Finally i have my 06 black/grey!!!

Gear is not practical?

Someone make me understand where a 150+ RWHP, 186mph, 480lbs street motorcycle features in the "Practicality" department?
rock.gif

Dude - you are going to fall and you are going to get hurt. I would make sure the will and testament are in place and you notify all the people who actually care for you that you take your life into your own hands. I would also complete a DNR in case the trauma is too severe because going into a Coma etc. is not fun.

Go ahead and ride without gear as long as luck stays on your side - I have nothing against freedom of choice. All I am asking you to do is to make sure you cover all bases that will suffer as a result of the consequences of your insurmountable stupidity.

HOW can you not see the need for gear despite hearing and reading of so many accidents is simply unbelievable. Either you are 15 years old -OR- on some sort of chemical substance that inhibits rational thinking. This week we have heard of 4 accidents involving bikes/riders/members. One of them came close to losing his life and his fiancee's life at the same time. Members of this board with significantly more experience than you have had bad falls.

I cant WAIT to say "I told you so" when the time comes...no sympathy from my end. When you fall - you will deserve it.

Remember - Having an accident/falling is not always your fault -NOR- can you predict when and where it is going to happen. Sh*t happens before you know it and usually some other a$$hat is involved despite your BEST riding form. Try and protect yourself from that with your superhuman riding ability.

Me? I am going to LMFAO when you go down...never thought I would say this to ANY member of this board. Perhaps you wont be a member here long enough to talk about your accident and your pain and suffering...who knows...
So... I am "going to fall"? Really? You can see into future? If so, please tell me some winning lottery numbers in GA so I can go across the border and win me some millions!

So... has EVERYONE here on this forum wrecked their Hayabusa before? Have you?

If I changed and decided to wear full gear for every ride, would that mean that I'm not going to fall? Ever?

Bro - no ill will towards you. You will learn through experience. I choose to learn from other's experience. I guess you prefer a more "interactive" approach to this topic so lets leave it at that.

As for "deserving to crash" - that was bollocks...I didnt mean that - was just a bit antsy. Nobody deserves to crash.

Ride on!
cool.gif

So... if a car pulls out in front of me at an intersection and I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt I DERSERVED IT? But a rider in full gear DID NOT DESERVE IT? That makes no f*3kin' sense at all!
Nobody deserves it.  It just happens.  Which would you rather do, get up pissed off or lay there in agony and spend the next three months in agony while your road rash heals up?

Your choice.  What's the quote?  "You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash."

And no, I don't ride the bike to the corner gas station for a pack of smokes.  I walk or take the car.  And if it's too hot for full gear, it's too hot to ride.

I used to think like you and make a lot of excuses why I didn't need gear or couldn't afford it.  I'm tellin' ya, though, when you see a guy crash on a track video at 100+ mph and the worst thing that happens is he loses a great bike, well, that can sell you on gear.  That and the photos and vids of the guys who did NOT wear any gear and suffer a great deal more because of it.

Do you deserve to crash?  No.  Do you deserve greater pain?  Nope.  Will you have greater pain if you go down with no gear?  Yup.

The best we can do for you after the fall is have sympathy for you.  At least now, we have a miniscule chance of assisting you with an attitude change and preventing some hurt for you.

That simple.

--Wag--
I've seen those videos, too. The racers just loose the bike and they all pretty much stand up and walk away. Seeing those videos would sell me on gear, too, if I bought the bike for weekend trips or sport riding for fun. But for going to work on every day... I wouldn't/won't put on full armor for that.

But I can admit that you're right. Everyone here is right about the gear issue. I'm wrong. But... I still won't wear full gear for simple trips down the block.

Sounds like you had an interesting experience riding the bike home for the first time.  The bike is as tame as you let it be or as hostile as you want it to be!  You can't however not expect folks to talk about your lack of riding gear.  You leave the reflectors on the bike (and yes they are blinding) as some form of protection, but won't put the right stuff on your body in the event the reflectors fail to do their job?  I don't get it, so you will hear about it constantly from us.  Glad you finally got her home.
If I leave the reflectors on, it's got nothing to do with safety. Called being too lazy to remove them. But... yeah, I've now made up my mind to remove them.

I'm not going to be getting full riding gear anytime soon... sorry but I just don't see the need because I honestly wouldn't be wearing pants/jacket for every trip I make on the bike. It's not practical. I don't know anyone here who rides so I won't be "touring" around on the bike... just riding the bike the same as I would my car around town.
Wearing or not wearing gear is an individual's decision, however, not wearing it is a foolish one. Sorry, but have to say it. A motorcycle can be used for daily transportation, but can't be driven like a car around town. You may think it's not practical, but when you go down you will wish you were wearing it. And at that point it's too late!

