Exhaust Gas Temperature Tuning?

bobk

Registered
Just wondering how many people are using data logging and EGR to tune their turbos? If you are, where are you placing the probe(s) in the header pipe or after the turbo? Also what EGR temps are you shooting for with pump gas?

I don't know anyone that's got a turbo who's tunning with EGR. If you were to do it you would have to instal them before the turbo in the header. It wouldn't help you much to put it in after the turbo since at this point the temps are reduced and you don't know which cylnder has what temp. Turbo's like to be on the rich side of the a/f ratio so by having just a wide band lambda will do the trick.

EGT... (EGR is an emmissions device
smile.gif
)

Exhaust gas temp is not a very good tuning device on a gas engine IMO but it does make a good item to monitor..

Reason being is there is an effect that can occur that can really throw you for a loop...

I call it the "blow torch" If an engine is excessively rich, the gases can exit the combustion chamber unburned and then ignite in the exhaust pipe. It will give a false EGT temp... Good to monitor, just bad for tuning decisions IMO..

It is invaluable on a diesel, (or should I say mandatory?)

Gas motor mounting "Should" be Pre turbo, on dyno we run both, I have seen 300 degree differences... Diesel, I have done both but prefer Pre turbo as well..

Back