Felt the clutch slip a little today!

Chango

Registered
I'm a really laid back rider I almost never try to launch my bike. However on the open road I do like to wind her out! Well today while leaving the light I feathered the clutch a little and took off a little harder then normal. Right away I felt a little clutch slippage. I also wanted to add I'm a big guy 320lbs. So right away I'm thinking I might need to get ready to get a clutch job done on it. I would like to get a clutch kit that will perform but I'm in no way ever going to race or launch this bike on a regular basis.

I was talking to a friend and he said that in most cases all I would need to to do is get new friction and I could salvage the springs and metal. He has a Gixxer 1000 2009 and he just got his clutch done at the end of the riding season last year. He is hell on his bike and rides hard. So far his clutch seems fine. What do you guys think? Also any suggestions on brands etc... Thanks in advance.

I just got the bike last year. The person I got it off of road really conservative also and kept all records. I didn't see anything for the clutch in his records. So I'm going to assume 18000 Miles. Also I was looking at the barnett clutch however I used to have a ZX 12 and those folks that had the 12's did not like barnett. I'm the first to admit I'm learning and I'm very green to getting to know the Hayabusa.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.

Put some seafoam in it and ride a tank or 2 of gas through it.
Spark plugs been changed lately?

just did the plugs and oil. I use mobil 1 full sythetic just changed it as well. I do all fluids and plugs after winter.

I did not like how my bike acted with synthetic oil.
is this the 1st time it has had synthetic oil in it?

you may want to check your oil levels good. and if that doesn't work try changing the oil again and bleeding the clutch line.

i'd try that before I took the clutch apart.

Just curious, do you leave a finger across the lever?

Reason I ask is I found a few years ago since I leave a couple fingers on the lever sometimes under hard acceleration or turning my left hand might tend to put a little pressure on the clutch lever and slip it a bit.
I had to modify my riding style to make sure my fingers are not making the clutch slip.

Probably not what's happening in your case, but just want to put it out there.

I was talking to a friend and he said that in most cases all I would need to to do is get new friction and I could salvage the springs and metal. He has a Gixxer 1000 2009 and he just got his clutch done at the end of the riding season last year. He is hell on his bike and rides hard. So far his clutch seems fine. What do you guys think? Also any suggestions on brands etc... Thanks in advance.

I disagree with your friend. These springs will lose a bit. Order about 6 of the thick steels and a set of springs before you pull it apart. Usually the fibers are good but the loss of pressure by both wear and springs add up. At this point (from your description) fresh springs and getting the stack height right has fixed most of the ones I have worked on.

Read this post for a bit more info https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/84698-clutch-help.html#post1506631

I did not like how my bike acted with synthetic oil.
is this the 1st time it has had synthetic oil in it?

you may want to check your oil levels good. and if that doesn't work try changing the oil again and bleeding the clutch line.

i'd try that before I took the clutch apart.

I agree with red1100. I use standard Dino oil and have never had a problem.
My Busa shifts very easy and everything else seems fine using standard oil.
The owners manual doesn't ask you to use synthetic but I know a lot of people think it is better.
If I was racing it or it was a track only bike then I could see using synthetic but for street riding it is over kill.
Just like using higher than 87 octane gas is not needed in the Gen I's normally.

But it is your bike and you can do what you want.

A friend of mine had the ZX12 and always used synthetic oil but that was because it was hard to shift without it.
You don't have a ZX12, you have a Busa - they shift easy without synthetic.

Have you ever thought that the synthetic MIGHT be TOO SLIPPERY and that MIGHT have caused some slipping?
Even if the previous owner used synthetic (maybe he never took off as fast as you) you might want to try Regular 5W-30.
It won't hurt the bike and MAY fix your problem.

If not, THEN you have the option of opening it up and getting your hands dirty. :laugh:

Again - do what you want. We are only giving you suggestions.
Let us know what you decide - and what the results are.

Sorry I should have said 10W-40 oil is what is called for in the manual and what I use.

Must have got it mixed up in my head because both of my 4 wheel vehicles use 5W-30.

10W-40 for the Busa.

i would loose the synthetic and use regular oil....i had that problem on my gen 1 as well

Back