People in AL do not use turn signals... I think because there's no law stating cars have to signal. Because of that, I don't ride close behind cars. Many times in my car I've had people just stop suddenly and turn. It p1sses me off royally. Would have been polite of them to give me some kind of warning by using their TURN SIGNAL! But they don't. Because of this, I stay pretty far behind cars on the bike unless I can see that there are no roads up ahead for them to turn on. Plus, when I get too close to a car that means it's time for me to pass them anyway lol!

It's totally true that riding a bike isn't like cruising around town in a car because you have to be totally aware... not like being in a car smoking and listening to the cd player. It may sound strange, but I've always felt safer on a bike because I can see everything around me... and because it's faster than a car. Also because when I'm on a bike I'm more alert. I'm sure people here can second that. But it is obvious (everyone knows) if you get hit by a car you're gonna be in some serious hurt (unless you're lucky).

sounds like a lemming to me.... nobody else rides with gear so i'm not going to....
going down at 25 mph is enough to take your skin off to the muscle! it sounds as if you havent been riding long. after you have ridin a while you will understand why most people are saying you need more than shorts and a t-shirt. People will pull out in front of you, most of the time you will have time to react, but there is always that chance that you wont. Shorts and a t-shirt isnt going to save your skin or your squash...

sounds like a lemming to me.... nobody else rides with gear so i'm not going to....
going down at 25 mph is enough to take your skin off to the muscle! it sounds as if you havent been riding long. after you have ridin a while you will understand why most people are saying you need more than shorts and a t-shirt. People will pull out in front of you, most of the time you will have time to react, but there is always that chance that you wont. Shorts and a t-shirt isnt going to save your skin or your squash...
Ok, shut the fvck up about me not riding long... if you've read all or even some of my posts you'll see that I have been riding before. My riding experience took place in Los Angeles, which happens to be the most congested city in the USA maybe only 2nd to New York. Cars pulled out in front of me all the time in LA. I also split lanes, etc. I never went down. It's cool to call me a moron for not riding in full gear... but don't comment about something you have no clue about. I know how to ride in traffic and how to anticipate things. Cars also pull out in front of you while you're driving your car! Do they not? Or is a busa a magnet that lures cars near you and makes them pull out in front of you? I don't think so. I'm 34yrs old, never had an accident, never fell off a street bike, and I am a very safe rider/driver... but yeah, damn, IF something happens it will hurt a whole lot more without full gear. Duh?

Just don't preach to me with your elitist mentality. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who rides without full gear. And I'd bet money that some guys here who do ride with full gear also ride like a lunatic... speeding all the time, etc. so they absolutely NEED that gear. But, yes, I'm sure there are guys here that wear full gear all the time and ride responsibly. This board has all types of riders... and maybe it's better to just respect everyone's "way" instead of bringing them down just because they don't do things the way you "think" they should be done. Just how I feel.

Thanks for your opinion, though...

We left to ocean shores(washington st) yesterday at about2:00.It was about 90!We made it to Olympia(about 1/3 of the way into the trip) in full gear.At this point from watching all of the other riders,that we were the only ones.One guy passed us on the freeway w/no shirt!!!! many in tank tops and tshirts. we took off the chaps,but still had the coats(all of my vents were open but it was still sweltering.I guess my point is that I always wear my gear and I ride every day.Everyone that knows me teases me about never driving.I sold my 04F150 when I bought my 04 kawi zrx 1200 because I never drove it .Now I have my Busa I drive even less.I have a beater '65 chev PU if needed.Please just be very careful,no one is predicting that you are going to crash,it would just be nice if you had some gear. Oh just wondering what your RPMs are going 80 in 6th I was at a buck30 in 4th at only alittle over 7000 I've yet to really use 6th.

Pictures - About time your brought it home!

Very nice looking Busa you have there. I give you credit for sticking around, after all the comments that have been made about some of your silly/ stupid remarks. Anyhow, stay safe, and enjoy the new bike. Maybe some of the advice given to you will make sense to you in the future - or maybe not, what ever the case, I hope you have learned a thing or two from the members here thus far. It is obviously up to you to gear up or not, however luck only lasts so long...sometimes it lasts 20+ years, other times it lasts only 20 minutes. I hope you never have any type of accident, and welcome again to the forum.

