exhaust changes

templar

Registered
bowdown.gif
 I've got an 06 busa,  is it possible to just go straight pipes with it? By  removing the rear exhaust canister and placing a straight pipe extention.  
Will it be too loud?
Will it damage the engine short term or long term?
guns.gif

Every Harley and chopper has straight pipes it's no different, or is it?
rock.gif

I questioned the Modesto PD and highway patrol and neither could give me an explanation of why every cruising/chopper around has straight pipes but crotch rockets have to have canisters? Any wisdom?

(templar @ Sep. 12 2007,20:28)
bowdown.gif
 I've got an 06 busa,  is it possible to just go straight pipes with it? By  removing the rear exhaust canister and placing a straight pipe extention.  
Will it be too loud?
Will it damage the engine short term or long term?
guns.gif

Every Harley and chopper has straight pipes it's no different, or is it?
rock.gif

I questioned the Modesto PD and highway patrol and neither could give me an explanation of why every cruising/chopper around has straight pipes but crotch rockets have to have canisters? Any wisdom?
Bubba says "Its because harleys and choppers are as american as moms apple pie.....who's gonna go against that?? But a plastic foreign road rocket?? Hell they all outta be pulled over, and the riders beat with a rubber hose while they watch their bikes burn". Thats what Bubba says till he rides a road rocket.....then he quits saying anything and just mumbles and drools alot  
laugh.gif

Or maybe you can put straight pipes on your  busa like lots of other guys are doing with no danger whatsoever and let the engine roar  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

But if you go that route a pc and free flowing air filter will net you a substantial performance increase and better running over just the straight pipes alone.

laugh.gif

Check out(search) 8DAYTONA8, he's doing something like you're talking about, pretty cheap !!

AND WELCOM TO THE BOARD !!!! Now if I were you I'd post a pic of your bike, or you'll stir up the natives, LOL !! (we love pictures) What year are you riding ?

if you like it loud try the brock's alien Gen III system. it has a nice deep sound getting on it and off. people say they can hear me coming a mile out easy. and your buds will never ride on your right side LOL. plus the performance is off the wall. in a year i have try 3 full exhaust systems and a set of cans. nothing comes close....
firedevil.gif
if you have a hot rod it should sound and perform like a hot rod.
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

I love to hear the engine as much as anyone else, however, more and more non-riders (the general public) is getting ticked off over obnoxiously loud motorcycles.

Loud does not mean more power. I hate to see the day when aftermarket exhausts are illegal. They are now, technically, just not being enforced, not yet. Food for thought......

abuddy of mine runs a strait pipe for racing. He had to retune the engine to match it. You have to really play with the diameter and length to get the best results. For the street he runs a can though. The straight pipe is pretty damn loud. Worse is an unbaffled megaphone. They are just waaaay to loud.

Depending on what you want, the megaphone systems are pretty popular on this board.

Another option is the Boz Moira.

Personally, I went with the "build your own" route. Worked well for me.

Now with some options on the table, let me share a secret. It's not loud like a Harley is loud, it's something else. The offset angles of the engine with a V-twin, create that lolloping sound. The straights on the Hayabusa are a more consistent roar, which escalates to a scream, which escalates to a pitch so high and loud that at 9k and up it's just white noise.

Oddly enough, I rarely take my bike into the upper revs anymore because of it. With a regular pipe, or something that makes it sound like a mustang, you don't exactly have the scope of speed that you do with straights. This isn't a bash against any regular can by any means. What I am trying to say is that the faster you go the louder it gets. There is something that is tied to that in me. Meaning there is a "pitch" that I don't go past. And because of that, I seriously doubt I will ever see the top ends of the bike.

(JuiceSC @ Sep. 13 2007,05:14) I love to hear the engine as much as anyone else, however, more and more non-riders (the general public) is getting ticked off over obnoxiously loud motorcycles.

Loud does not mean more power. I hate to see the day when aftermarket exhausts are illegal. They are now, technically, just not being enforced, not yet. Food for thought......
Its happening quicker than you think....that someday is NOW
sad.gif
California is already implenting plans to control aftermarket vendors and what they can and can't sell. Denver Colorado has a new law which requires epa marked exhausts on bikes...which means stock only. Several other states are going the inspection route for everything meeting epa requirements. And we know what california starts everybody follows. I'm glad I still live in a wide open, half deserted state where nobody seems to care enough about the noise and emmisions yet to mess with anything
tounge.gif

(templar @ Sep. 13 2007,01:28) Any wisdom?
All you need to do to approximate the sound your fixing to buy is to remove both mufflers and fire it up and let it run through the mid-pipes .

See if that type sound is responsible enough for you .

What you buy in terms of some type of straight pipes will likely be even louder .

Back