EPA

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I was in my local Ducati dealer, seems to know his stuff. They had 696 monster with the TERMIGNONI Exhaust...that thing sounded sweet
thumb_up.gif

So we start talking and he mentions how Ducati has sanctioned the exhaust, the whole package is 1200.00 which includes the exhaust, a power commander and the mapping. Plus it maintains the warrantee etc.

He mentions that everything is going south due to the EPA and that Duk is trying to keep ahead of the curve.
He said how the Dynojet got sued for millions and settled out of court for a million bucks and noted how they have the usb as "off road only" and the street version is the EX. I believe he said the EX only remaps the fuel past a certain rpm, like 5000rpm...

He then mentions how in the next 2-3 years, thanks to the EPA...all the aftermarket exhaust will be GONE. Unless of course it chokes the bike and passes epa standards...then what's the point of getting it.

That's scary cause all the current crop of oem exhaust is all ugly as hell and heavy, not to mention...not exactly blood pumping sound.

My guess is, and if I'm wrong someone please educate me...that there are different epa standards for say motorcycles vs SUVs...I doubt that there is a flat line blanket pollution limit for all. So if my little 2-4 cylinder motorcycle engine is 1/4 of a car motor...why the hell screw with me
wtf.gif
Limiting motorcycle pollution seems like putting out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire. Aren't there bigger fish than the motos?

Not to mention the other point that pisses me off...the fricken EPA works for us...why do we put up with this crap?

I swear...anytime the government gets involved = snafu

Ever see a $10,000 muffler,thanks to the EPA.They're hitting every thing now days,even a little push mower.

Power Comanders and replacing the exhaust with other than OEM is already " Illegal" on the street.  I would think TRE's are illegal too because it modifies the emmissions.  It's also illegal the replace a lawnmower exhaust with other than OEM or rejet the carb.

When they decide to start smog testing bikes there will be alot of people wishing they had kept the OEM system.  It will be an instant fail without it.

if they ever smog testing bikes i will just move out into the boonies and not even think twice about it... I already have to dodge those places with my car
argue.gif

Power Comanders and replacing the exhaust with other than OEM is already " Illegal" on the street.  I would think TRE's are illegal too because it modifies the emmissions.  It's also illegal the replace a lawnmower exhaust with other than OEM or rejet the carb.

When they decide to start smog testing bikes there will be alot of people wishing they had kept the OEM system.  It will be an instant fail without it.
They won't crack down hard, if at all, on past machinery...it'll only apply to the current year bikes and up, thats how they work. Thats okay tho cause the bikes are only going to get heavier and more restricted from here on out. The best bikes are being made now. Thats why I don't have any plans on future new bike purchases, I'm VERY happy with what I have. And when you buy new high tech Japanese equipment that is outdated every 2 years, you lose your ass when you sell. Your best off buying low mileage 2 year old machines for half the cost of new, and letting the original buyer take the HUGE depreciation loss just to be cutting edge for a few thousand miles lol

When the EPA and the insurance companies get together then the era of high powered sport bikes in general will be over. EPA can make them quiet and ugly but add the insurance companies along with the help of various govermental "safty commissions" and they can make them slow. A permanent C mode on your future Hayabusa.

I dont get my bike inspected to begin with,,,Ill take the $25 ticket over putting that ugly sticker on my bike any day.plus I have friends who do emmisions testing,just like a car,you hook a clean car up ,passs and put the sticker on the car that would have normally failed
! thpught everybody did this
cool.gif

I dont get my bike inspected to begin with,,,Ill take the $25 ticket over putting that ugly sticker on my bike any day.plus I have friends who do emmisions testing,just like a car,you hook a clean car up ,passs and put the sticker on the car that would have normally failed
! thpught everybody did this
cool.gif
You can't do that in Tennessee. There are no stickers but your car has to have a pass recorded in the state's computer to renew your license plate.

Also, the local Suzuki Dealer told me that they have been notified by Suzuki to not install aftermarket exhausts on any Suzuki's and that the state of Tennessee has instructed the to not install aftermarkets on any bike registered in Tennessee. The dealer is in Georgia about five miles from the Tennessee state line.

