ebay grrrr

whzyrd

Registered
So im watching ebay last night it has less than 1 minute to go in 2 auctions im bidding on rear rim and a swing arm and with less than 1 min to go i get swooped and loose both of them grrrrrrrrrr i was soooo mad darn last min swoopers
Rich

you know this reminds me of teh commercial with the two guys bidding on the football jersey and the one has dialup and the other has high speed. Call and sue you isp. The only logical thing to do

It's happen to just about all of us that have bid on items on E-Bay... It really sucks, but what can you do that the business...
mad.gif

Number of times It's happened. Number of bidders talked to about ebay bidding. They say sniping is the way to go. I see it as less then honorable. Have a hottly bid on item for the last four days. Going back forth between familar bidders. All there attending the game of bidding on auction. Ten bids, then fifteen, twenty bids at the closing minutes. One bidder manualy bids within the last 30 seconds. They don't win it. Out of the blue, complete stranger sniped the bid in last two seconds. Heh can imagine the look on the other bidder's faces who were playing along, 'that SOB'
biggrin.gif

There is internet aution sniping services. The service will snip a bid with a maximum amount bid as limit. They have all the angles figured. Right down to the atomic clock ebay uses. Somehow jam up the last fifteen seconds to other snip bidding. The service makes money by charging small fee per snip bid won.

I am a sniper. Shoot why else is there a time limit??? It has happened to me and I have done it to quite a few people. If people don't like it they should bid more instead of playing the back and forth game
biggrin.gif
I set in my mind the highest I would pay for something then watch it until there is 30sec to 1 min left and then if the high bid is not over what I want to pay I will snipe it.

proxy bid bro, prevents last minute swoopers. I've lost some good items that way too, but I'm guilty of swooping a few times myself. Takes a swooper to know a swooper
tounge.gif

Use two windows. One that you refresh all the time while the auction is closing to an end, and one other window with your final bid in it and the submit button ready. when it gets down to 30 - 15 seconds, hit the second window with your bid in it. It has worked well for me but others do it also.

countsled.gif

I have used www.esnipe.com for three years. Bid can be placed 1 second before close. They've added a "bid group" feature to bid on multiple similar items;  the first successful bid cancels all others. Sniping is the smart way to bid. Bidding any time before auction's end will only tip your hand and drive the price up.

Bottom line is you gotta be honest with yourself, and bid as much as you really think the item is worth to you - even if you do it within last few seconds.

Keep in mind the following.

1. e-bay's clock is absolutely synched with atomic clock in Colorado. I have atomic watch, and checked them many times. If you need to know exact running time go to www.time.gov.

2. Placement of your bid is timed when you click SUBMIT button. It doesn't matter how long after that it will take to refresh the screen. I tested this many times. Same goes for when you refresh the screen to see how much time left. The time left actually pertains to the moment when you clicked the REFRESH button, and not when the screen was re-painted.

As for last second bidding, I see nothing wrong with that. Done it number of times, and been outbid number of times. The key is to do proxy bidding (which is default behavior anyway), and be honest with yourself.

Here is me winning a used laptop. Pay attention at AUCTION ENDS time, and LAST BID time. It actually happened accidentally. I came back from lunch, and it turned out I had 24 sec left. click here to see auction.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094767336 -->

Use two windows.  One that you refresh all the time while the auction is closing to an end, and one other window with your final bid in it and the submit button ready.  when it gets down to 30 - 15 seconds, hit the second window with your bid in it.  It has worked well for me but others do it also.
THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!

You could always try SourceForge and try out the Open Source auction sniper tools.  They work nicely
smile.gif
 Source Forge is a great place that developers store many different Open Source projects.  Ty it out
smile.gif

Go to http://sourceforge.net/search/ and type in "auction sniper".  Save you the stress and headache of trying to do it manually.

Best of all, Open Source = no fee
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Iced
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094821846 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

HaHaHa!! I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh. Anyone who has frequently used ebay sure knows about this. A couple months ago I was bidding on a upper bracket for my Busa, and with one minute left, the damn computer decided to time out on me...
mad.gif
As luck had it, it was me and only one other person bidding on it and he beat me out by $1. It's almost like two kids in a tug-of-war with the only drumstick left in the KFC box. It's mine! No it's not...it's mine! Ya know.. poop like that. But, just the other day I beat out 14 other people in the last minute on a bid for a chrome gas cap...
wink.gif
smile.gif
. See how ebay can play with one's emotions?
rock.gif
wink.gif

wink.gif

I had no idea that Ebay bidding could cause so much stress! In a few years, there's going to be a self-help group working through "swooper" issues...
laugh.gif

...hi...my name's Johnny...I was outbid by a swooper...it's been 3 days since I was swooped, and I just can't shake this one...
wink.gif

Back