Duplicate Key

Corey Mathery

Registered
So I am wanting to get a duplicate made for my Busa. What is the best course of action for this? Should I go to a Suzuki dealer? A locksmith? Just curious where I should start.

I still have mine, I just want to get a copy made, incase something happens.

Also, do I need to have proof of ownership if I am going to a dealer or locksmith? Thanks for any advice!

Go to an automotive locksmith, they will advise you whether you need a genuine key or not, coded key or not, etc.
I ordered the blank (OEM aerodynamic with Kanji) then took it to a locksmith. They did the rest. The US versions of these (Gen 2, at least) bikes don't have the built-in immobilizer chip, so any blank cut from the prev key will work. Also, I put the locksmith on standby while I went & checked the fitment, FYI, cuz mine had some issues and the 'smith put it on a buffer for a couple and no worries since

So I am wanting to get a duplicate made for my Busa. What is the best course of action for this? Should I go to a Suzuki dealer? A locksmith? Just curious where I should start.

I still have mine, I just want to get a copy made, incase something happens.

Also, do I need to have proof of ownership if I am going to a dealer or locksmith? Thanks for any advice!
U can get blanks from Amazon, the plastic isn't the best quality but u get usually 3 to a pack for real cheap and get them cut anywhere. If you want an oem replacement it'll be a little more for the blank and you'll have to go to a dealer just make sure u call around first because not all dealers cut keys as I found out.

Hopefully you have the key code written in the owners manual or elsewhere. The dealership will be able to get you a copy if you provide the code. I had one made years back and I ordered it from the dealership I bought the bike from. They still needed the key code.

what lucky guys you are without that immobilizer chip

the european gen2 busa definitely all have. :redface::banghead:

if you got that chip, like us here, it is a sad, terrible, long lasting "trip" :banghead: and costs a lot of money :(
to get a new key.

Yeah, I have a family member that has a chip in their key. It's a major pain in the ass to get a replacement!

@Corey Mathery
and @ all

beg your pardon - i forgot something to mention

the "function" of the immobilizer chip, at european gen2, can be flashed out of the ecu
by the same computer program what is used e.g. to get rid of the top speed limitation.

that way "cleaned" the ecu never more "ask" for the immbilizer and every "second" key will work / the bike will start as usual.

so my brother explained it to me on request and he should know, because he's the electronic freak of both of us and has already changed the "mapping" in various ecu's. ;)

Just wanted to update this thread! I finally got my keys done! Just went to a local locksmith, and they had me done in about 5 mins for $7! Can't complain at all, quick and easy. Anyways, I appreciate all of y'alls help beforehand!

Back