Since I live in Tennessee I have kept my stock pipes in anticipation that someday I will have to re-install them
sad.gif

Im with Ray Im keeping my OEM's but here in MD there is NO emission testing for bikes
beerchug.gif

Power Comanders and replacing the exhaust with other than OEM is already " Illegal" on the street. I would think TRE's are illegal too because it modifies the emmissions. It's also illegal the replace a lawnmower exhaust with other than OEM or rejet the carb.

When they decide to start smog testing bikes there will be alot of people wishing they had kept the OEM system. It will be an instant fail without it.
They won't crack down hard, if at all, on past machinery...it'll only apply to the current year bikes and up, .......
That is totally untrue....

Talk to the thousands of motorist that had to replace fuel filler necks, AIR systems, CATS, and hot air systems on the vehicles in AZ and CA when the came down on Emissions...

I agree there will be lines of guys wishing they held on to stuff..

They won't crack down hard, if at all, on past machinery...it'll only apply to the current year bikes and up, .......
That is totally untrue....

Talk to the thousands of motorist that had to replace fuel filler necks, AIR systems, CATS, and hot air systems on the vehicles in AZ and CA when the came down on Emissions...

I agree there will be lines of guys wishing they held on to stuff..
Yep, that's one of the reasons I don't have my old 78 Suburban any more
rock.gif

thank the lord for Track Days!
smile.gif
Makes a standard street bike feel like the racebike it longs to be

So like I said...the epa is the government and the government is supposed to work for us...why don't we tell the epa to shove it up their
deadhorse.gif

When did the government turn into this untouchable unreachable self entity that does whatever it wants in contridiction to what the people want...That is what Jefferson and the 2nd ammendment is about...returning an unyeilding uncaring government back into the hands of the people

Screw all the politically correct BS...it's time....
guns.gif

When/If they make it where I have to run stock pipes and that I can't mod my bike is when I stop riding and make mine into either a racer or showbike. Stock sucks.

When I got my Full pipe put on my bike, the dealer gave me my oem system back. I told them "just throw that crap away". That's when he said "I can't do that, you're going to need them, to put back on, when you need to get your bike inspected, or sell it". I was like "why ?". Then he said "because that pipe is illegal for the street, and is only sold for off road use". So I said "why didn't they tell me that BEFORE you put it on". He said "not our responsibility, we'll do whatever you pay us to do, and most likely you'll be paying us to put them back on for you also". Which I agree, they should do what I pay them to do, and still would have done it. But what about the one's that don't know ??

The thing is corporations can create low emission, high power, low wieght pipes as stock. But it will cost them $$$. When the sale of bikes slow because of restrictions, then the bike companies will create low emission monsters again. It is all about supply and demand.

EPA will never win over the instrests of the almighty corporations! Is limiting bikes to 186mph really much safer than letting them go over 200mph? It was a compromise over saftey and sales numbers. There will be a slow down of the bikes for a period. When the sales slow, you better believe the fast bikes comes back.

The thing is corporations can create low emission, high power, low wieght pipes as stock. But it will cost them $$$. When the sale of bikes slow because of restrictions, then the bike companies will create low emission monsters again. It is all about supply and demand.

EPA will never win over the instrests of the almighty corporations! Is limiting bikes to 186mph really much safer than letting them go over 200mph? It was a compromise over saftey and sales numbers. There will be a slow down of the bikes for a period. When the sales slow, you better believe the fast bikes comes back.
who is limiting the top speed of bikes?

Corporations could care less, they all have to play be the same rule book and so they just pass the savings on.. What the manufactures do not like is CARB.. it thought it could be its own little EPA power house and the Feds told them to stuff if finally.. (sorry for the CA residents that got screwed by CARB over the years)

Anyway, they had to try to conform to a second set of rules and went to the feds to correct that issue..

In the mean time...

China is polluting at a rate never seen in the USA..

They are banning 50% of the vehicles off the streets in preparation for the Olympics.. the air is so bad that they can not breath and the health of the visiting athletes is being taken somewhat seriously.. (ever seen pics of their air? yuk.. LA of the 60's was not that bad)

Back