Experience with Yamaha Champions Riding School

spotrot

Registered
I took theYamaha Champions Riding School 3 weeks ago at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah (just west of SLC).
For me, not only first school, first time on a track, and the first time getting any instruction on riding technique. So take that into consideration in this review. And I choose this particular school because it was the only two day school that fit with my travel schedule in past 2 years

Brief summary: I feel I am a far better rider, much safer, and I will do track days and courses again.
I’m glad took this course. I suspected this was a high-level, no spoon-feeding course and that proved true. My thought was why not learn from racers who have proven their skill at the very top levels of competition and then start practicing the way they all agree it is best accomplished. I’m not good at overcoming old habits, so I thought I’d try to learn it right the first time.

On another forum, another prior student wrote a very long detailed account of the classes, and I found it to be very accurate so I won’t restate what he said. I’ll just add items I thought of interest.

Each day, an instructor rode behind and filmed each student around the full track, and then each video was critiqued at end of day. The videos are then posted on their site.

Plus anyone can do a two-up ride with an instructor, one or more times. This was a mind-blowing A-ticket ride for me. I could not conceive of a motorcycle going that fast around corners with one person, never mind two. Scott Russell was the pilot. I rarely watch racing so I had no idea who he was. Later I learned: “Scott Russell is the all-time leader in 750ccAMA Supersport wins, winning the 750cc Supersport title three years in a row from 1990 to 1992 and winning every race in 1991. In 1992, Russell also claimed the AMA Superbike Championship. He became the Superbike World Champion in1993 and was runner-up in 1994. In 2005, Russell was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame and became the lead motorcycle road racing analyst for SPEED TV in May 2009.â€

A much more experienced rider (than me) was on the back with Scott for two laps and was about having a coronary, when a mistake in hand signals, sent him on a third lap. He said the rear tire was sliding on most corners and on the chicane he also could feel the front tire sliding and catching.

Students included one 13-year-old, half of the others had at least some grey hair, several near 60 years old. 3 had never been on a track or at a school before. 5 (or more) were return students to this course; that says a lot. There were also a number of very fast club racers.

Track: MMP and facilities are excellent; very safe but a very fast and challenging track. We rode the West course the first day; East the second. I liked the east the best.
Late September: great time for MMP - typically in 70’s to 80’s and sunny. Doesn’t rain much there, either.

Bike: Yamaha R6 w3000 miles but looked brand new. Suspension and shocks were excellent. The engine is not a torque monster but it was fun repeatedly taking it over 16,000 rpm. The brakes were truly phenomenal, especially shod w/Q2’s. Throttle by wire is so sensitive, so much easier to blip than my 04 Busa. Other Yamaha’s are available to ride also.

Equipment: Arai Profile helmets, S to XXL; Alpinestars 1pc leather suits

Instructors: 5 track champions; Nick Ienatsch, Ken Hill, Shane “Tornado†Turpin, Dale Kieffer; Mark Schellinger but every instructor was friendly, accessible and helpful. Averaged 3 to 5 students per instructor and then switched up.

Time on track: Lots of time; unless you’re 13, you’ll be ready to quit by day’s end.

Classroom sessions: Funny, spirited, never boring.

Unexpectedly good lunches provided; snacks and full cooler of drinks at every class session and every break

Unexpected extra, the museum: The promised land for Ford racing. The only complete collection of GT40 Mark’s plus a new Ford GT. Many Shelby Mustangs and Cobras: one-offs and champion cars, one alone worth several million dollars.

If forum members want further specific, I’ll try to provide them.

This just in: robmmp discovered $300 discounts on this school in Las Vegas in Nov and Dec. Search the track exercise post for details.

You got to ride with Scott Russell? VERY COOL. Ever watch AMA racing on the Speed Channel? He's one of the commentators :thumbsup:

Scott Russell was the pilot. I rarely watch racing so I had no idea who he was. Later I learned: “Scott Russell is the all-time leader in 750ccAMA Supersport wins, winning the 750cc Supersport title three years in a row from 1990 to 1992 and winning every race in 1991. In 1992, Russell also claimed the AMA Superbike Championship. He became the Superbike World Champion in1993 and was runner-up in 1994. In 2005, Russell was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame and became the lead motorcycle road racing analyst for SPEED TV in May 2009.â€￾

MMP has hosted World Superbike races since 2008... 21 year old daughter Lauryn and I have attended the last two years. This year, Scott Russell was on hand to join the other instructors as they did the very same "Superbike Hot Laps" that you took.

Here is Scott Russell about to take my daughter on her hot lap:

ScottThumbsUp.jpg

A bit later in the afternoon, Lauryn spied Scott Russell near the paddock and score a photo-op with him:

Lauryn_Scott.jpg

Back