Another Side Stand fix?

OB_highpwr

Registered
I just finished reading falcon fool's thread re: his complaint on the side stand problems on the Busa. What follows is an untested idea.

It seems that if the side stand could be adjusted to swing through a wider arc it would end up being more forward when fully extended. This would make it less likely for the bike to roll off the stand. Using a file to remove a small amount of metal from the side stand where it contacts the two stop pins would allow it to swing further forward. Rough calculations indicate that removing about .075 inch (about 2mm) where the side stand contacts the stop pins would allow the pavement end of the side stand to move forward 1 inch.

All comments on this theory are welcome. If this idea works, this could be an easy way to improve the side stand.

Larry

see "the pocket sized rear wheel stand" at
http://quickstand.home.netcom.com/new.htm

Actually I had thought of the same thing, but was concerned that a mod like this may weaken the stand. I doubt that it would. Will the spring still work if the stand is moved forward?

Removing that little bit of metal should not be a big deal. I would start by removing metal from the stand; a little bit at at time. I think the spring should still work as long as you don't get too carried away.

OK, which one of you with the dremel tool wants to be the test case?

Larry

see "the pocket sized rear wheel stand" at
http://quickstand.home.netcom.com/new.htm

I also gave that a thought, but I was worried about lean angle, it already hangs over there pretty far stock, forward also mean over more. Just don't go too far..I thought some type of spring loaded latch that would lock the stand forward and release easily by foot would be best, but require welding. But then after I started using the "First gear roll forward, then set down" technique I no longer had problems.

That's exactly what I did.

Also did it on the other end as I still remember from the official Busa launch that some of the boyracers were able to have the sidestand touchdown on the track (in the UP position) during some very serious left corners.

I simply filed away a little from the stand itself in the area where it's against the stop in the down position and filed away a little of the stop for the up position.

Haven't yet used the sidestand after this as I'm still not finished with the load of small mods I'm doing to mine and I've had it on the OEM centerstand the last 3 months (maybe even more already, tsjeeeeezzz what have I started).

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 16 March 2000).]

Larry, Animal, very good points. As a result of your comments I propped my H up and did some static measuremants to determine theoretical lean angles. Here is what I came up with: This the the angle the bike makes with the ground when the part touches down:
stock stand - 37.6 deg
modified stand - 41.0 deg (hits first)
footpeg feeler (left side) - 38.9 deg
left muffler - 38.4 deg

(these numbers are just for comparison, actual touch down angles will probaly be different on the road.)

I then modified one of my mod kit plates by grinding the front outside corner off at an angle so that the plate will touch down at the same angle as the stock stand.

Next I tried the trimmed plate on the bike to see if it would work as well as the original plate. It worked just as well.

So all future kits will have the trimmed plate. Those of you who have the kits already can grind the corner down if you think its necessary. (I'll get a sketch of the trimmed plate up on my web site soon.) The kit is pretty simple. A lot of you could probably make it yourself.

By the way Larry, the stop stand stop is about 0.2" thick. Not a lot of metal to play with.

That's good work Sherm, I was thinking this could easily be fixed on your plate without actually reducing its usefulness against the dreaded roll-forward that many Busa owners seem to have encountered, but reacting like you did is more than I was expecting and my hat goes off to you!

Guess you used appr. a 45 degree angle?

As I see it the problem with the sidestand is it offers no resistance to retraction when there is a forward force on the bike. The way the sidestand pad is designed the leading edge of the pad acts as a fulcrum for rotation of the sidestand toward retraction.

My mod affectively extends the pads leading edge a 1/2" so that the fulcrum affect is reduced. It works quite well.

This is a healthy discussion. All new H owners should know that the greatest threat to their baby's health and beauty is that sidestand.

On the other hand, the real hard-core riders (or those wanting to pass for that) would argue that the mod by extension in that area is just the place where in the UP position it *IS* possible to drag the sidestand in left corners and Suzuki couldn't place it more "inside" because of the stock left muffler also needing some room there.

I've been behind good riders on big street bikes and watched them drag the frame/exhaust/stand etc. At that point you are pretty close to loosing tire traction as the bike's weight shifts to the frame/pavement contact point. I agree that most riders normally will not ride like this on the street but it's nice to be able to have that extra margin for those "OH SH*T" situations. Like when you find youself in an unforseen decreasing radius corner and you're drifting toward the edge of the pavement. Being able to lean/turn the bike a little more without dragging any thing could be real important.

Larry S.

Sherm you are the original king of the low buck mod and here you are in constant developement, you da MaN!!!!!!!!

Sherm, Ducmanic should start a page for your products as well as Larry's wheel lift.

Back