Europe or EU kills another big bore bike

The manufacturers have the resources to meet the standards, they're just choosing not to. Every development of the internal combustion engine related to efficiency has been spurred on by regulation, and manufacturers have adapted and remained solvent.

Does anyone else feel like a great age is passing.
And gathering steam......there are not many of the "greatest generation" left and their memories and dreams are fading in those of us who followed.

Bring on the generations coming up and we will be in real trouble I think...

On the other hand, the auto industry is going nuts with hp numbers.

That's one reason I decided to invest so much money in my Busa. I'm starting to think there won't be a "new one" and the manufacturers aren't even working toward big bore street supremacy machines anymore.

I concur, I believe we have seen the last of the hyper bike as we have come to know it.

Kawasaki won the war when it comes to street dominancy so what's next?

Lads.... we've seen this before. The bike industry, like the car industry goes in cycles. (Pun intended) If there's a market for a new big bore class of bikes, they'll be made.
Now, if your argument is that consumer tastes have changed to the point that the buying public isn't interested in that type of performance any longer, then it may be a while before they come back. But they will. There is no nostalgic attachment to a genre in either car or bike manufacturers, other than playing to those feelings within the public. They make what they believe they can sell. Period. The Corvette isn't in it's 8th iteration because the ghost of Arkus-Duntov wants it to continue, it's being made because GM thinks it'll sell, and bring people into dealerships where they can be sold other vehicles.

I think smaller displacement turbos, then electric.

Yep, sadly enough....the E Bikes won't be mainstream for a while though.

I almost see some bike companies reducing their lineups in the future as bikes are getting less and less popular. Sales are down across the board...even Harley is suffering and it isn't because their bikes are antiquated, they produce what the demand dictates.

Insurance companies are part of the demise of motorcycling as well. I don't know how the car companies will fare in the future...the cost to insure their performance cars (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) is crazy if you get the V8 option. Young people can't afford to insure them.

Lads.... we've seen this before. The bike industry, like the car industry goes in cycles. (Pun intended) If there's a market for a new big bore class of bikes, they'll be made.
Now, if your argument is that consumer tastes have changed to the point that the buying public isn't interested in that type of performance any longer, then it may be a while before they come back. But they will. There is no nostalgic attachment to a genre in either car or bike manufacturers, other than playing to those feelings within the public. They make what they believe they can sell. Period. The Corvette isn't in it's 8th iteration because the ghost of Arkus-Duntov wants it to continue, it's being made because GM thinks it'll sell, and bring people into dealerships where they can be sold other vehicles.

I honestly don't see it rebounding as it did in the past...once it goes to the "Dodo" I see it going hard and fast.

The upcoming generation are not as nostalgic as we were/are. Many of them don't have enough ambition or liquid assets to make this realistic.

Any of the 20 and 30 somethings I talk to aren't interested in the same things we are. There will be a time soon when the old muscle and vintage cars won't be worth a penny, if you go to a car show, there isn't any young(er) people showing a vintage car-tuner cars are their vintage cars.

Motorcycle riding clubs will phase out as there are no young(er) people joining them, vintage bikes will disappear.

Sad reality...

I honestly don't see it rebounding as it did in the past...once it goes to the "Dodo" I see it going hard and fast.

The upcoming generation are not as nostalgic as we were/are. Many of them don't have enough ambition or liquid assets to make this realistic.

Any of the 20 and 30 somethings I talk to aren't interested in the same things we are. There will be a time soon when the old muscle and vintage cars won't be worth a penny, if you go to a car show, there isn't any young(er) people showing a vintage car-tuner cars are their vintage cars.

Motorcycle riding clubs will phase out as there are no young(er) people joining them, vintage bikes will disappear.

Sad reality...
You make a good argument, and you may be right. Guess we (or our kids) will see....

Nor was I when that age

I can say my interests at that age didn't vary that much from my father's interests. I was married and in the army so life was a bit different for me than some others.

The younger crowd of today are very much different than of even my day, most likely brought on by the information age of social media and instant information. I hear lots of them refer to their on-line video gaming as their greatest hobby.

Back