Ever seen a wheel rupture like this

2hip

Registered
My wife was driving home on Monday tucked in a tight caravan on 680 near Concord. She swears she never saw what she hit. But she hit it dead center on driver's front tire on her Mercedes. Her car started pulling hard left and she exited immediately as the sensors warned of depressurization of tire....check out the photo. Never have I seen a rupture like this...have u?

Tow truck driver said there were 4 flats within 1 miles of this in the last couple of hours. Tire shows minimal damage but wheel destroyed. Picked up a new one on Flea Bay for 180 bucks...sucks man. Thanks to God that she didn't lose control. I told her that her Guardian Angel was copiloting that day...whew!!!

2 bikes, ruptured tire, max brushing 04-27-11 006.jpg

Wow! That is absolutely crazy! I'm surprised that the wheel just didn't come apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen that kind of damage more than once. Recommend you replace the tire, though it may appear undamaged it maybe structurally unsound. At the very least check it daily for a bubble, front blow outs are no fun.

all new tires man. along with replacing that rim. talk to the benz dealer, ask them if they've ever seen it. maybe they'll hook you up with a mount and balance so they can tell other customers how safe their vehicles are

I've seen one just like that about a month or two ago. My daugher hit a really bad pothole and the tire lost air really quickly. It was also the front left tire. The rim also took a hit - it had a good scrape, but luckily it wasn't bent.

Same thing happened to my riding partner on his BMW R1200GS.

We were coming out of Death Valley and there was a rockslide just past apex on a mountainside road. I was able to avoid all obstacles, he avoided all but one and it nailed his front and rear tires solid. Put the spoke right through the front wheel, bent the rear wheel rim beyond ruin.

It's amazing how solid a rock can be and how soft aluminum really is.

Reinforcement bar in the concrete sticking up? Are the tires run flat tires? If so that would explain why you didn't see much if any damage. They are strange tires...

Posted from my HTC EVO using tapatalk...

Back