faulty batch of Tokico 6-piston-calipers in 04/05 we suppose

My 2008 GSXR 1000 had the recall for the front brakes, where they worked on the master cylinder.

My experience was that the break was spongy if I didn't have new pads in it. Once the pads got to about half-life the lever always felt like it had a little bit of air in it.

Wants recall was done, all was well.

which brake calipers are you writing about?
and what (brake-)recall ? at the busa in europe i never heard of a recall - neither gen1 nor gen2 - only at gen3

6-piston axial like the busa '99-'07
or
4-piston radial like on the busa from '08??

with the 6-piston caliper, a deep cleaning would definitely be urgently required,
because
the rubber seals on/around the pistons hold them so tightly that after braking, the seals pull them back just a little too far, so that the brake pads close a little stand far away from the brake disc,
which then manifests itself in the fact that the travel of the lever on the master becomes very large,
which can sometimes also be described as spongy.

at least I only know this effect from the busa gen1 caliper,
but not from the gen2 radials.

the only thing I noticed about the Gen2 radials is the fact is that the gold ones from Brembo (´13-end) provide significantly better braking performance than the black ones from Tokico.

and dude
here i´m writing about busa calipers - NOT about others like the gsx-r 1000 or so,
or does the gsx-r has/had the same 6-piston-calipers like the gen1 ??????

which brake calipers are you writing about?
and what (brake-)recall ? at the busa in europe i never heard of a recall - neither gen1 nor gen2 - only at gen3

6-piston axial like the busa '99-'07
or
4-piston radial like on the busa from '08??

with the 6-piston caliper, a deep cleaning would definitely be urgently required,
because
the rubber seals on/around the pistons hold them so tightly that after braking, the seals pull them back just a little too far, so that the brake pads close a little stand far away from the brake disc,
which then manifests itself in the fact that the travel of the lever on the master becomes very large,
which can sometimes also be described as spongy.

at least I only know this effect from the busa gen1 caliper,
but not from the gen2 radials.

the only thing I noticed about the Gen2 radials is the fact is that the gold ones from Brembo (´13-end) provide significantly better braking performance than the black ones from Tokico.

and dude
here i´m writing about busa calipers - NOT about others like the gsx-r 1000 or so,
or does the gsx-r has/had the same 6-piston-calipers like the gen1 ??????

No, all gens of Gsxr1000 are all 4 piston radial calipers, and there are several different ones.
2003-2004 Gsx1k are gen2, and basically the same bike.
Both have 4 piston front calipers, but the '03 uses 4 pads per caliper, vs the '04 with 2 pads per caliper.
I also put stainless steel lines on the 2018 Gsxr1k abs(gen7, 2017-2023), and Ebc HH Extreme Pro pads, and the braking is incredible.
It has stock Brembo calipers.

hey dudes

a buddy and me found out only some days ago what fault Tokico made in the fabrication at some caliper batches in 04/05 we suppose .

see and read my homepage here

and if so. has issues with his (spongy or so) frontbrake , he should check his calipers

best greets
from across the pond - :lol:

hey folks

u registrate(d) :crazy: :shocked:
that i wrote only about the tokico axial 6-piston-calipers,
mounted at all gen1 busa and at some other suziki´s front too

BUT NOT about radials

so please don´t mix the two technologies - and stay with my post and its deeper sence !

because as a busa driver, why do I care what Suzuki has repaired on a GSX-R 1000 at some point - as a recall?

ok ok the gen3 had a recall to the brake master - but that has as much to do with the error I described as a screwdriver with a toothpick. :banghead:

so please don't spam a post full of irrelevant things - it doesn't help anyone -
rather, it confuses much more, especially for beginners without much experience. :crazy:

THANKS ! :bowdown:

ps:
and if anyone has a (nearly) similar problem,
he/she please should write his own post about that .
thx again :bowdown:

@Kiwi Rider

man? you laugh about driver vs toothpicker . nor do i.
it is the same as if u try "to make a cow laughing"

better u go to bed - it is late at u in NZ and the night isn´t that long if u have to get up at 6 am

best wishes
from far far away (18000 kms) across the pond :lol:

hey folks

BUT NOT about radials

so please don´t mix the two technologies - and stay with my post and its deeper sence !

because as a busa driver, why do I care what Suzuki has repaired on a GSX-R 1000 at some point - as a recall?