Oh, did I mention your about the most stubborn, thick headed member I've seen on this forum
biggrin.gif
Thank goodness your not selling used cars, or amway....are you
rock.gif
laugh.gif

I'm not bringing you down because of the way you ride but if you wanna cuss me out and take shots at me because i'm military then i will gladly not make comments about, for, against or to you again.  I'm simply trying to help the other get you to understand that YOUR ON A MOTORCYCLE and IF YOU GO DOWN with shorts and a t-shirt YOU WILL PAY.  I dont care if your going around the block or around town.  An accident is just that, an accident.  Take that story about the Steelers QB, wears a helmet for a living but doesnt on a motorcycle because the law says he doesnt need to. In broad daylight has a car pull out in front of him and he hits it.  Concusion, broken upper and lower jaw, lost 2 teeth cracked several others and lots of cuts and bruises.  NO HELMET!  Its your life and skin...  To think i do what i do for a living to hear you come on here and tell me "my enlisted mentality" UP YOURS PAL!! And lastly it isnt my ENLISTED mentality that brings me here to tell you this... ITS COMMON SENSE!

<!--EDIT|TSgt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151424748 -->

I'm not bringing you down because of the way you ride but if you wanna cuss me out and take shots at me because i'm military then i will gladly not make comments about, for, against or to you again. I'm simply trying to help the other get you to understand that YOUR ON A MOTORCYCLE and IF YOU GO DOWN with shorts and a t-shirt YOU WILL PAY. I dont care if your going around the block or around town. An accident is just that, an accident. Take that story about the Steelers QB, wears a helmet for a living but doesnt on a motorcycle because the law says he doesnt need to. In broad daylight has a car pull out in front of him and he hits it. Concusion, broken upper and lower jaw, lost 2 teeth cracked several others and lots of cuts and bruises. NO HELMET! Its your life and skin... To think i do what i do for a living to hear you come on here and tell me "my enlisted mentality" UP YOURS PAL!! And lastly it isnt my ENLISTED mentality that brings me here to tell you this... ITS COMMON SENSE!
I never took a shot at you because you're in the military! Where did you get that from? I "cussed" because you commented how you thought I hadn't ridden a bike before getting my busa. I was also in the military (got out last year), so why would I make a negative statement about it? When I say "elitist" mentality, I mean guys who think you need to be a professinal rider to own a busa (something like that). I can ride quite well. It's just been 6 years since I last owned a bike. My riding skills are coming back to me now on the busa.

I know... everyone knows... it will hurt even more if you crash in street clothes. It's been pounded into the ground! We all get it!

drink.gif

When I was in the Army I hated guys who thought that civilians owed us something. They don't. We chose to serve. We got/get paid to do the job. If we veterans deserve anything, it's just simple respect. That's all.

Gotta hand it to ya ........you can really get people wound up around here . Keep it up and they might even make you a Super Administrator !
laugh.gif

He got me wound up as well - But I think he is strong about what he wants of himself. He makes a decision and sticks with it regardless.

In some professions - this is a liability.

But in other professions - I think it is an asset...

Ride on - ride safe. I hope you will come to learn the importance of basic gear like jacket/gloves and knee armor. I dont wish that you will learn all this by having an accident.

Cheers!
cool.gif

Pandemic:

First off: NICE RIDE!!! looks good and I'm glad the Busa made a huge impression on ya.

second: It IS YOUR CHOICE if you wanna wear gear or not. I've been down on the track from 130+mph lowsides and have walked away without a scratch b/c of gear.

Last year, My wife and I got into an accident (high side) b/c of a negligent driver who failed to look both directions before bolting across the roadway. We both wore gear, had no road rash but still suffered from a couple fractures here and there (mainly hip and pelvic regions. damn that gas tank...). EMT's said they've been to MANY accidents just like mine but the results were usually fatal. They told my wife and I,"Money well spent. But the price on life is PRICELESS." We live today to talk about it.

I wont preach to you about it bro. I just wanted to tell you that I'M LIVING PROOF THAT GEAR SAVES LIVES (and skin as well). I guess a little testimony if you will.

You don't have to wear full leathers b/c you've made it clear that you use it for transportation only. But do a little "shopping around" and you may find other protective gear such as textile, abrasions resistant jeans (ICON SELLS SOME GOOD STUFF!!!) etc..

be sure to check http://www.rideicon.com

they have some good safety stuff that's not so "ricky racer leather I'm gonna race MotoGP" type stuff. The stunter crowd really like the clothing and it looks like "EVERYDAY CLOTHES."

Whatever you do, good luck, be careful but most of all, enjoy the Busa!! She'll give you many years of happiness as long as you do it right.

Peace!!

Thanks. I might look into that later tonight.

And that is what I mean... I don't want to go around town looking like a racer haha! Or be burning hot in f&$kin' leathers just to go buy some beer!

Take it easy

Back