Feels like I need new rear bearings

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Well...I changed my first rear tire by myself the other night with my new HANDY DANDY No-Mar Tire Changer :thumbsup:

BUT...when I spun the bearings with my fingers, while the sprocket bearing was smooth as butter, the two bearings in the wheel were not. Not bad, but you could feel something grabbing, so I guess I'm gonna go ahead and put in a new bearing set just to be safe.

Sidebar: The tire changer takes some technique that I'm going to have to get used to. I changed a front on my gixxer (needed ZERO balancing), and the rear on my Busa (the chromed rim is WAAAY out of balance; it took 11 weights to get it in balance)....

So its pretty easy to use? How much was it if you don't mind? Just paid $50 to have my front and rear tires mounted and balanced.

Go to nomartirechanger.com for the options. I got the Jr. Pro ultimate includes balancer.

If I can use it, anyone can. I have to stop, watch the video for a little while, then do it again. It would not be worth it if I were just changing street tires, but when I'm going thru an entire set on a track weekend, I think it will pay for itself in a season. Oh, and I am going to put my race takeoffs on my busa because the centers still have meat on them and save even more.

BUT...when I spun the bearings with my fingers, while the sprocket bearing was smooth as butter, the two bearings in the wheel were not. Not bad, but you could feel something grabbing, so I guess I'm gonna go ahead and put in a new bearing set just to be safe.

Change 'em. Mine went on the front of the '00 at about 65K. When we took the bearing out, it fell apart into little pieces. They are easy to get out, but hard to get in. Took mine to a shop and he gently put them in by tapping them in. Charged me a couple bucks. Not something I wanted to mess up.

And I was riding home on that from a 1000 mile weekend. ???

Just an FYI here, if the wheel needs that much weight, break the bead on the tire, and rotate it 180 degrees, then re balance!
Well...I changed my first rear tire by myself the other night with my new HANDY DANDY No-Mar Tire Changer :thumbsup:

Sidebar: The tire changer takes some technique that I'm going to have to get used to. I changed a front on my gixxer (needed ZERO balancing), and the rear on my Busa (the chromed rim is WAAAY out of balance; it took 11 weights to get it in balance)....

That's the only thing I'm worried about every time I think about powder coating my wheels white. I am a little intimidated.

As for the NO MAR changer. I LOVE mine. I just got the basic one and added the "yellow thing" which actually came in a light grey color.

ThaONE: I've only got about 15K on my bike, Have fun at Putnam (Jealous!). Come back to Barber in SEP there are a BUNCH of ppl coming!

Ok, so here's the good news. I took the wheel up to America's Motorsports in Goodlettsville (for you TN people); they had a full bearing set on hand, so I was going to let them change them. When I got there, the tech spun them himself and said "If it was me, these don't need to be changed" the other tech agreed. He showed me that the center pipe between the bearing in the wheel was interfering with the smooth function, and THAT was what I was feeling. I am very appreciative of the tech being honest about whether or not something had to be done. So I'm going to put it off and MONITOR. This tire will have to be changed fairly quickly so I'll have a chance to monitor.

GixxerHP: This is a chrome rim. I suspect strongly that the chome process is what's put the wheel off so bad (it's been balanced before with that kind of weights on it). What Nomar suggests is to put the wheel on the balancer BY ITSELF, and find the 'True' light spot, and from then on put the dot on the tire aligned with the true light spot vs. the stem. Next time I change this tire I'm going to find the "TRUE" light spot with both the front and back chromed rims. My tire thing is light grey also.

Tim: I don't nearly have enough miles that I should be having bearing problems, but these chromed rims may be causing problems.

I changed my bearings at 55K, and only because I knew that 100K was in my future. The old ones were really in better shape that I would have thought, even with frequent riding in the rain.

15K seems way too soon for a failure. Glad you got an honest Joe to help. :thumbsup:

I've paid for my cheap harbor freight tire changer many times over. Carrying my wheel and tire to locals runs me $50.

The service agent seemed plenty fine with changing them for me if I wanted; I just hope there's no backlash against the tech who advised against it. Because of his honesty I'll give them more of my business.

ThaONE: I've only got about 15K on my bike, Have fun at Putnam (Jealous!). Come back to Barber in SEP there are a BUNCH of ppl coming!

Ok, so here's the good news. I took the wheel up to America's Motorsports in Goodlettsville (for you TN people); they had a full bearing set on hand, so I was going to let them change them. When I got there, the tech spun them himself and said "If it was me, these don't need to be changed" the other tech agreed. He showed me that the center pipe between the bearing in the wheel was interfering with the smooth function, and THAT was what I was feeling. I am very appreciative of the tech being honest about whether or not something had to be done. So I'm going to put it off and MONITOR. This tire will have to be changed fairly quickly so I'll have a chance to monitor.

GixxerHP: This is a chrome rim. I suspect strongly that the chome process is what's put the wheel off so bad (it's been balanced before with that kind of weights on it). What Nomar suggests is to put the wheel on the balancer BY ITSELF, and find the 'True' light spot, and from then on put the dot on the tire aligned with the true light spot vs. the stem. Next time I change this tire I'm going to find the "TRUE" light spot with both the front and back chromed rims. My tire thing is light grey also.

Tim: I don't nearly have enough miles that I should be having bearing problems, but these chromed rims may be causing problems.
My Carbon wheels are like this also, so balanced just the rim, to find the bad area, cause it will change, with different tires!

Glad everything worked out ok for u. I am planning on getting back to Barber in Sept. I can't wait!!!!!:thumbsup:

Back