Electric water pump how to?

AW10

Registered
Long story short I put a Gen1 in a 4x4 buggy. I used a radiator and fan off of a truck and it works great.... most of the time. The problem im having is because I mounted the radiator in the back of the buggy and when I go up steep hills the radiator is below the motor and wont gravity feed water to the motor. Motor gets hot and I back off the hill and it immediately cools back off within seconds. Im thinking the fix to my problem is using an electric water pump mounted at the radiator so it will always have water feeding the pump to push to the motor ( about 5 feet of hose ). Ive tried searching on the forum but couldn't really find anything.

Im assuming I have to take the mechanical pump off and put a block off plate on and gut the thermostat so it wont close off and cause a hose to blow off from the pressure of the pump?? Also, can I block off the barb that comes out of the side of the thermostat? Im not really sure what it does and it made me plumb the overflow with a T because the truck radiator doesn't have an extra barb like the busa radiator does.

Any recommendation's on a pump and info or a link on how to plumb it up would be greatly appreciated. I doubt any pump that mounts to the motor will now work for my pain in the butt application.

Thanks in advance

Ok first off it sounds like you have a air bubble in the cooling system. You need to make sure its completely full.
Also if there is any way you can get the radiator as high as the cylinder head, as it would be on a bike that will help also.

Now if you really want an a electric water pump, here are your choices.
The first one replaces the oem pump, and no plug is needed,
Schnitz Electric Inline Universal Water Pump
And here is a inline pump from RCC turbos, that you will need a pump block off for,
RCC Inline Electric Water Pump
The block off,
MPS Water Pump Block Off Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (99-15) - Schnitz Racing
And the post about the RCC pump and pics,,
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/turbo/145211-rcc-electric-water-pumps.html
Hope all this helps, but start with the first, make sure there is no air in the system!

I is impossible for me to mount my radiator above the motor unfortunately. I don't think it is an air bubble problem because I can take the line off at the thermostat and its all fluid that comes out. I think its just the fact that when the water pump pumps water back to the radiator it will puke out of the overflow before it will gravity feed back to the motor. The lines are about 5 foot Id say and there is not way it will gravity feed on a really steep hill. I have ZERO cooling problems on level ground. It will run all day and never get hot once but if I get on a steep hill it starts to get hot.

Do you have to gut the thermostat to run electric pumps? I don't really understand how it will pump if the thermostat is closed off. Seems like it would either blow a line off or burn the pump up.

Not sure on the thermostat, the installation instructions would tell you that.

Back