ok ok the gen3 had a recall to the brake master - but that has as much to do with the error I described as a screwdriver with a toothpick. :banghead:

so please don't spam a post full of irrelevant things - it doesn't help anyone -
rather, it confuses much more, especially for beginners without much experience. :crazy:

ps:
I have just fixed a similar problem with my 99 Busa, my front brake lever was coming half way to the handlebar before any pressure felt.
Now a couple years ago I fitted a GSXR1000K7 radial master cylinder to my bike, it was a RECALLED m/cyl and I’d replaced it at my workplace (Suzuki dealership) with the factory replacement item from the recall campaign.
I took it home to save it from the scrap metal bin.
Anyway, when I fitted it the brake ‘feel’ and lever travel was not as good as the bike it came from…. but adequate for my needs ( I seldom use brakes lol)
So about a year ago I fitted new rotors and new EBC HH sintered pads, still no improvement in lever feel and travel.
But today I removed and stripped the ol’ six piston Tokicos and found a few of the pistons semi seized.
I ultra sonic cleaned all components and scraped out the seal recesses, refitted same old seals, lubed pistons and they slid into the bores just nicely!
Reassembled to bike and bled the system (Hel braided hoses, race lines x 2, one for each caliper) and wow! Major improvement!!
I test rode the bike and it’s the best the brakes have ever been.. lever travel is minimal and initial bite is fantastic!
Now I have already done a caliper overhaul once before, but that was 5 years ago and 60, 000kms ridden, also had the stock m/cyl on back then.
But now with the radial m/cyl it’s night and day different.
So there ya go Frank, I mixed in a GSXR part with Busa parts lol

I have just fixed a similar problem with my 99 Busa, my front brake lever was coming half way to the handlebar before any pressure felt.
Now a couple years ago I fitted a GSXR1000K7 radial master cylinder to my bike, it was a RECALLED m/cyl and I’d replaced it at my workplace (Suzuki dealership) with the factory replacement item from the recall campaign.
I took it home to save it from the scrap metal bin.
Anyway, when I fitted it the brake ‘feel’ and lever travel was not as good as the bike it came from…. but adequate for my needs ( I seldom use brakes lol)
So about a year ago I fitted new rotors and new EBC HH sintered pads, still no improvement in lever feel and travel.
But today I removed and stripped the ol’ six piston Tokicos and found a few of the pistons semi seized.
I ultra sonic cleaned all components and scraped out the seal recesses, refitted same old seals, lubed pistons and they slid into the bores just nicely!
Reassembled to bike and bled the system (Hel braided hoses, race lines x 2, one for each caliper) and wow! Major improvement!!
I test rode the bike and it’s the best the brakes have ever been.. lever travel is minimal and initial bite is fantastic!
Now I have already done a caliper overhaul once before, but that was 5 years ago and 60, 000kms ridden, also had the stock m/cyl on back then.
But now with the radial m/cyl it’s night and day different.
So there ya go Frank, I mixed in a GSXR part with Busa parts lol

hi gregg

what i literally always preach

clean deep the 6-piston calipers every 30-35000 kms (& look if they have 2 small rubber gaskets mounted)
(and add a 17mm radial master)
and u will reach a brake ability u never ever hoped for.

and a lill hint -
use the EBC organic pads - they never eat ur discs like half or full sintered
but they work like - my eperiances from dozends times .

Last edited:
hey folks

BUT NOT about radials

ps:

Because You asked about the Gsxr1000's...so I answered you.
Sounds like you clogged up your own thread to me...

hey dudes

a buddy and me found out only some days ago what fault Tokico made in the fabrication at some caliper batches in 04/05 we suppose .

see and read my homepage here

and if so. has issues with his (spongy or so) frontbrake , he should check his calipers

best greets
from across the pond - :lol:
Wow! That is a bit of a shock to me, my calipers have no issue as in your example pic I just saw on your homepage link, but I wonder how on earth these faulty calipers got past the Tokico factory's quality control??
This is a very serious error and I'm amazed I've not heard of this before . . they obviously kept it very well obscured.
So the '6 piston Tokico' effectively became a 4.5 piston Tokico.
(the small lower piston has a fluid port between the middle piston bore and the lower smaller piston bore allowing some pressure, but not as much as needed, to be transferred to the small piston)
Thanks for that info Frank, if I ever come across a braking issue in a Busa or any other bike with the 6 piston Tokicos I'll definitely check for the missing port.

Back