Fans won't turn on.

DAYUIZ

Registered
2013 Busa, 5,700 miles. Full Acropovic with dyno tune.

I went for a short ride the other day everything was fine. When I got home I let the bike sit in the driveway and idle while I admired it. About 5 minutes later I go to put in the garage and notice the temp light is on and the gauge is almost maxed out. I turned the bike off and watched the overflow tank fill with coolant and even puke a little out.

I've replaced the fan relay with a brand new one. The fans still won't come on. I unplugged the fan motor and applied a 12v load and they come right on.

What should I look at next? Is this common? I mean I'm under 6,000 miles.

Thanks,
Steve

Very unusual. If it's under warranty take it in. Temp switch or fan circuit issue, cut wire, loose ground ( neg ), etc.

haven't had any issues w/ my 09, but had same problem with my 01. if they are anything alike, gen 1 has 3 relays to turn fans on, I had to replace them all. good luck n post up when u figure it out

If you can follow a wiring diagram, download one and find where you lose power or ground. On gen2's there are 2 fuses for the fans. The fans should have power to the all the time, the relay grounds the fans to turn them on. The load side of the relay should have power to it through the fans and the other terminal should be grounded. The control side of the relay should have one terminal with power to it and the other is grounded by the ECM to turn the relay on.

If you share your location often there is a knowledgeable member near that can help.

Thats good advice. I don't think its my relay since I just replaced it. The fuses area good. So it sounds like something in my ECM or just a loose wire or ground. :(

Where are you?

Take another ride and watch the temp gauge.
Usually they stay right in the middle - Yours did that before, right?

If that happens (stays in the middle) come back from the ride and sit on it and watch the temp gauge.
It should start to rise a little and then the fans should come on. Like if you were at a train crossing for 5 minutes.

Don't know if the outside air temp could have been low enough so that it didn't "think" the fans were needed.

My fans rarely come on - but my needle is usually in the center of the gauge.

Let us know the outcome.

Thats good advice. I don't think its my relay since I just replaced it. The fuses area good. So it sounds like something in my ECM or just a loose wire or ground. :(

The ecu isn't the problem.
The ecu settings can't change on their own.

I live about 45 south of DC. I'm not sure how long the factory warranty is. I remember something about it only being 12 months, but that's probably not right. I'd rather not take it to the dealer for what is probably an easy fix.

I've let the bike idle in my garage and get to its normal temp. The needle stays there for a few minutes and then it does rise. I agree, this is when the fans should kick on. They don't. The temp keeps rising and goes way over anything you'd see on a ride. At that point I shut it off. This is after checking both fuses and replacing the relay with a brand new one.

Have you ever messed with the coolant, if so you could have an air issue and need to burp it, if you haven't leave it alone. From memory you have a temp switch that operates the fans through a relay. Short the switch and see if they fire up. If so you could have a bad switch. some times you just got to take it in.

There might be an issue with the warranty with you fitting a different exhaust and having a dyno tune. l would suspect a faulty sensor or bad connection. I'm sure the dealer will wriggle out of a warranty claim on a modified bike.
2013 Busa, 5,700 miles. Full Acropovic with dyno tune.

I went for a short ride the other day everything was fine. When I got home I let the bike sit in the driveway and idle while I admired it. About 5 minutes later I go to put in the garage and notice the temp light is on and the gauge is almost maxed out. I turned the bike off and watched the overflow tank fill with coolant and even puke a little out.

I've replaced the fan relay with a brand new one. The fans still won't come on. I unplugged the fan motor and applied a 12v load and they come right on.

What should I look at next? Is this common? I mean I'm under 6,000 miles.

Thanks,
Steve

My dealer likes warranty work bc they get paid well to fix the bike and it's good to have happy customers , repeat customers. I'm glad mine understands that.

I'm sure the dealer will wriggle out of a warranty claim on a modified bike.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I'd just rather not deal with it if I don't have to.

dadofthree: Shorting the temp switch sounds like my next move. I haven't messed with the coolant at all. My plan was to introduce a 12v source starting from the fans and working back through the wiring harness according to the wiring diagram until I reach a point where the fans don't turn on. The temp switch is the last thing in the circuit left to check before I move onto things like frayed wires or lose grounds.

I'll update the post once I've done some more troubleshooting. Thanks for everyones advice.

Quick update. Had the new fan relay tested with a volt meter by someone who knows what he's doing. Its not the relay.

Still need to bypass the temp switch.

If the fans work when power is applied and the fuses/relays are okay, I would suspect the coolant temp switch. Seems early to have a faulty switch but thats what it sounds like (if it is plugged in FIRMLY).

Best

-D

If the fans work when power is applied and the fuses/relays are okay, I would suspect the coolant temp switch. Seems early to have a faulty switch but thats what it sounds like (if it is plugged in FIRMLY).

Best

-D

That's next. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Back