English

I tend to constrain myself to proper english vocabulary and grammar for the most part, the major exception being when I want to convey an accent in speech through text.

"yer gonna hafta" sounds very different in our heads than "you are going to have to"...it can be useful for expressing dialects. :)

Well ya know Doyle, if you speak good English, cain't nobody take that away from ya!

Picking on red necks :laugh:

Being that I'm fluent in Redneck, Drunk Slurring and Various other writing disorders - I'd be happy to translate, subtitle and/or annotate posts. :laugh:

Tip of the day - don't drink and post.

Signed,
Posters against drunken posting.

"wut do it come wif, cuz i have tha same one that i wanna git rid of?"

I just saw someone post this and had to crack up, isn't it harder to make sure the words are typed incorrectly than to simply type it in the correct way to begin with?

Dude I am gonna call you out next time :laugh: there's been a few post I could not figure out :rofl:

"have" or "has" refers to the "post" (sic). Since you used "few" as a modifier, posts should have been plural. So "have" should be used because there have been several ( more than one ) posts. "has" is used in singular.

"have" or "has" refers to the "post" (sic). Since you used "few" as a modifier, posts should have been plural. So "have" should be used because there have been several ( more than one ) posts. "has" is used in singular.

What is (sic), I see this all the time lately and have no idea what it is?

Sic Erat Scriptum shortened. Typically, it allows one to quote anothers incorrectly written words, giving one a sense of superiority about anothers poor grammar.

Kind of like LMGTFY.COM does with web searches. :laugh:

I will relay a humorous annodote now:

When I first moved back to Virgina after 5 years in Japan & Okinawa people said I had a funny accent, which was of course no accent at all. I pretty much spoke like they taught it in the book. So we are sitting on the bench one day at a football game waiting for the offense to turn the ball over! I black guy next to me looks at me and says "wut it say on da sco bo?" I asked him what did you say? So he repeated "wut it say on da sco bo?" So I look to the other side of me and I asked the White guy "what did he say?" The White guy said "He said what does it say on the score board, or basically what's the score?"

That was super embarrassing. I had to get a white guy to translate what another brother was saying. :banghead:

So you think English is messed up?

Try learning Spanish. Here is an short example.

I run.
You run.
We run.
They run

Notice how the word run stayed the same, but in Spanish the word for run would
change for each sentence.

Now add to the mix that most items are male or female.

Did everyone know that motorcycles are female?

Would've = a contraction of would and have
Should've = a contraction of should and have
Could've = a contraction of could and have

Would of
Should of = an indictment of our public education system :banghead:
Could of

What are we discussing in this old thread ? I pressed 2 and everything was in Spanish.

Back