Face murder charges for speeding in ny

diesel

Registered
This is such BS. This off-duty trooper takes it upon himself to chase after a speeding sportbike going 100+ in his suv. . Now the biker is looking at MURDER charges? Welcome to Russia. The Trooper made a very poor judgement call and killed HIMSELF. Give the guy a speeding ticket . If I run down the driveway with my trash bag trying to catch the garbage man who is driving away and fall and break my neck, can we put him in the electric chair?

-

(WSYR-TV) - Investigators say James Carncross of Jamesville was the motorcyclist State Trooper Todeschini was chasing when his SUV crashed, and Todeschini was killed. Carncross signed a statement telling police he knew he was the one that Todeschini was chasing. However Carncross’ attorney says his client had no idea he was the one being pursued.

Emotions are high surrounding the investigation into the crash that killed Trooper Craig Todeschini, but the lawyer for the man accused of killing him says emotions must not overshadow the evidence. David Savlov has not seen all of the evidence, but he says his client, James Carncross, insists on one thing: he did not know the trooper was chasing him.

“He was riding his motorcycle, there were a couple of cars behind him, behind those two cars, he saw a police vehicle with lights flashing. And frankly, he didn’t know if it was for him, or any other motorists in the area,â€￾ David Savlov told our Alyson Megur on Monday.

Carncross didn’t wait to find out, and took off for home. Savlov says Trooper Todeschini crashed about 6 to 7 miles from where Carncross last remembers seeing him.

“The police officer wasn’t really chasing my client. He was looking for him because I don’t believe the trooper saw my client for six or seven miles before the crash occurred,â€￾ Savlov said.

Savlov says it wasn’t until he heard about the crash later that night that Carncross realized he might have been the one being chased. Savlov says many may argue Carncross should have pulled over anyway, but that still doesn’t make him responsible for Trooper Todeschini’s death.

“It’s my client’s conduct that is alleged to have caused the trooper’s death. I supposed the dfense could be, it’s the trooper’s conduct that caused his death,â€￾ Savlov said.

Savlov says he will explore that possibility through speed and road conditions, and all of the other evidence against his client.

“Frankly I think it’s overreaching to charge him with these two charges. But the DA feels otherwise, and that’s why we’re here,â€￾ Savlov said.

Typical...
In my opinion, the Trooper was a civilian at the time, being off duty...
So, just another civilian, who was driving recklessly and carelessly, and it bit him in the a$$...
With that said, I do feel for his Family...
Sounds like a bad deal all around...

David

So should I sue that blond bomb-shell that I was staring at when I walked into that pole while staring at her lowcut blouse for having my broken nose fixed?

Another DA looking to make a name for himself...
Absolute BS. Wouldn't doubt it if the signed statement was after warming him up a little...

(Projekt @ Oct. 06 2006,13:44) Another DA looking to make a name for himself...
Absolute BS. Wouldn't doubt it if the signed statement was after warming him up a little...
+1

BS! This is stupid finger pointing biased against Sportbikes... I'll bet if it was a Harley, this wouldn't have happened.

(Devious @ Oct. 06 2006,09:34) Typical...
So, just another civilian, who was driving recklessly and carelessly, and it bit him in the a$$...
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Bingo !!</span>

Kid down here in Florida ran on his 'busa. Cop popped a tire and died, kid got involuntary manslaughter.

For what it's worth, Florida has a no-pursuit policy for the highway patrol.

(Devious @ Oct. 06 2006,20:34) Typical...

David
The only thing is, a LEO is a LEO 24/7 whether on the clock or not,he still made a poor decision in chasing the bike and it cost him and his family,sad really....I dont get it,let em go kill them selves and save your life and go home to your family,get em next time at a signal or the local walmart or something.
rant.gif

(nitrousjunkie @ Oct. 06 2006,15:59)
(Devious @ Oct. 06 2006,20:34) Typical...

David
The only thing is, a LEO is a LEO 24/7 whether on the clock or not,he still made a poor decision in chasing the bike and it cost him and his family,sad really....I dont get it,let em go kill them selves and save your life and go home to your family,get em next time at a signal or the local walmart or something.
rant.gif
That is JUST GREAT NJ!!!

I cannot believe that you said that??? How could you??

Do you realize that I can never hide at WalMart again cause of you???

JK

Yep--I live in New York and this crash was BIG news here. Immediatedly after it happend, the police were pulling bikes over left & right. I got pulled over twice in the same week for nothing! I understand the brotherhood of the police, and I hate to see anyone die on the road, but it was definately open season on sport bikes here!!!

(yamahor @ Oct. 06 2006,12:25)
(Projekt @ Oct. 06 2006,13:44) Another DA looking to make a name for himself...
+1

BS! This is stupid finger pointing biased against Sportbikes... I'll bet if it was a Harley, this wouldn't have happened.
If it was a Harley it wouldn't have happened because he would have caught him.

Nobody wants to take personal responsibility anymore. This is the third incident in the past year where a LEO has made a poor decision that cost him his life and then people want to blame someone else for the decision. The biker should only be responsible for his decisions (speeding and evading), not the LEOs.

