Ebay

Chevy454

Registered
i just finished looking over ebay and i was wondering..for the guys that bought a bike off ebay how did you go by doing it? i mean i bought simple thing off ebay but nothing in the thousands

never bought one but I did sell a few on ebay. I know I made a couple people very happy but i could see how it could go very wrong for someone

I bought a Triumph daytona and I had no problems. I was lucky.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought my 07 off Ebay. It was located 1250 miles away. I had a local biker check the bike out for me. Then I spoke by telephone with the owner. Then I had him fax me a copy of the clear title. After that I gave him a $500 deposit and paid the balance when I picked it up. It went smooth. You need to cover your azz every step of the way.

I was lucky and my dream 2k8 popped up locally on craigs lists, so I didn't have to deal with Ebay. Always buy local when you can.. way too many scams!

I bought mine on ebay. The biggest things to me (other than price and condition) were the number of SALES by the seller and the reputation. In my case, it was a dealer who had sold a mix of exotic Euro cars, muscle cars, and Ducati and Triumph motorcycles, with a 100% rating on 90+ sales. More so, I emailed him with a phone number and found out what his bottom price was (below his "buy it now" price). I accepted, he told me to bid, and then closed the auction early. All in all, a mostly successful transaction.

Downsides: I didn't get to see the bike first. There were things that were described, but it still would have been better to see first. That the bike was very new and very low mileage was a big consideration.

In general, I think vehicles on ebay go for wayyyy too much. Better deals are to be had on Craigs List and I have done far more there (buying and selling) than I have on ebay (at least for vehicles).

I was lucky...mine was only 90 minutes away. :cheerleader: I drove down to check it out, placed a winning bid a few days later just before the auction ended, and then drove back down to pick it up.

But I'm sure a fellow org member would stop by and check out a bike for you in they were nearby.

Yeah, I missed most of ebays "golden age" ,short lived as it was,as both a buyer/seller.
Rock on, craigslist,well at least, till it too goes south.Will probably be sold outright or become e-bay 2 before to long.But in the meantime.:thumbsup:Well except for all the scammers-GET A REAL JOB.:moon: :beerchug:

Ebay is still fine... I bought a 99 R1 and a 05 ZX10R both from ebay and both good deals. (drove them for a season and sold for profit) I also bought my 05 Durango and a Nissian Maxama as well... Safe to say I have spent some cash on ebay. I ALWAYS pick up the vehicle in person, that way if it is not what you thought it was... just leave. Meet in a public place and your fine. :beerchug:

This is how I bought mine and would only do it this way again. I was only looking in Texas as I would not buy a bike with out seeing it so I found my 05 LE in Dallas, TX I contacted the seller we agreed on a price I said I was coming to look at it and made the trip to Dallas. I then told him I was not going to take the Bike with out riding it and I put the money in his had and took the bike for a spin to check the tranny and what not got back and loaded her up and brought her home. She now lives in the garage with my other two SV's :thumbsup:

Bought mine in Ohio off e-bay. I had the buyer send multiple photos w/ time & date stamps -fax copy of title etc. Shipped through Forward Air to DFW.

I have sold a Porsche, Jet Boat & 4 bikes through e-bay w/ no problems.

Three bikes off ebay no problems, just gotta do your homework as said above. As to pictures I always have them send me a current picture of the bike with a copy of the local newspapers front page in the photo... Or I have a member from the oRg go and check it out for me. So far so good :beerchug:

Bought my 2006 on ebay and could not be happier. My Busa was in SC. Drove down there and it was exactly wht the woman told me it would be. Paid her and trailered my new bike home.
I sell cars on ebay. I work for a dealer. You just have to call and ask all the right questions and check the sellers feedback. Unhappy people leave negative feedback, you will know who to do business with just do your homework.

bought my first bike from ebay had it for 2yrs and decided to upgrade , sold it back to the guy who sold it to me , trailerd it back half way to LA for him to pic it up . I miss the old girl

New Image.jpg

I just did this last weekend. Bike was 2 hours away. I think the big thing is to contact and talk to the seller. Be reasonable (there are a bunch of people who call and lowball) and polite, a serious seller has nothing to hide and WANTs to sell what you WANT to buy.

In my case, I got pics; Tufbusa called the guy and found out what his reserved price was; i bid it at 1 sec from end and won it. Called the guy and worked out that I would come to his house for the transaction - if bike was not as advertised i would have walked away. No problems my 07 Gixxer 1K sits out in the garage (calling me to come ride her).

I would NOT recommend buying anything at that price that I could not lay my hands on before buying, unless the seller had a heck of a reputation, had a store and was easy to hunt down if necessary.

Back