F1 vs motogp

huge difference , I thought they should be near
sad.gif

Im not surprised. Pound for Pound the F1 car is superior to a GP bike. Not to take anything from GP but the amount of money and technology spent in F1 dwarfs that of GP's. (and there is ALOT of $$$ in GP!) I think the results would be closer with less laps.
-J

Im not surprised. Pound for Pound the F1 car is superior to a GP bike. Not to take anything from GP but the amount of money and technology spent in F1 dwarfs that of GP's. (and there is ALOT of $$$ in GP!) I think the results would be closer with less laps.
-J
+1

Actually it's all down to physics.

Downforce and contact patch folks.

You cant ignore the monumental difference in contact patch and downforce between the two. The GP bike has a better Power to Weight ratio but the F1 car has a boat load more rubber to get the thing round. Not to mention the wings and tubs which generate tons of downforce at speed.

A MotoGp bike going like a Bat out of  
firedevil.gif
through a turn would be compaired to an F1 going through that turn in idle  
down.gif

You just can't imagine the amount of speed an F1 can generate through a turn compaired to anything ! And the Braking abilities are even better !

dont forget that contact patch a lean angles play a big part. you can only lean a bike over so far.. in car you go till the front end pushes and then some..

Of course the cars are faster, 4 wide tires with downforce generating wings compared to 2 narrow tires and no wings.

But in F1, the best car wins. Maybe 80% car and 20% driver.
But in MotoGP, the best rider wins, 80% rider and 20% bike.

That's why I love MotoGP!!!!

Of course the cars are faster, 4 wide tires with downforce generating wings compared to 2 narrow tires and no wings.

But in F1, the best car wins.  Maybe 80% car and 20% driver.
But in MotoGP, the best rider wins, 80% rider and 20% bike.

That's why I love MotoGP!!!!
+1

If you watch how the bikes and cars handle the same corner, the bikes are so far leaned and riders are so conscious of throttle control while the F1 cars just barrel throught the same corners like it's nothing!! As some of the members have said, MORE contact patch and LARGER downforce and lots of $$$$ invested.

Also, F1 and Champ Cars are always going to be quicker than the bikes on road courses. Example: At Willow Springs International Raceway Big Track, Michael Andretti set the all time fastest lap time of 1:06:050 in a Champ Car. Nigel Mansell was 2nd quickeset with 1:06:300 in an F1 car.

Mat Mladin's lap times when they did run Willow as part of the Superbike series many moons ago was in the 1:21 range.

My lap time was 1:43 range.

HUGE DISPARITY between bike and car.

Always wondered about this, but it makes sense. Difference is with MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA Superbike, you see more racing!
cool.gif

Always wondered about this, but it makes sense. Difference is with MotoGP, WSBK, and AMA Superbike, you see more racing!
cool.gif
Ok, I love motorcycle racing....but, F1 is awesome. I may not care for Bernie and the way he runs F1, but those guys in F1 have me on the edge of me seat just as much as the MotoGP guys, and even more so than WSB or AMA Superbike.

Indy / CART can blow...politics ruined a lovely thing, enough said. I enjoy F1 for what it is and MotoGP for what it is...both are excellent...and both race hard-core to the extreme.

Nascar on the other hand is allright, and will get some tv time at my house, but just not in the same galaxy as F1 or MotoGP.

Ok, I love motorcycle racing....but, F1 is awesome. I  may not care for Bernie and the way he runs F1, but those guys in F1 have me on the edge of me seat just as much as the MotoGP guys, and even more so than WSB or AMA Superbike.
I understand what you mean; I grew up with F1 back in the Watkins Glen days. But there simply isn't as much passing and racing in F1 as there is in motorcycle racing.

Back