engine serial #? where is it?

nectrplnt

Registered
I need to find the engine serial # so I can register my Bike in CA. can someone tell me where to find this?

I was wondering - Is CA the only state that requires the engine number when registering?
As I have never heard of this before. My state doesn't require that number.

Do they require the engine number on 4 wheel vehicles?

And IS the engine number then printed on the registration?

Ca. Does require this and when you get pulled over I have seen people go to jail for having the wrong motor in the frame

Ca. Does require this and when you get pulled over I have seen people go to jail for having the wrong motor in the frame

You mean to tell me that everytime you get pulled over the cop is going to look at the VIN and EIN?

No one has answered if 4 wheel vehicles need that number too. If not seems like a double standard. :banghead:

If someone stole my ride and my engine showed up on an NCIC hit I would be happy.

You mean to tell me that everytime you get pulled over the cop is going to look at the VIN and EIN?

No one has answered if 4 wheel vehicles need that number too. If not seems like a double standard. :banghead:
CA DMV requires the information be sent to them if you swap a motor in your car.

Engine or Motor Change: Distinguishing Vehicle Identification Number

4161. (a) Whenever a motor vehicle engine or motor is installed, except temporarily, in a motor vehicle which is identified on the ownership and registration certificates by motor or engine number or by both the motor and frame numbers and subject to registration under this code, the owner of the motor vehicle shall, within 10 days thereafter, give notice to the department upon a form furnished by it containing a description of the motor vehicle engine or motor installed, including any identifying number thereon and the date of the installation. The owner of the motor vehicle shall also submit to the department with the notice the certificate of ownership and registration card covering the motor vehicle in which the motor vehicle engine or motor is installed and evidence of ownership covering the new or used motor vehicle engine or motor installed and such other documents as may be required by the department.

It's a pain in the ass to do anything motor-related in CA. :(

CA DMV requires the information be sent to them if you swap a motor in your car.

Engine or Motor Change: Distinguishing Vehicle Identification Number

4161. (a) Whenever a motor vehicle engine or motor is installed, except temporarily, in a motor vehicle which is identified on the ownership and registration certificates by motor or engine number or by both the motor and frame numbers and subject to registration under this code, the owner of the motor vehicle shall, within 10 days thereafter, give notice to the department upon a form furnished by it containing a description of the motor vehicle engine or motor installed, including any identifying number thereon and the date of the installation. The owner of the motor vehicle shall also submit to the department with the notice the certificate of ownership and registration card covering the motor vehicle in which the motor vehicle engine or motor is installed and evidence of ownership covering the new or used motor vehicle engine or motor installed and such other documents as may be required by the department.

It's a pain in the ass to do anything motor-related in CA. :(

Legal mumbo jumbo.

It says motor vehicle - Not motorcycle. So 1 more time DO 4 WHEEL VEHICLES NEED THE ENGINE NUMBER TOO?

If the VIN and EIN are on the title - then I don't see why the OP needed to know where to look for the EIN unless the engine was changed.
When a vehicle is sold (at least in my state) the title is signed off to the purchaser and then they take it to the DMV to have it registered in their name/address etc. (pay taxes, fees).

I know CA is different than the rest of the world. Somethings they appear to be very easy on and others very tough on.
Illegals can come into CA and no big deal - yet someone without the proper registration form for their vehicle goes to jail. And in CA you get to pay some of the highest tax rates in the nation.
I guess that's the price you pay for good weather most of the time (no snow - unless higher elevations).

Back