Exhausts - Other Mod recs

Nekosohana

Registered
I've been reading up here for a little while now, and I need some opinions. Not the usual titanium/fiber questions. I need something more basic an hopefully concise.

So a little about me so that you will know my riding style. Primarly I like two things... fast and long. My Busa replaces my touring VTX 1800. I commute on it, and I like to go fast during the week, and then usually once a month I make a long trip.

Being one who really can't afford a lot of mods, I have made a decision about how to buy for bikes, and I am not really a halfway person anymore. So I need a recommendation on a full system, saddlebags, PCIII (don't really need a rec just getting one for the pipes), and possibly the thoughts on gearing and brake systems.

Currently, I have straight pipes (yes, straight pipe). I like the loud sound of it, but the loss of backpressure seems to be a major problem. So I can look at this one of two ways. Since tuneing seems to be a process of the tuner and less about the pipes, will a full system offer me that much more after I put a PCIII on there? Or will my straight pipes keep me close enough to keep their unique look? If you recommend pipes, I want a full system under a thousand, so any thoughts would be appreciative.

Saddlebags. I think I have this nailed down from Pashnit's website. But if you have any saddlebag recs I would appreciate them.

Gearing. I am going to replace my chain for this years rides. In the process I will probably adjust the gearing as well. Any recs for a good balance of speed and distance? If it is important enough, I usually ride two up on the long rides.

Seat. I'm getting a Tobin. No question about it.

And I have heard that upgrading the brake system can completely alter the experience. If you have thoughts about this, I don't even know where to begin on this one. Thoughts would be appreciated.

That's all the torture I have for you. If you can't tell I just like to ride. The look is secondary to me to the ability to haul ass down the road. If you have any other comments
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
or otherwise... I would appreciate them.

full system under 1K will probably be used or muzzy

brakes. there's a group buy going on right now with street n track
SS lines and pads. can't go wrong there

Get a double bubble windscreen also. It will look better, block more wind, and let you see all of your guages with ease.

Tobin seat is a must.

Exhaust is all a matter of personal opinions.

Heli bars if you want to raise the handlebars up a little.

Stock gearing should do fine for you want.

Aftermarket hand grips.

GPS

Aftermarket rearsets are very nice for long rides, if you can afford them.

Get a tank pad for about $15 to protect your paint from scratches.

I could go on for days, but these are all of the basics.

Your straight pipes are really giving you two problems ! One, your down on HP quite a bit and I would imagine your fuel has gone on the REAL LEAN side. Get a set of pipes and a PC is the way to go and you'll notice the difference right away with more and smoother power. Gearing, my opinion is stock should do you find with a good combo of mileage for those trips (I get 42 to 45 mpg averaging 55 mph on the trip - of course that means most of my moving speed is 70 to 75 mph) and acceleration. Brake system, no question, go steel braided lines. And above all, be realistic with what you want VS what your going to get for you $$$  
beerchug.gif

Throttlemeister will help on long trips too. I had a VTX1800F; great bike, but the Busa is even better. Congrats.

not really lookin to get rid of my pipes...was guna hook up a member here but changed his mind. I am polishing my SA n frame so they're coming off anyway. if you are interested, heres a good pic n u can always PM if you want.

now-best mods for cruiser that likes a lil speed:
new grips (Rizoma r the bomb, but any good thick grips NOT billet will help stop vibes from the bars)
Throttlemeister (if you take ONE trip over 100 mi, this will be your favorite mod ever-n it also kills bar vibes if you get a Hevy one)
SS brake lines n EBC HH brake pads-rotors dont make much diff unless you do alot of hi-speed braking (drag or tack racing) maybe radial Master Cylinder is you really want.
get a full exhaust (under $1000 for a Busa you're lookin at used-not a bad thing, just FYI. most pipes are in the 8-900 range, and after tax n install? yeah u get the idea)
and PCIII usb-keep your motor running good nget the most power out of your pipes-try to do those 2 mods at the same time...less hassle with tuning.

good luck brutha
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the information guys. I thought I would be doijng OK with a G for the pipes but maybe i need to reassess.

Off to do some online window shopping. Thank you all for the great information!

bowdown.gif

OK, so after a lot of reading I thought I would bump with my plans for what I intend to do to the bike.

Since I am not a modder, but am a competent wrencher and have friends who I can rely on when I exceed my expertise:

R-22 Full System - I found an ebay store that sells them for shy of $700 stainless.  However, Tim's group buy was in the works so I am going to try to buy from him if the price is close.

Stock Suspension - from another article I learned that I can "hedge" the suspension quality for little money and a time expense.

Windscreen - Fortunately I already have a double bubble (or something similar which I like), but it rattles so I am going to get some padding for the inside to cut out the rattle.

PCIII - My cobra fi2000 wont work so I will sell it and buy up.

TRE - honestly, I feel that working on your bike makes you like it more, but I usually avoid the electronics systems because of how tough it was in the military. So I think this will be my first experiment in electronics...building one.

Small Air Box and Pair Valve Removal - I already did the marble mod, so I might as well just gut out the pair valve as well.  And since I will have to map it out, I will just take care of the small air box as well.

