Fans won't turn on.

FYI, the Gen 2 has only one sensor that controls fans and gauge. Not a separate sensor for both like the Gen 1 bikes. Gen 1 bikes has a Temp Sending unit on the engine, and a Fan Switch on the Radiator. So, if the gauge is working then the sensor is working (in theory), however it may not be sensing properly. I recently ran into this issue with a 2013 bike. I have not found a fix for it. I was hoping to have someone hook up to the ECM and check the parameters inside of the ECM.
I bled the system coolant system several times. The fans work. The fan relay receives its ground from the ECM, when I ground that wire, fans work. I believe the issue may be something to do with an ECM editor program in the past.

Okay, its the ECU.

I just swapped my buddies unmolested ecu from the same year busa and turned it on and let it run. Wouldn't you know it, the fans came right on at as they should once temps got up there.

Guess I'm calling my tuner tomorrow and talking to him about it. Thank you everyone that gave me help and advice. I suspected the ecu was to blame when I started this post, good to finally know what the problem was.

Okay, its the ECU.

I just swapped my buddies unmolested ecu from the same year busa and turned it on and let it run. Wouldn't you know it, the fans came right on at as they should once temps got up there.

Guess I'm calling my tuner tomorrow and talking to him about it. Thank you everyone that gave me help and advice. I suspected the ecu was to blame when I started this post, good to finally know what the problem was.

Who did your ECU mod?

My tune was done at Cycle Connection in Maryland. I just got back from there, its fixed and here's what Shawn said:

This isn't the first 2013 busa to have this problem. The 2013's have different ECU pins than 08-12. The program that he uses to tune bikes has constant updates, and will force you to download new updates before entering the program. Sort of like Xbox. Since I had my ECU tuned over a year ago that program has download several new "bin files" (i'm not sure what that means). Shawn thinks the original file for the fans was corrupted when he tuned it. That corrupted file has since been fixed and downloaded into his tuning program. He reinstalled that file on my computer, put the ECU onto another gen II bike sitting around the shop and took it for a test drive. Wa-la, the fans work.

I asked him why the fans would work all last summer and then all of a sudden stop working in the fall. He said that there are two modes in the ECU to turn the fans on. The normal way and an emergency way once the temps get beyond a set parameter. He said that my fans were probable turning on during the summer because the engine temps reached this second parameter and triggered the emergency setting. However, once the weather got colder my bike no longer got hot enough to trigger this emergency setting and since file for the main setting was corrupted the fans weren't getting a signal to turn on. Which sort of makes sense. I do want to add that at no time during the summer did my temperature gauge on the dash ever go above normal. The needle would go to its normal spot just below the halfway mark and stay there. It never rose "just a little" and then the fans turned on. Food for thought.

If there's parts of all that that don't make sense its probably because I forgot something or explained it wrong. When he explained everything to me it seemed to make sense. Anyway, there's the answer. Add it to the database and share it with the world. Now we know.

To everyone that offered help and advice, thank you.

-Steve

Back