Fairing removal

BUSAFETT

Registered
I'm ready to install my TRE, and need some info on how to get the fairing off.. Looks like the only thing holding me up are 2 phillips head screws on the inner wall of the fairing, which are connected to a black piece connected to "somewhere".

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

BUSAFETT

ok atleast give a loc. of what fairinf if that is the front there are 3 screws there and to get the rest are all allen screws and the pop rivets

I was trying to pull the left "lower"fairing, the one with the Kanji on it. It's got 3 allen head screws connecting it to the upper fairing, then some along the side, and some at the bottom. However, upon pulling all of those, I noticed at the top of the fairing, in between it and the gas tank, there's a black piece of plastic that also holds onto the fairing with 2 phillips head screws on the inside.

I can't get the fairing off, without getting the black piece above it off as well. Thing is, I can't get the black piece off!

BUSAFETT

After you take the hex's out, there's also one of those black screws that pop out when you twist it w/ a screwdriver (flathead). After that ya gotta tug a little. The black inner is snapped to the frame and ya gotta tug it a little.

I use a sawzall, a big screwdriver and a sledge hammer to cut and pull that plastic off.
laugh.gif

There's also a couple of plastic clips on the inside near the radiator...push the end of them in and the clips pop right out
smile.gif

All kidding aside... remove all silver wide head allen head screws you can see ( 10 I think). don't forget the belly pan screws (4 more) The two quick rivets in the front fenderwell, the BIG plastic Rivet in front of the gas tank on the neck, and the push lock pin that is a friction fit where your left knee sits while riding. That little dude gets pulled up. That should just about cover it. If you want a step by step you can always download the free service manaul available here on the .Org. It's in the do it yourself section.
smile.gif

Hmm, I have not had a problem removing all the front lowers and the "dash" black panels... There are the plastic rivets and some pugging involved. The lower is zig-zagged into the front upper

You don't have to remove the fairing in order to install a TRE ... just lift the tank.

If you still want to remove them though, towards the back of the black dash panels which lay just under the tank, there is a plug-like thingy which is in the frame. After ALL of the screws are removed give the plastic piece (dash panels) a firm tug and the plug should come out of the frame.

The black plastic will come off with the fairing. Unfortunatly I have my fairings off right now but don't have a camera to take a pic of the plug I'm speaking of.

BTW ... you mentioned 2 phillip-head screws. Aside from the black tab located just under the handlebars, I use the second smallest allen screw in the toolkit in order to remove the fairings. Nothing else.

3 allen screws near the nose
1 near the black tab I spoke of
1 towards the bottom corner of the fairing (near front wheel)
1 towards bottom. (If removing both fairings, remove one from only one fairing)
1 under the bike
2 big ones (center of fairing & near rearbrake/gearshift)

No phillip head screws need to be removed.

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146275400 -->

to install the tre all you need to do is take the 2 bolts out of the front seat, pull it off, then take the 2 bolts off on the tip of the tank, take the prop rod out of the trunk, lift the tank, insert the 90 degree end of the prop rod into the steering stem hole and the other in the tank mount hole. then mount the tre where it says.

You don't have to remove the fairing in order to install a TRE ... just lift the tank.

If you still want to remove them though, towards the back of the black dash panels which lay just under the tank, there is a plug-like thingy which is in the frame. After ALL of the screws are removed give the plastic piece (dash panels) a firm tug and the plug should come out of the frame.

The black plastic will come off with the fairing. Unfortunatly I have my fairings off right now but don't have a camera to take a pic of the plug I'm speaking of.

BTW ... you mentioned 2 phillip-head screws. Aside from the black tab located just under the handlebars, I use the second smallest allen screw in the toolkit in order to remove the fairings. Nothing else.

3 allen screws near the nose
1 near the black tab I spoke of
1 towards the bottom corner of the fairing (near front wheel)
1 towards bottom. (If removing both fairings, remove one from only one fairing)
1 under the bike
2 big ones (center of fairing & near rearbrake/gearshift)

No phillip head screws need to be removed.
+1

Thanks all- Looks like the prior owner might have forgotten to provide the prop rod, as I don't remember seeing it.

BUSAFETT

...3 phillip head screws inside where the front wheel is too...
You don't need to remove any phillip head screws to remove the fairing.
So I have read.  My experience was different.
What Big T is talking about is the small black piece that wraps around the front of the fairing....the manual says to leave it connected to the side fairing and pull them off together. But its a biatch to get the fairing off/on that way without scratching stuff up, much easier to take the 3 phillips out and leave the black piece connected to the front radiator shroud.

Back