Speed limits are a joke anyway. They are there to raise money for the State without having to raise taxes. Think about it, an 80,000 lb truck and a 400lb motorcycle are both considered safe or unsafe at the same speed according to the speed limits. So why risk your life to enforce them? If the driver is a threat to the safety of others, yes, but just for ignoring a number painted on a sign, not worth dying for.
rant.gif

it's BS ....as a LEO he should have radioed it in.

offduty...they are only entitled to the same respect every other person deserves, and certainly no more.

onduty-uniformed- our society elevates thes same people to a position penal custodian.
it is only during theses times they have such entitlement.

the only thing 24/7 about a LEO should be their moral commitment no not break laws themselves.
beerchug.gif

that cop made a mental blunder....and the gene pool is that much cleaner for it.

(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 06 2006,18:25) Nobody wants to take personal responsibility anymore.  This is the third incident in the past year where a LEO has made a poor decision that cost him his life and then people want to blame someone else for the decision.  The biker should only be responsible for his decisions (speeding and evading), not the LEOs.

Speed limits are a joke anyway.  They are there to raise money for the State without having to raise taxes.  Think about it, an 80,000 lb truck and a 400lb motorcycle are both considered safe or unsafe at the same speed according to the speed limits.  So why risk your life to enforce them?   If the driver is a threat to the safety of others, yes, but just for ignoring a number painted on a sign, not worth dying for.  
rant.gif
I agree with your rant its all about cash flow and it seems the state and county want to grow their presence at all costs....your cost that is anyway they tax us to death and then conduct hiway robbery on the side of the road in order to get more revenue I mean, my lord, here in kalifornia they always have their hand out and its ridiculas its sad and all for all involved but I remember not long ago a constuction worker fell to his death and it was just, oh well to bad, he was only a construction guy...the same day this happened a cop was killed doing his job and they damn near shut down the city to make him some mythical hero....its not right what that DA is trying to do but im not surprised if ya ask me the legal system is broken, not because of lack of money, but because of the lack of fairness and balance....

The rider is guilty of speeding and evading.

Not murder!!!   That's complete crap!!!

it says off duty but that he had lights flashing...if he had a take home ride, which i bet he did, then he is still technically on duty. all motor officers ride their bikes home, and are known to make traffic stops on the way. this does not make them wrong, if they are stopping a bike or car shouldnt matter. even if they just hit the guy for evading (which they should), it will still be felony evading. yeah, the officer probably should have let it go, but the biker should have stopped. i hope he gets jail time for felony evading, but murder will never stick..

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 06 2006,20:40) The rider is guilty of speeding and evading.

Not murder!!!   That's complete crap!!!
The only thing the rider is guilty of is being a rider... Period.
The LEO is guilty of poor judgement and hotshotting it.. Hell he probably just wanted to get home faster and used the excuse of "pursuit/chasing" to exceed the posted limit himself..
Chase down bank robbers off duty.
Chase down 187s off duty.
Chase down 211's off duty.
Chase down Pedophiles off duty.
But come on, a rider going faster than the surrounding traffic, fophuk'ssake!

(ozz @ Oct. 06 2006,18:45)
(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 06 2006,18:25) Nobody wants to take personal responsibility anymore.  This is the third incident in the past year where a LEO has made a poor decision that cost him his life and then people want to blame someone else for the decision.  The biker should only be responsible for his decisions (speeding and evading), not the LEOs.

Speed limits are a joke anyway.  They are there to raise money for the State without having to raise taxes.  Think about it, an 80,000 lb truck and a 400lb motorcycle are both considered safe or unsafe at the same speed according to the speed limits.  So why risk your life to enforce them?   If the driver is a threat to the safety of others, yes, but just for ignoring a number painted on a sign, not worth dying for.  
rant.gif
I agree with your rant    its all about cash flow and it seems the state and county want to grow their presence at all costs....your cost that is anyway   they tax us to death and then conduct hiway robbery on the side of the road in order to get more revenue   I mean, my lord, here in kalifornia they always have their hand out and its ridiculas    its sad and all for all involved but I remember not long ago a constuction worker fell to his death and it was just, oh well to bad, he was only a construction guy...the same day this happened a cop was killed doing his job and they damn near shut down the city to make him some mythical hero....its not right what that DA is trying to do but im not surprised   if ya ask me the legal system is broken, not because of lack of money, but because of the lack of fairness and balance....
+1,000,000
The speed limits remain as a revenue generator for poor municipalities to buy patrol units and hire more officers and write more tickets. Then they buy more, hire more, and write more.
PHUK THIS SHET!!!

(1911boy @ Oct. 07 2006,03:04) all motor officers ride their bikes home, and are known to make traffic stops on the way. this does not make them wrong,
if you are off your shift...and you happen to stop anyone with enough witts to think so....then a lawer would have a fun time with you.

and before this turns to lawer bashing....lol we wouldn't need friggen bottom feeding lawers if the leagal system worked in the first place....take a bite out of REAL crime like gang violence and corporate theives that steal millions from employees pension funds...

stop busting down doors because a 'thought" them smelled soemthing funny late lastnight. OR jailing little tommy because after you impounded his car for not coming to a complete stop on that deserted corner at 4AM, and they found a seed of MJ from deep in the carpet where the previous owner of the car had dropped it. But now it's in tommy's possession and that's just the way the law reads...

we need a judicial system that actually does something to enhance the life quality of the people that it is meant to protect.

Back