Brakes - I can't afford them just yet (after I spend the G on the other stuff, damn debt!) but they are next in line for purchase.

Tobin - Should be the last mod of the year.  I am going to try and make it my birthday present from my parents (...)

OK, now with that said, I get back to my bike in about 2 weeks (yea!) from CO to TX.  We have a Dyno in Allen about 2 miles from my house.  If you get a "custom map" how much should I figure in for that?

And even though I don't have the maps on me since they are boxed up, I at least have a baseline Dyno run (the day I bought it my friends shop in Allen was having $10 runs) at 158hp.  So I am hoping for good good numbers!  A nice even 175 isnt too realistic with a custom map is it?

**edit** grips and throttlemeister are also in there before June, but since they are fairly inexpensive, I will juse have them tossed on when I get some time and a little cash in a month or two.

Well,
My two cents -
If you are simply about comfort and cruising:
Throttlemeisters
Helibars, Reapers or Genmar (reapers are cheapest)
headset of some kind for music
Tobin
Pegs
EBC HH pads (lines as well)
You mention that you already have a good windscreen
Decent tank bag
In addition to the exhaust solutions that you mention.

Depending on the shop, expect to pay between $250 and $350 for the dyno time/custom map...

Thank you for the info.  ooh-rah!

(4 years in Yuma, AZ at VMA-513 with the Harrier squadron)

I am going to pass on the Helibars. I am short and fat so I actually find the setup to be good for me.

Not to mention my pain tolerance is high. I don't know about the Tobin seats yet as far as comfort, and I have rode stock seats that other people cry about like little girls. So it's on the list for sure, but I am doing it because I think they look damn fine.

(Nekosohana @ Mar. 15 2007,21:15) I am short and fat so I actually find the setup to be good for me.
Actually the busa fits better for someone with a long reach...because I'm 6'3" and have long arms it places me in a more upright position than somebody with shorter arms which is why the seating position has never been a problem for me.

I'll likely get a Tobin one day as well but have yet to have a problem with stock seat, even on 500 mile a day rides.

(Over_Easy @ Mar. 15 2007,21:27)
(Nekosohana @ Mar. 15 2007,21:15) I am short and fat so I actually find the setup to be good for me.
Actually the busa fits better for someone with a long reach...because I'm 6'3" and have long arms it places me in a more upright position than somebody with shorter arms which is why the seating position has never been a problem for me.

I'll likely get a Tobin one day as well but have yet to have a problem with stock seat, even on 500 mile a day rides.
Really? Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. I have always argued that my torso was longer than my legs, but who knows.

I do know I rode the Dallas - Austin run in a stretch and got off with little problem, and no soreness.

So...good times!

Yeah, you had a VTX, so you know all ABOUT crappy stock seats.

As a side note to those who dont know, I had a VTX as well, and it was a great bike, but the stock seat blew ass for any ride longer than 45 minutes or so.

On your list of mods, I still think id toss braided brake lines in there. You can get into those for pretty reasonable. I got my galfer front, rear, and clutch lines for $115 at the bike show in chicago.

That's not too bad of a deal but I am reading about the breaks as well. Fortunately there is a lot of info on here...unfortunately there is a lot of info on here. Can someone give me a mini-run down as to the why of the brake lines? I know it has something to do with the makeup of the braids or something. Basically it makes them more responsive?

So I am thinking thinking
smile.gif

Did go for the Muzzy fan though. Probably don't need it, but it's easy and fairly cost effective for what it does (especially in the hot Texas summer). Goldenchild seems to be a good trustworthy (and smart!) guy so he had a deal, I will take it up.

I am sure some of these questions would be better in the newbie section, but I actually rode it mod free for a year, so I am only new to here...not to the bike
cool.gif

Brake Lines:

Braided lines give you better brake feel. When you apply your brakes, what you are doing is pressurizing fluid through the lines to the caliper, which is, in turn, pressing the caliper piston(s) into the back side of the brake pad, which then presses it against the rotor. The harder you squeeze, the more pressure that is applied to the rotor.

rant.gif

Yes, that's common knowledge, I know, but what people sometimes do NOT understand is that the flexible rubber lines will ALSO flex through their diameter. In other words, they also expand a slight bit. Due to different temperature conditions, the amount of expansion in the lines varies, which gives you inconsistent brake feel. Braided steel (or zinc, aluminum, titanium, whatever) does not expand through its diameter, so it allows for a consistent and linear progression of pressure through the lines, independent of external conditions. In other words, 100% of the braking force provided by you squeezing (or stepping, in the case of the rear brake) can be used to apply force to the caliper piston, and not in expanding your brake lines.

Nice. I am talking to Goldenchild about more and may just package the deal up so I should get everything noted above for a really good price. Brakes are just around the corner if that is the case!

Awesome. Sorry if that post about brakes sounded a little dorky. I'm an engineer - I can't help it.

Actually, you confirmed exactly what I was hoping to hear.  And it looks like Goldenchild is really going to take care of the whole deal for me and if it comes out (price wise) like I think it will... other than the TRE and suspension I will be getting a GREAT deal (INCLUDING new brakes!)

Then I just get to put all of that stuff on, lol.  So I can kiss my bike goodbye for the first week or so that I am back...

Back