Few pics from work

BigBadDodge

Registered
Thought i'd share some pics of a cool project i got to work on. I was recommended to weld this up since a. i'm 1 of 2 actual aws certified welders in the shop and b. i was dumb enough to say ok:whistle:
This is on a new 550 ton accupress our fab dept. got, this replaced a old 750 ton press that had been in our shop since 77. and prior to that spent some time at the original facility in washington. Figure this is somewhat leaving my legacy as this should be in the ground longer than i'm around. Future people may not know who welded it, but they'll know im a bad a$$ according to the equipment installer :laugh:

Feet on the front came in wrong so they got these adapter plates to go in between the factory foot and mounting pad, these had a 3/4" bevel cut into the side(after pic) For size thats a 2x4 its propped up on
550.jpg

Plate welded to machine, 5 pass from the machine to plate and another 5 between the foot and plate
5504.jpg

other side
5508.jpg

Heres the rear feet welded to the footing plate which is welded to plates in the ground, to give you an idea of the size the white foot is 18"x18" and the big plate thats welded to is 24"x48"x2" the bolt shank is 1.25" all these were done with a 1/2" bevel between plates and 3 passes
5501.jpg

5502.jpg

5503.jpg

5505.jpg

5507.jpg

5506.jpg

These were done with a 500amp hobart power source and 100% duty cycle feeder running just about all she had, the rears ran me about 1.5hrs each and the fronts were a little over 2hrs each of basically non stop, hood down running. I made it 4hrs yesterday of being down on my hands and knees and in all sorts of odd positions before i decided to ax it and finish this morning . I'll try to remember to take a pic of the machine from the front tomorrow its massive, about 16ft above ground and the lower blade goes into the concrete about 6ft.

They couldnt tell me what it weighed assembled, but the sucker holds 220gals of hydraulic fluid. Came in in 5 pieces. I'll see if i can get pics of the cat forklifts that were moving the pieces, looked something like a peterbuilt with a fork lift setup on em:laugh:

It is cool that you were the guy they picked and the one to do the job...if you don't try something new once and awhile your selling yourself short

It is cool that you were the guy they picked and the one to do the job...if you don't try something new once and awhile your selling yourself short

Yea i used to do real thick steel like this all the time, at this shop most we see is generally 1/2", but i do more aluminum than anything now adays, was nice to prove to myself i could still hack it in the heavy steel game:whistle:

that really took 500amps? ive seen some of your other welding on here, seems like that would be more of a PIA than a challenge.

that really took 500amps? ive seen some of your other welding on here, seems like that would be more of a PIA than a challenge.

Not sure what it took but i had the voltage damn near at the top and my wire was maxed, she was hot thats for sure. Wasnt really a challenge, actually really easy work just something different and time consuming. Doing production work all day gets boring as all get out so being able to play with other stuff :thumbsup:

That should hold it. Hmm, front feet came in wrong? The machine was special made to someones specifications?...Well at least it wasn`t like a missed conversion on a multi-million dollar sattelite launch (or was that a Mars expedition rover?):laugh:

I deal with this type modification from time to time; field modification # 497.276.31 :laugh:

Thats a lot of welding. I could have done it 2 passes each and been done in 1 hour. J/K, those are so clean looking welds

That should hold it. Hmm, front feet came in wrong? The machine was special made to someones specifications?...Well at least it wasn`t like a missed conversion on a multi-million dollar sattelite launch (or was that a Mars expedition rover?):laugh:

I deal with this type modification from time to time; field modification # 497.276.31 :laugh:

Apparently they changed the specs on there the front legs sat before the machine was ordered because of how the hole in the ground was from our old machine, for whatever reason rather than getting them moved during production they never got done. options were either air-arc the feet off and reposition 12" back, or run with this adapter setup and leave the feet intact.

Back