Dyno'd my bike tonight

Relsek

Registered
I was driving home tonight and saw at the local bike night a mobile dyno set up, so I rode over and asked if he could dyno my busa. He said he had never done a busa before and I think we must have done something wrong. He ran it with the airbox off so he could access the plug wires, and ran it in 5th gear.

He was a real nice guy and I think he sincerely wants to do it right so I have his number and we're going to try again at his house.  

What I need to know from you experts is, what gear, and how do you do it with the airbox on so that you don't have a bunch of vaccuum leaks?

*****edit*****
I forgot to give the numbers. hp was only 135.04 and torque was 82.77

We ran two sets of three and both came out the same.

One funny thing was the look on all the harley guys faces when the dyno was running and the power line jumped off the graph. The graph only went to 100 and the last bike done only reached 70, it was a big harley.

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138155202 -->

On the Busa you typical tap off one of the coil wires for the RPM... not touching the airbox.
5th Gear is common... someone will correct me if I am wrong.

However, your numbers are wrong... unless he pulled one plug wire off to do the dyno
laugh.gif

Mine dyno'd at 147rwhp back when it was stock... that was considered on the low end of what should be expected.

<!--EDIT|Cecil_Stringer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138155535 -->

On the Busa you typical tap off one of the coil wires for the RPM... not touching the airbox.
5th Gear is common... someone will correct me if I am wrong.

However, your numbers are wrong... unless he pulled one plug wire off to do the dyno
laugh.gif

Mine dyno'd at 147rwhp back when it was stock... that was considered on the low end of what should be expected.
I'm sure that having the airbox off affected the hp in a big way. How do you access the plug wire without removing the airbox?

It sounds like the dyno guy was more "atuned" to cruisers and didn't quite know what to do with a modern sport bike. Either that or his dyno couldn't handle it and the busa probably put it out of whack.
laugh.gif

I'm sure it'll all work out ....

HEY...anyword on the snake.. How's he doing...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

He should of undone the airbox,clipped onto the #1 wire,put the airbox back on so the sensor could do it's job and the run should be done in 4th gear always for hp pulls unless doing a all gear run.You should be 145-157hp stock...you may find a few exceptional Wednesday bikes out there with 160hp stock...LOL

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138176821 -->

look most moblie dynos are not set up correctly and are ususlly not very accurate. plus some operators are just idiots.
they only want to put it up and do one pull and take your money.
you need a min of three pulls to get a reading
the bike needs to have at least 40psi air
pull done in 4th unless you have 16 front
and it needs to be centerd on the drum and STRAPPED.
just wondering where the graph is?
did you get one?

What gear for the pull if you have a 16T front? And rear gearing doesn't affect the pull as far as that is concerned?

look most moblie dynos are not set up correctly and are ususlly not very accurate. plus some operators are just idiots.
they only want to put it up and do one pull and take your money.
you need a min of three pulls to get a reading
the bike needs to have at least 40psi air
pull done in 4th unless you have 16 front
and it needs to be centerd on the drum and STRAPPED.
just wondering where the graph is?
did you get one?
I have the graph, my scanner isn't working for some reason, I'll try to get it working tonight and post it.

like jonny said, its also more accurate to feed some fresh air into the holes. maybe thats what jonny meant by 45 psi.

The other thing you can do Kev is just get a HP reading.Then they dont have to mess getting to wires and such. Thats only needed for the torque reading. My last pull was.... and a top speed pull in 6th of course,was 198MPH.

its fun stuff.

Kevin, he's owned the dyno for three weeks. He's learning. i saw him there the first night out and could tell it and he were new to the world of motorcycling. The first week he wouldn't even do a sportbike. He is a nice guy but he does all his pulls in top gear which from what i have read in the past is wrong. Well, at least on the Busa. If I'm not mistaken you are looking for the gear that gets you closest to the 1:1 ratio.

Back