about it being lean. I will be having it dyno tuned next weekend. I agree the heat is the problem all the way around, but I don't know where the heat is coming from. The engine is running great and the temp is well below what it did factory before the 2nd fan install. Its like the transmission is just getting hot. I still have the oil cooler installed.

I have not tuned it yet, I have the power commander 3 usb with the muzzy exhaust map, when I rev it it shoots a little black smoke, so I am not too worried about it being lean. I will be having it dyno tuned next weekend. I agree the heat is the problem all the way around, but I don't know where the heat is coming from. The engine is running great and the temp is well below what it did factory before the 2nd fan install. Its like the transmission is just getting hot. I still have the oil cooler installed.

This is a bummer. Definately the clutch is going to have to work harder to put the extra horses to the ground,but it sounds like you have done everything right.

From what you said it sounds like the cooling system is working better than it ever has,but the oil cooling has issues.If the pump was toast,you wouldn't have gotten 1500 miles out of it.

I'm going to guess that something may have been incorrectly installed in the clutch and/or tranny. They are the only things that are cooking.As you said you needed heavy clutch springs to stop it from slipping.The clutch is probably on its way south due to the extreme heat.

Wish I had the answer Bro.

RSD.

This is a bummer. Definately the clutch is going to have to work harder to put the extra horses to the ground,but it sounds like you have done everything right.

From what you said it sounds like the cooling system is working better than it ever has,but the oil cooling has issues.If the pump was toast,you wouldn't have gotten 1500 miles out of it.

I'm going to guess that something may have been incorrectly installed in the clutch and/or tranny. They are the only things that are cooking.As you said you needed heavy clutch springs to stop it from slipping.The clutch is probably on its way south due to the extreme heat.

Wish I had the answer Bro.

RSD.

Thank you for your input, I talked to the guy at M/T Performance (who degreed my cams), he said I may have an oil passageway blocked but its hard to tell without seeing the bike. He will be tuning it for me, I will ride it to him so he can see the issue. If anyone else has any different ideas I would love to hear them. Anyone with a 1441 ever notice how hot the clutch cover got?
Also, I checked all the discs and plates in the clutch they were all well within spec, the clutch was replaced about a year before I blew up the engine.

you WILL need a 24v starter system . I am changing mine to one now . I have the Shorai 325cca and just got another . It would be hard starting when hot but fine once the motor sat for a few

When I was into racing and I had some BIG motors in my cars. I always used a kill switch. Get the motor turning flip the switch and they fired right up. I would try this first. It is the cheapest thing to try. Just a thought

24 Volt harness from Tiger Racing
I believe if you call, you will talk to a fellow Hayabusa.org member. Just cannot remember his name.
After you install the 24 volt system, you never have to wait for a cool down. Used the system for over a year with a 1397 engine and currently using Ballistic Batteries. Bottom line, it works for starting every time!

Thanks for the input, I guess I will be saving for another battery, unless I can use a Shorai battery with a lead/acid battery to make the 24volt cranking.

I am still concerned about the transmission getting hot. Do any of you guys with the 1397 or 1441 have any issues with the clutch cover getting so hot you can't touch it?

Thanks for the input, I guess I will be saving for another battery, unless I can use a Shorai battery with a lead/acid battery to make the 24volt cranking.

I am still concerned about the transmission getting hot. Do any of you guys with the 1397 or 1441 have any issues with the clutch cover getting so hot you can't touch it?

I dont see a problem to your first question.12 volts is 12 volts. Even if the CCA is different.

I hope this gets worked out,I for one am very interested in the outcome.

Those tiger racing battery boxes require a little bit of chop and mod. ouch. Anybody ever try sticking one in the hump.:laugh:

RSD.

I dont see a problem to your first question.12 volts is 12 volts. Even if the CCA is different.

I hope this gets worked out,I for one am very interested in the outcome.

Those tiger racing battery boxes require a little bit of chop and mod. ouch. Anybody ever try sticking one in the hump.:laugh:

RSD.

Yes.....
Second battery just hangs out in the way back part of the trunk (almost unusable space otherwise). No special undertail needed - just some fancy wire work.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/173494-diy-24v-starter.html

With enough persuasion i might be able to make you one... its just all about getting the right wires in the right place. The Tiger Racing one is good if you use their under-tail and buy their small battery and their wire harness. Nothing against them, they make great stuff, some of which i own, but i just wanted to do the same thing without having to buy all of the extra parts. I also didn't want a switch to mess with, flipping it back and forth between 12 and 24 volts. You could also experience a starter kick-back that could ruin your case if you forget to switch to 24V.

With enough persuasion i might be able to make you one... its just all about getting the right wires in the right place. The Tiger Racing one is good if you use their under-tail and buy their small battery and their wire harness. Nothing against them, they make great stuff, some of which i own, but i just wanted to do the same thing without having to buy all of the extra parts. I also didn't want a switch to mess with, flipping it back and forth between 12 and 24 volts. You could also experience a starter kick-back that could ruin your case if you forget to switch to 24V.

So what will give you enough persuasion to build me one, or give me a wiring diagram for each wire? Keep in mind my bank account is now in the bike, I don't mind paying but it will be awhile before I am able to buy more parts haha.

Back