Finally happened to me...

OB_JokerJ

Registered
To each his own. Grinding the side stand would be a acceptable option to me if I hadn't got the center stand. I've had the bike for 3000 miles just using the side stand and had no problems, following the same procedure that Nuts uses. There's just a few more options I have with the center stand that makes life easier.

But as I said before, to each his own

Leaving a friends house. Fired up the bike, turned around to get my helmet, looked back, and over she went. Rolled off the sidestand and fell right into my friends '00 Bandit 600. Got a hand on it but coudn't stop it. Left mirror is scratched, nice FU#$ING dent in my tank where it hit the Bandit's engine case, front fairing is crooked. ARRRGH! To dark to see what else, but happily the lowers were off at the time. Bandit didn't fall over, but picked up some scratches, bet we find more tomorrow.

Time to do the stand mod...

I apologize to those who have heard this over and over, but for those of you who are new to this bike you'd better perk up your eyes and put a fresh floppy in your head so you'll remember this.

THE BUSA WILL FALL OFF OF THE SIDE STAND.

It is a design flaw. There are several fixes for this, the most notable being:

1) what nuts said
2) a center stand
3) shermworks or similar mod
4) who cares, it's only plastic

I took Johnny Cheese's advice and got the center stand. Considering I have a '00. I believe I can hit the max. speed without concern about the stand. And it so much easier to clean up the bike with it. Anywhere I need to.

JokerJ's right... I have the centre stand too.

Makes the bike easy to clean, change oil and work on. Does not add too much extra weight and has not changed my ground clearance where I have noticed....

When I ride with buddies, they all love the idea of a stand, they just wish thier bikes would fit one.

The added bonus of walking away from your bike without worrying how stable the ground may be is great.

Just pull it up and back and that is it.

Gee, lets add another 5+ pounds to the bike because I am too lazy to take 5 minutes and a hand grinder to the side stand.

The center stand is like putting a battleship anchor on a race boat.

It literally takes 2 minutes with a hand grinder to completely fix this problem.

Sorry,I must have missed the earlier discusions about the stand,would somebody please tell me what is wrong with the side stand and how do you fix the problem.

Mbuehler sorry for the bike. I hope that it is not as bad as you think....

Stand looks great! 1 lost 35 lbs of weight off my fat aszs, so the way i look at it i am still ahead by 30.
Any pics with it up?
I am really concerned about the look when its up. does it look like a boat anchor or what? :)

Is it an actual problem with the busa's stand or is it just like any other bike and you have to just be careful and make sure the stand is all the way down and on solid ground?

It seems to me that the frame-bar where you'd lift the bike onto the centerstand isn't separate enough from the fairing.

i.e., lifiting on the bar, you're gonna be pulling on the rear-fairing-deck.

No?

bike running
1st gear
clutch in
stand down
engine stops
roll forward
engine holds chain taught
set her down
bars full left
get off bike
no more falling off side stand

start like this, and it becomes 2nd nature
no falling, no tipping, no scratching, no extra revenue to Suzuki for plastic and engine covers and clutch levers and indicator lenses. No cursing yourself when it happens, no shouting at NumbNuts because he's preaching and it happened to you......

Just one, nice, happy rider, and one nice, safe, happy bike.

(I have centre stand as well, but purely for ease of maintenance)

Ithankyou

Nuts ;)

I'm with NumbNuts on this one.

But as an added precaution, take a hand grinder to the area of the stand where the stop hits and grind it down about 1/8". This will shift the stand position about 3/4" forward from the original position. End of problem.

You could also add Sherm's side stand mod as well.

Dewey, this is a problem with the 'Busa sidestand (the Ducati one is even worse!!).

I agree with numbnuts,I've seen more bikes fall of a center stand then side.

Here cames a pedesterian,loves a bike,
plays with the bike and leans a little too much and here goes your bike from the center stand and believe me it happened....

Best way is to put it in gear and lock.

You guys must have different stands than the one on my BUSA. Set the Busa on level ground and look at the angle of the stand.Just use common sense,DUH....

I've been doing what Numb Nuts described for over half a year. When the bike fell, it was in neutral, idleing, pointed slightly up hill. I can't figure out how it managed to fall over, but I'm not waiting for it to happen again. Time to grind the stand!

ALL OF YOU KEEP IN MIND IF YOU LOWER IT YOU GOTTA GRIND IT MORE!!!

Last time I was at the dyno, we got done, guy rolls her out on the lot(level pavement, bike off), and I heard that sick metal on pavement sound---saved her! He didnt put it in gear.
All 3 guys at this bike shop looked at me like WTF? I told em it was the design and they were like, SHEESH! Suzuki needs to fix THAT!

Back