Help, Poor Abused '04 GSXR600

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
Long story but it all leads to the problems that I want Ideas/Opinions on.

So my buddy has this Gsxr 600. It was in near percect shape minus a cracked and scraped up fairing when he bought it because he asked me I inspect it over before he bought it and ride it. He bought it about 5 months ago. So he comes to me about 2 weeks ago and says its not running. I go out Saturday and he brings it by my trailer and we start tinkering. He is getting an FI light. I get C23 on the dash so I throw a pair of resisters in the tip over sensor and problem solved, bike starts. Now the bike backfires like crazy and sputters. It ran like crap.

So we tinkered again today (well I did). I check all vaccum likes, and connectors to make sure everything is connected and nothing out of place. I then looked at his spark plugs.

Cylinders 1 and 2 had wet oil on them... Im guessing because it was dark liquid unburnt. Cylinders 3 and 4 were black. Not sure if burnt oil or just from being so rich? The spark plugs were VERY lose when i took them off. Didnt take anything at all to get them loose. I tightened them back up myself, Bike starts and runs much much better. Now we have white smoke out the exhaust... The smoke went away some but we are still getting white smoke and some smoke off the headers. Not sure if its the paint on the headers he put on or what... But im thinking its not the paint anymore.

My worse fear is he has a crack and oil is getting in... When i tightened the spark plugs like i said the bike runs a lot better so maybe it wasnt firing on all cylinders? Im going to pull the spark plugs later this week to look and Ill take pics. The spark plugs were changed by some guy he knows... Could loose spark plugs cause really bad problems?

Me --> :duh:

My buddy --> :stoopid:
:laugh:

I dont know a whole lot but in the little I know, I have found a lot of problems...

He shoved the bike over drunk one night which caused it not to stark (bad clutch sensor and tip over sensor). He tore the bike apart drunk trying to fix it and Im afraid he has #$%@ed it up real bad...

Ok let the ideas fly so I know what to do/look out for. Im trying to save him from taking it to a mechanic but we are pretty much stuck at a point beyond my abilities.

Ok let the ideas fly so I know what to do/look out for. Im trying to save him from taking it to a mechanic but we are pretty much stuck at a point beyond my abilities.

Lookout your bud never gets near your bike drunk :laugh:

Sounds like he doesn't need a bike. If he keeps tearing it up while he is drunk then he needs to take it to a mechanic and maybe that will sober him up.

oil in the cylinders is probably valve seals

But let me have a few drinks and I'm sure I'll have it all sorted out in no time

How long was it on it's side, and has it not run since? If so, oil will run past the rings if left on it's side long enough. If it was on it's left it would explain oil in #1 and 2 cylinders. The loose plugs would make it run poorly as well, missing and causing fuel buildup, black plugs.
Could very well be an abused worn engine(and likely is)but the above mentioned is a possible long shot.

How long was it on it's side, and has it not run since? If so, oil will run past the rings if left on it's side long enough. If it was on it's left it would explain oil in #1 and 2 cylinders. The loose plugs would make it run poorly as well, missing and causing fuel buildup, black plugs.
Could very well be an abused worn engine(and likely is)but the above mentioned is a possible long shot.

Ok I will ask how long it was on its side. The oil will just burn out right?

The RPM kind of fluctuates sometimes. I guess we will give it some riding time and see where he is at.

Yes the bike is ill treated and Im trying to instill some good habits for him :laugh:

Ok I will ask how long it was on its side. The oil will just burn out right?

The RPM kind of fluctuates sometimes. I guess we will give it some riding time and see where he is at.

Yes the bike is ill treated and Im trying to instill some good habits for him :laugh:

Assuming the plugs are clean, and there isn't oil still leaking into the cylinders, then yes it will burn out pretty fast.
Most 600's live hard lives, especially considering it's age. Unfortunately you most likely have a bigger problem, but anything's possible.

i think its a total waste of time to mess with... but i'll give him a hunnert dollars for it just to help towards a new bike.... see how thoughtfull i am??:whistle:

Back