E85??

tcbusa

Registered
Has anyone tuned and ran their turbo using E85? If so what A/F ratio should u aim for. I know it takes more volume then gasoline also what kind of boost pressure can you run? Thanks for the help

I made a whole writeup on my e85 build not too long ago and posted it elsewhere, I might as well paste it here too :)

For those of you still on the fence on e85, here's some "stage 1" data. This is from my stage 1/standalone build I'm doing on my gen 1.

The setup:
2005 Hayabusa, 100% stock motor - no base plate, stock compression. RCC stage 1 kit (minus the fuel system) Fuel system is a Bosch 044 pump with ID1000 injectors (1000cc saturated) and an Aeromotive 1:1 FPR.

The engine management is an Autronic SM4, installed in the tail via an adapter harness that I built. The OEM engine harness is still in place, and its totally plug and play, with the exception that I replaced the stock cam/crank wires with shielded ones, just in case. 100% stock cam and crank sensors. To verify, I dyno tuned the bike with the SM4 n/a before installing the turbo, found the optimum power, then plugged the stock ECU right back in (which I had previously tuned using ecu editor) and duplicated the power curve. Pulls to redline very clean, and the bike runs smoother in general on the Autronic. So, anyone looking to go standalone now as another option :) So in short, its a RCC stage 1 with a standalone instead of an FMU. The ignition timing is tuned at optimum for the entire power curve (which turned out to be less than "stock" naturally aspirated values).

Here is the final 91 octane pull versus the final e85 pull. Please note that these numbers have SAE correction factor applied. I am at high altitude here in Colorado, so the correction is higher than what you sea level guys see, but this is also on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, so I would encourage you to pay less attention to the "actual numbers" and more attention to the comparison (i.e. magnitude of the gain over stock, the gain between 91 and e85, etc.).

DSC00080.JPG

Here is the best all-motor pull versus the final e85 pull:
DSC00078.JPG

Here is the boost and a/f curve (the a/f is displayed in gasoline units, however it is on e85 so please remember that: final lambda when it was all said and done was about .78-.79!!!).
DSC00081.JPG

To sum it up: you can see the power benefit with E85. Other benefits: its 105 octane on paper, but it acts much higher because of its cooling properties. It does a great job of cooling the valves and combustion chambers. EGTs are significantly lowered. I don't have an EGT probe on the bike, but I do have some data from a car I tuned a couple years ago. Its was a supercharged non inter/aftercooled 2.2L 4-cylinder, we did the same test, and it picked up 20whp and lowered the EGTs by almost 200 degrees. Downsides: hard to start when really cold out since it doesn't atomize well below certain temperatures (outside temps that I generally don't ride in LOL), and it requires ~30% more fuel at any given boost level. In my beginning to get into the bike world, I'm quite surprised that E85 hasn't "caught on", its everywhere in car-land :)

Any more questions or data you'd like to see, just ask.

You should tune for the same A/F. Like Servion said, that means adding about 30% fuel across the board. If you noticed he used 1000cc injectors. You'd have to have secondaries to support that much additional fuel or....1000cc injectors in his case.

Personally if I had a dedicated drag/track bike I would probably switch over to E85. It's cheap and is high octane.

I went with 1000cc injectors because the ID1000s flow excellent and atomize very well - this fuel system is VERY overkill for the power I'm making right now. My current fuel system is good to at least 500rwhp. I figured since I was building it myself and I have the ability to control them (standalone), no reason not to go big on the fuel system.

E85 is perfect on the street. You can pretty much get away with murder on e85, you make more power, and its cheaper than 91/93.

Back