Easy cushdrive rubbers?

Klutch556

Registered
So after reading up on replacing the Cushdrive rubbers, I was ready for a pain in the ass time.... however my old ones popped right out and the new ones slid right in... this normal? I mean I ain’t mad but poop I was ready for a fight. Now I’m kinda let down, all that build up for nothin...

So after reading up on replacing the Cushdrive rubbers, I was ready for a pain in the ass time.... however my old ones popped right out and the new ones slid right in... this normal? I mean I ain’t mad but poop I was ready for a fight. Now I’m kinda let down, all that build up for nothin...

What kind of new ones?

This looks seated right, right?
75B9DF53-7707-4D15-BAD1-B336FE291B9C.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks seated right, right?
View attachment 1622404
Klutch you'll know when its home. Pull yer sprocket carrier off,hit them rubbers home with yer rubber mallet. Then place yer sprocket carrier on top,line it up,and push it in with force,wiggle it,jiggle it,stand on it whatever. It will seat further than what you have done so far. The clincher would be on wheel re-install...it wouldn't fit. GET ANGRY at it,thats what you wanted to do right.
Rubb.

@Klutch556 Did you see my tutorial on this? The OEM dampers fell right out which was no surprise because the sprocket carrier did too. Sensei dampers went in ok. I had a be-otch of a time getting the sprocket carrier back in and I even stood on it. A few light blows with a large rubber mallet did the trick if I recall. Read the tutorial.

I only did this once but if I were to do it again, I'd probably just try installing the wheel. I think torquing the axle would press that sprocket carrier in. Check the axle torque often and tighten as needed. Might work. I hate beating on things.

The clincher would be on wheel re-install...it wouldn't fit. GET ANGRY at it,thats what you wanted to do right.
Rubb.

Then again Mr rubb might be correct. The wheel may be too wide to fit in the swingarm along with the rear caliper bracket if the sprocket carrier is not all the way seated. I kind of think it would fit and then some but as mentioned, I never tried it. Easy enough to give it a try. If it doesn't fit, give a few raps with a rubber mallet. Remember to take the spacers out of both sides of the axle hole first.

Place a couple old heavy bath towels down, folded. Place the rotor side down on the towels and place the carrier into the slots between the rubbers as far as you can. Stand on the sprocket varying your weight around until everything pops into place. You’re gonna love a tightened up drive train. Don’t forget the spacers! :D

OK the rear wheel WILL NOT fit in the swingarm unless you have the sprocket carrier pressed in all the way.;)

...an a beer i-in a tree. :beerchug:

OK the rear wheel WILL NOT fit in the swingarm unless you have the sprocket carrier pressed in all the way.;)

...an a beer i-in a tree. :beerchug:
Just because I read this thread from @Klutch556 and decided to install my red dampers that I like an idiot ordered from brocks instead of schnitz thinking they'd get here sooner :banghead: . Once I started installing I decided to take what mythos and @rubbersidedown where talking about and see if I could install the wheel without the sprocket carrier fully seated. I had an incident couple years ago where my tire was reinstalled without the center spacer and it actually caused a little deforming on my carrier and wore the cush rubbers pretty good. When I went to install it with the red ones last week I could only get it a little further then what klutch got in his pic above so I decided to try fitting the wheel and was able to just barely squeeze it in. I then used the axle slowly and without having to use much pressure to seat there carrier, then I backed off the axle nut then torqued to spec. Ive checked it several times to make sure it didn't seat any farther and my axle was still properly torqued and all is good. So if necessary it is possible to seat them the last little bit by installing the wheel and being cautious, obviously not the ideal way and a bit of a pain to get everything installed but it is possible.:thumbsup:

Just because I read this thread from @Klutch556 and decided to install my red dampers that I like an idiot ordered from brocks instead of schnitz thinking they'd get here sooner :banghead: . Once I started installing I decided to take what mythos and @rubbersidedown where talking about .So if necessary it is possible to seat them the last little bit by installing the wheel and being cautious, obviously not the ideal way and a bit of a pain to get everything installed but it is possible.:thumbsup:
Nobody said doing it the right way is any better than your way.

We are not here to judge. Just pick up the pieces when they fall apart.
That,is what friends are for. :thumbsup:
:poke:

Glad it worked out Dopey. Awesome.
Rubb.

I reckon you may be waiting and wondering for a while lmao, It's been 11 years since he was last seen here . . . :laugh: :rolleyes: :moon:
stangman_50

Registered

Joined Jan 28, 2008

Last seen Jun 17, 2009

:popcorn:
Just because I read this thread from @Klutch556 and decided to install my red dampers that I like an idiot ordered from brocks instead of schnitz thinking they'd get here sooner :banghead: . Once I started installing I decided to take what mythos and @rubbersidedown where talking about and see if I could install the wheel without the sprocket carrier fully seated. I had an incident couple years ago where my tire was reinstalled without the center spacer and it actually caused a little deforming on my carrier and wore the cush rubbers pretty good. When I went to install it with the red ones last week I could only get it a little further then what klutch got in his pic above so I decided to try fitting the wheel and was able to just barely squeeze it in. I then used the axle slowly and without having to use much pressure to seat there carrier, then I backed off the axle nut then torqued to spec. Ive checked it several times to make sure it didn't seat any farther and my axle was still properly torqued and all is good. So if necessary it is possible to seat them the last little bit by installing the wheel and being cautious, obviously not the ideal way and a bit of a pain to get everything installed but it is possible.:thumbsup:

Coulda swore someone here told me to do this. The only thing I'd be careful about is torquing the axle nut more than specced. If it's torqued to spec, it should compress the carrier into the drum as you ride. Check the torque after every ride until all the parts are pressed together as tight as they're supposed to be.

Coulda swore someone here told me to do this. The only thing I'd be careful about is torquing the axle nut more than specced. If it's torqued to spec, it should compress the carrier into the drum as you ride. Check the torque after every ride until all the parts are pressed together as tight as they're supposed to be.
"Compress the carrier into the drum as you ride" ???
You didn't really just say that and recommend it,did you?

Torkin' the axle nut is NOT the way to put things together.
Whats next,squeeze in new wheel bearings.

Cut it out you guys... :laugh:
The swingarm assembly is not yer "poor-mans" hydraulic press.
Rubb.

Back